Undetectable modem?! HP Vectra

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
I own a genuine HP VECTRA Pentium III , Windows NT.

I have this problem in my PC which doesn't detect the modem.I used to access the internet using a cable connection through the network card. I cut my cable subscribtion and I now want to use a modem dial-up connection, but though I did plugg the modem (it is internal) inside the main board of my computer, it realized that there was an intrusion, but did not detect my modem. I changed it's location to another slot in the motherboard, still the same.

What's the problem?

P.S : This internal modem trying to install is a used modem. I got it from my old computer. But it was still functioning ever since I last used it in my previous PC. Why isn't it being DETECTED even? What should I do?

Please help

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,048 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rorwizard

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
Try removing all of its properties from the device manager, and then restart. Make sure you have all of the right drivers before you restart.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 07:34 pm
rorwizard suggested what I was going to say. I had a dud modem with my first computer and endless, endless headaches. For someone with no computer background, it provided me with a bit of an education and removed any fear I may have had about hardware. Actually, now that I think about it, I think an absent driver may be your problem.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 08:00 pm
Did you install the modem drivers? WinNT isn't a plug and play OS. Without drivers all NT knows is that there is some "Unknown Hardware" out there in the system.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:07 pm
it worked!
It worked! Removed the drivers, unplugged the device and then plugged it back in...it recognized it automatically!
Good thing I asked for your advice guys..
Im now sending this message using the new modem Smile Smile Smile

Thanks a bunch!!
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:19 pm
Removed the drivers? Now I'm confuddled!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:25 pm
He probably still had the old drivers for his old modem installed and they must have been incompatible with his current modem so NT was hanging up trying to use those drivers.

When he removed those NT detected the new modem and used the generic drivers (or he also installed the correct drivers) which seem to be working.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:28 pm
Ahhh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought he removed the drivers with no further addition of drivers later on.
0 Replies

rorwizard

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 04:54 pm
Good thinking huh?
0 Replies