• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,209 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 01:42 am
@zara khan,
It's a rating assigned to a substance that describes how much heat will be required to raise the temperature of a specific mass a specific number of degrees. The measurements of temp, heat, and mass are usually metric. They don't have to be.
raprap

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 09:41 am
@roger,
Roger, I believe that is heat capacity, and with gasses there are two types of heat capacity constant pressure (Cp). and Constant volumn (Cv).

'Specific heat' is a comparison of the heat capacity of a paticular material to the heat capacity of a standard material (usually water for solids and liquids). Consequently 'specific heat' is dimensionless.

Rap
roger

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 11:16 am
@raprap,
I stand corrected. From my American Heritage Dictionary.

1. The ratio of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one unit of temperature to that required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a reference material, usu. water by the same amount.

2. The amount of heat, in calories required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one Celsius degree.

Since my answer was so completely at variance with the above, I should probably avoid this kind of question in the future.
contrex

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 12:59 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Since my answer was so completely at variance with the above, I should probably avoid this kind of question in the future.

I wouldn't worry. People who think that the way to do their science homework is to ask questions like that on a web forum are doomed to get an F anyhow.
JTT

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 03:12 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
People who think that the way to do their science homework is to ask questions like that on a web forum are doomed to get an F anyhow.

Where did you venture for your English grammar homework when there was no A2K, C?
0 Replies