Before The Guns of Navarone

inquier

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:28 am
Does anyone know the first (Greek) film Irene Papas appeared in (before she became an international star in films like "The Guns of Navarone")?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 883 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:51 am
@inquier,
From Wikipedia:

Papas began her early career in Greece (she was discovered by Elia Kazan), achieving widespread fame there, before starring in internationally renowned films such as The Guns of Navarone and Zorba the Greek, and critically acclaimed films such as Z and Electra. She is a leading figure in cinematic transcriptions of ancient tragedy since she has portrayed Helen in The Trojan Women, Clytemnestra in Iphigenia, and the eponymous parts in Electra and Antigone. She appeared as Catherine of Aragon in the film Anne of the Thousand Days, opposite Richard Burton and Geneviève Bujold in 1969. She co-starred in The Trojan Women with Katharine Hepburn, who once said that Papas was "one of the best actresses in the history of cinema".[citation needed]

In 1976, she starred in the film Mohammad, Messenger of God (also known as The Message) about the origin of Islam, and the message of Mohammad. One of her last film appearances was in Captain Corelli's Mandolin. She is currently working in theatre in Portugal.

In 1978, Papas collaborated with composer Vangelis in an electronic rendition of eight Greek folk songs, issued as a record called "Odes". They collaborated again in 1986 for "Rhapsodies", an electronic rendition of seven Byzantine liturgical hymns.[citation needed]

In 1982, she appeared in the film Lion of the Desert, together with Anthony Quinn, Oliver Reed, Rod Steiger, and Sir John Gielgud.

1961: Antigone (film)
1962: Thessaloniki International Film Festival (Best Actress, for the film Elektra) — won
1962: Union of Greek Film Critics (Best Actress, for the film Elektra) — won
1969: New York Film Critics Circle (Best Supporting Actress, for the film Z) — nominated
1971: National Board of Review (Best Actress, for the film The Trojan Women) — won
1985: Fennecus Awards (Best Actress in a limited role, for the film Into the Night) — nominated
1989: Australian Film Institute (Best Actress, for the film Island) — nominated
1993: Hamptons International Film Festival (Distinguished Achievement Award) — won
1993: Flaiano Prize for Theatre (Career Award) — won
2000: Madrid National Arts Institution (Career Award) — won
2000: International Festival Women’s films (Career Award) — won
2001: University of Rome (Doctorate in Arts and Letters) — won
2002: Woman of Europe Award (Career Award) — won

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_Papas
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 12:57 am
@inquier,
Addendum: Imdb might have more detail. I was too lazy to go there to look it up.
inquier

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 07:54 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you.

But what I really wanted to know was whether "Fallen Angels" (a 1948 film by Nikos Tsiforos), was the first film miss Papas appeared in?

(And if it was I'd to know something of the plot, and whether she had a major role.)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 08:01 pm
@inquier,
You might check this out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0136981/
inquier

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 09:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you.

I did.

It doesn't tell me anything about the plot, the role she played (aside from the character being named "Liana"), or even if this was her first film.

I don't know if I could find the link again, but I did find at least one source that said this was her film debut (but even that source said nothing about the plot of the film, or the size and importance of her role.)

Does anyone know anything about it?

And is it available in English (or with English subtitles)?
0 Replies