Baby Names: The Latest Partisan Divide?

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Linda seemed to have been popular in our generation. I was in a very small class (only 22 of us by the time we graduated high school) with five Lindas.

Know what you mean about 'Linda.' I may know more Lindas than females of any other name. All more or less in the same generation. When I was working at the Department of Youth Services in Boston, I had at least four co-workers, all named Linda. On top of that, it was also my supervisor's wife's name. And on top of that, my wife's daughter-in-law as well as at least one of her neices are all named Linda.

Speaking of unusual (read: weird) given names, I had a student named Shine. That was his first name. I asked him about it once and he said his parents were a couple of ex-hippies who gave their kids environmentally friendly names. His brother's name, he said, was Rain.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh, one of the Lindas I worked with told me she knew how she came by that name. At the time she was born the song 'Linda' ("when I go to sleep, I never count sheep, I count all the charms about Linda" etc.) was on the Top 10 charts and her parents just loved it. I wonder how many other Lindas, born at about the same time, were named after that melodic miss.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I once had the services of a female I.T. technician whose first name was "Carvel".
In NY, we have many Carvel Ice Cream stores.

I met a girl whose birth had been considered unlikely,
named: Miracle
Incidentally, her health was perfect.

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
My first wife's middle name was Berks. One time some friends of ours asked her how she came by that name. She explained that her sentimental parents had given her that middle name because, although born in NYC, she had been conceived in Berks County, PA. Our two friends looked at each other, and the wife finally said, "I guess Tommy's middle name should be Buick in that case."
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 01:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
[addressed to Setanta] I like your new Avatar.

I like it, too! Smile It's more dignified and looks less ferocious. That white dog looked like it was about to bite someone.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 02:05 pm
@wmwcjr,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
[addressed to Setanta] I like your new Avatar.
wmwcjr wrote:
I like it, too! Smile It's more dignified and looks less ferocious.

That white dog looked like it was about to bite someone.
WELL, is that like truth in advertizing????????
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 02:16 pm
I once wrote a story, in which I wished to evoke a geographic location and for reasons I need not elaborate on chose to do so by naming a character Chelsea. The writing instructor I mailed it to pointed out that hatred of a president ought not put its focus on the man's children. Names mean a lot, for certain.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 02:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
It must be an ugly feeling to be named after someone whose principles or history u dislike. Bad enuf to attend a public school named after one of the Kennedys (hate to have that name on a diploma; gross).

There's a high school in San Francisco named after Raoul Wallenberg, who is someone we can all admire. (Well, I guess neo-Nazis and other anti-Semites don't care much for him.)

http://www.ushmm.org/lcmedia/photo/lc/image/06/06917a.jpg

http://coe.ucsf.edu/coe/ywhc/images/innovations/wallenberg1.jpg
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 02:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
* giggle *

Uh, no comment. Wink I don't dare ... Mr. Green

Well, actually, ...

Laughing

Gotta go now.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 03:26 pm
Because of naming after the dead, I've seen the generational thing going on in my own family.

Yetta becomes Jane and Jamie. Kela becomes Celia which becomes Corinne. Eliezar becomes Larry and Evan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 04:23 pm
@Setanta,
When I was much younger I kept hearing about Ima's sister, Ura. Fake, of course, but for a long time I could never be sure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 04:31 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:
I like it, too! Smile It's more dignified and looks less ferocious. That white dog looked like it was about to bite someone.

that's funny since the reality is just the opposite

the blonde dog is a gentleman, the red head is the neighbourhood alpha bitch - 115 lb German Shepherds give her right of way
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 06:13 pm
@Setanta,
I had a friend named Iona Shoe.

Seriously.

Babies down here all have last names these days.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 06:25 pm
@mismi,
was her middle name nother?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 06:31 pm
@mismi,
Down here in Hawaii Iona is a well-known family name. There's a politician by that name (don't know what he's running for these days). And one of the largest used car dealerships is Iona Car Sales. They sell their cars with a license plate frame with a motto on it: "I own a car from Iona Car. "
sozobe

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 06:34 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's cute!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 02:21 am
In her diary about Richmond during the Civil War, Mary Chestnut describes the belles of the 1862 season, including one young woman who was considered the belle of the season. I have forgotten her name, but her middle name was Buchanan, so everyone called her Buck. Mary Chestnut herself had a similar situation. Her middle name was Boykin, and her contemporaries said that as a girl, she was known as Boy. One assumes that decorum prevailed after she "came out." Certainly after she married the senior senator from South Carolina.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 08:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
was her middle name nother?

Very Happy

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 10:56 pm
In the former East Germany, almost all babies had American names. I assume it was their parents way of showing their political views towards capitalism, it's funny nonetheless.

Out here in California people get a bit crazy too with baby names. I know of a North, a Skye and a Briggs (boys), an Amethyst and a Brinkley (girls).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 11:46 pm
@raprap,
I have 4 aunt Mary's, 3 are sisters named Mary Magdalene, Mary, and Mary Martha.
0 Replies