The price of flowers

Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:33 pm
http://www.belleville.k12.wi.us/bhs/pathways/images/wildrose.jpg

An Albertan Wildrose for you, k...they're not in season yet, but with those prices honey, buy local. :wink:

The prices were probably elevated, today being Valentines day and all. Go back tomorrow, maybe you'll get a deal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:33 pm
For caprice, my travel forum friend.
The first time I ever saw a black orchid was when we were driving to Petra in Jordan. Our driver stopped, so we could take some pictures - they grow in the open field in Jordan. This one was taken at the greenhouse at Golden Gate Park, yesterday.

http://photothru.com/photo_filedb1/A5/58/29/A55829/viewable/A55829_131CA1638E60_1.jpg
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:36 pm
These are quite unusual...aqua roses.http://www.angelfire.com/la3/maryshome/aquarosevase.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:36 pm
Thanks Ceili. What a beautiful flower :-D

I don't think it's right to over charge for things simply because there is a demand for it. If anything, I think they should drop the prices since people are buying like crazy. Jeeez!!! Valentines day is no excuse to rob people!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:39 pm
Beautiful CI :-D

Caprice
Wow!!! Those are gorgeous :-D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:44 pm
Hey, dys, save a swig of Chambord for me! Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:45 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Hey, dys, save a swig of Chambord for me! Wink

Yeah, me too Very Happy Drunk
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:50 pm
My husband gave me a dozen beautiful red roses...no idea what he paid for them. I guess I'll see it on the credit card bill.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 10:59 pm
Aw thanks c.i.! Smile Beautiful foliage too! What other areas in the middle east did you visit? I've heard that many countries there will not allow you entrance if you have a stamp from Israel in your passport. So sad. Sad

*takes note to not post any pictures of Petra on the travel game page* Not that I likely would anyhow...being as it is a very recognizable landmark! Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:08 pm
colorbook wrote:
My husband gave me a dozen beautiful red roses...no idea what he paid for them. I guess I'll see it on the credit card bill.

We want pictures Very Happy

Actually, I didn't mean to get people to go looking at the credid card bills, but don't forget to post the price here ;-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
caprice, Our tour guide in Jordan told us about that restriction on passports with Israel stamps on it. Fortunately for us, we flew in from Egypt. After our five day tour in Jordan, we flew back to Cairo and spent one night at the Swissotel before flying home.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:28 am
But isn't it really sad? The entire middle eastern region is so rich in history and to be denied because of....well....politics....just doesn't sit well with me. (I know there's a lot of history there too, so more than politics, but at its simplest level, that's what it is.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:32 am
It is sad. I would love to one day visit Israel, but not in this political climate where one doesn't know when a bomb will go off.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:21 am
Yes, that is so true! I've also read that Clinton came so close to a deal between Palestine and Israel. It's too bad it never happened. I would love to go there some day too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:45 am
I guess I shoulda warned ya, Montana. I actually knew that flower prices were going to be elevated this Valentines Day. With that big, deep freeze a couple of weeks ago, there were (seriously) some major cargo losses of flowers that were being transported to the mid-west and north-east.

It's a wonky business to be in at the best of times. This is not the best of times.

I'm loving the rose I got yesterday, but I'm also marvelling that Jeff got any, as I know how much he'd had to have paid.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:01 am
So, I shouldn't expect to pay these prices all the time. I knew there had to be something going on since people around here are not the richest people and if that's what their normal prices were, they would be out of business in no time.

Thanks for the info Beth. I can breath easier now. Sometime in the spring I'm going to go check it out again, just for the sake of snooping.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:08 am
Well, got some roses yesterday on the market: between 0.75 (US) cents and (long, 'thick' ones) 1.25 $ per single rose. (Bought 20 tulpits for 5 $, too)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:11 am
Sigh!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:48 am
Well, you've got some choices, Montana. You can move somewhere they can grow flowers year-round, or you can pay the price of bringing them in. You're probably in one of the worst places in North America. Not close to any decent growers market.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:22 am
Did someone say business idea...Montana, there could be a future in flowers.
0 Replies