Are Agnostics Completely Useless?

Individual

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:32 pm
Oooh, I feel the wrath of god bearing down on me. Sorry prophet micah, it was just a little joke.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:42 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't see the justice in your poll. Agnostics are humans - slightly misguided, of course, but most humans are far from useless, regardless of their thoughts on God (god, Zeus, whatever).

I would say the same thing about the religious. In fact, I could also say that they're totally f@cking delusional!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 11:57 pm
Don't hold back like that Wilso, it's not good for you . . . tell us how you really feel . . .
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:12 am
hehe...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:00 am
If you are agnostic on the topic of religion because you are too lazy to think about it, then sure, you would be useless in a philosophy class.

If you are agnostic because you have studied both options, and take the route of LOGIC, then you have a view backed by a very strong human notion. I wouldn't call that useless.
I would also like to point out that agnostics often ask for tolerance, as they can see the points from both sides.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:14 am
PS, you are of the opinion that logic dictates agnosticism-it is inappropriate for you to have "shouted" the word logic through the use of capitalization, as though you were speaking to people who illogic prevents them from seeing the "simple truth" which you find obvious. What seems logical to you may not appear so to someone who is at least as intelligent and well-informed, and who honestly considers that not to be the case.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:29 am
Setanta wrote:
PS, you are of the opinion that logic dictates agnosticism-it is inappropriate for you to have "shouted" the word logic through the use of capitalization, as though you were speaking to people who illogic prevents them from seeing the "simple truth" which you find obvious. What seems logical to you may not appear so to someone who is at least as intelligent and well-informed, and who honestly considers that not to be the case.

Logic is, by definition, inafalliable. It is consistent, there is not any falliability in logic (by definition) or else it is illogical. There can not be two opposite consistent and correct views in logic. There is true and there is false and there is we don't know. I was capitalizing for emphasis, to add a touch of interest. If your computer screamed at you I recommend getting it an exorcist Smile.

You can be very intelligent and well-informed and still hold some opinions that are illogical. Nobody says you have to be logical all the time, but logic can be useful. Being that there is no (non-circular) evidence for or against the existance of g-d, the logical choice is "we don't know."

Anyone who says otherwise (about having evidence for or against g-d) either knows of evidence that I don't, is mistaken, or is bulshitting.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
Properly mounted, agnostics can make excellent bookends.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:28 pm
Personally, I use them as salad bowls or foot rests. Although, not at the same time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
As we might say here in New Jersey:

I gotcher bookends, salad bowls, and foot rests...

...right heah!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:44 pm
Quote:
Watch out for micah

For micah? Formica! Oh, it kills me!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:44 pm
i'm floored
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:48 pm
You crack me up patiodog!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 10:49 pm
Hey, that was quick. When your done with your quip, can I put it in my line-oleum?

(Is it called a mausoleum because a maus lives there?)
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 11:02 pm
That's where the holocaust took place
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:10 am
So there used to be a mayor of San Francisco named, I think, Art Agnos. Is that a greek surname? I suppose I could look the word derivation up...
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:49 am
Portal said...
"would also like to point out that agnostics often ask for tolerance, as they can see the points from both sides."

That reminded a saying in my country about not being able to make ones mind up... "Standing astride a barb wire fence without his pants on"
The voting so far shows.. 27% 40% 27% us 40% must be standing on the post.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 12:52 am
I voted no. I don't think agnostics are useless AT ALL.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:46 am
I think that it's useful to have people who refuse to be pressured or bribed to take sides, are not blinded by their need to believe one way or another, and who will consider all of the available evidence instead of rejecting anything that does not support their own position.

It is not a question of ignorance or being unable to make up our minds. I just do not see how anyone could take gods seriously after reading the Bible and studying the history of various religions and mythologies, but cannot discount the possibility that gods exist who have some reason for acting as if they don't.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
This is a poll?
So it is...
0 Replies