english gramar

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 07:54 pm
I have an Aunt who, in her earlier life, was an English teacher. For the past 10 plus years shes has started using a slang after asking a question: 'What Say You?". This really makes my skin crawl when she makes such a statement. Where, How, When did this (to me) obnoxious, improper gramar, come from. Is it a form of ibonix, which the city of Oakland, Calif. try to institute into their school system several years ago?
Please help. This form of question sounds so childish that I just can not believe that a woman in her 60s., who taught english in one of the best school systems in Pennsylvania, after asking a question says........
'What Say You'. eeeeeeggggghhhhhhhhhhhh gads.

Signed

Lew
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,207 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Individual

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:21 pm
First off, settle down.

Most people do this odd thing as they get older: they become senile. She's just letting go and doing her own thing after a lifetime of following social conventions. Let her be. Let her have fun.

By the way, it's spelled ebonics.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:28 pm
"Grammar" is spelled with two m's.

"What say you?" comes from Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare. I believe Act I, Scene 2.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
It's also spelled grammar, which is only worth mentioning to those who criticize the grammer of others, especially when it is not at fault.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:54 pm
Whew, I didn't want to sound like an ass by pointing that out as well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 08:58 pm
My own spelling is horrible, Individual. That's why I seldom point out the errors of others.
0 Replies

greatnight99

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
Theres is saying you can never teach a new trick to an old dog.

I guess it really depend where and whom you associated with. unfortunately, I don't think she will ever change and that you have to live with it.

Also, isn't it if we can't lick em, join em.

its just like the word " wassup", where and how this word originated?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 03:15 am
What?
Well, actually 'What say you?' is a perfectly grammatical and proper question, and about 400 years ago would have been the usual way of phrasing this. It is an archaism that is now being repopularized. There are still archaic forms like this in the British parliament and law. Have you asked your aunt why she has chosen to use it suddenly?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 07:54 am
(1)There is absolutely nothing ungrammatical about "What say you?" It may not be as popular as "What d'ya say?" but it's certainly classier.

(2) Start using spell-check, lew, and you'll avoid misspellings of words like "grammar" and "Ebonics" (cap 'E', btw.) And how did you come to connect an expression dating back to Elizabethan times with Ebonics anyway?

(3) This topic belongs in the English forum, not in Reference.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 02:36 pm
Andrew and Noddy said it! and it is certainly lovely, to me. Guess that's cause I taught grimer...er, make that grammar.

It certainly does beat the hell out of:

"Gentlemen, start "yer" engines" Guess who said that?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 03:07 pm
Individual: What say ewe?
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 03:11 pm
Say what?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
Oh, eye say!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 05:38 pm
Sorry, skipped out for a while. What was the question?
0 Replies

zgreatarteest

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 07:37 pm
Bill O'Reilly says it all the time and he is in the
"No Spin Zone"
0 Replies

unluckystar

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:16 pm
lol its ok. just correct her whenever she says that. she will get so annoyed that she will never do it again. or start doing it yourself to emphasize how anoyying it is!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 09:47 pm
What's to correct? No grammatical mistake has been made.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 07:37 am
I don't think Califlew has ever noticed our replies. He hasn't posted since. Maybe we put him off. What say you??
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:22 am
Perhaps Califlew found that there are more things on heaven and earth than are dreampt of his philosophy?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2004 10:57 am
Noddy, Maybe the aunt secretly wants some Shakespeare quoted back to her? I went searching in Twelfth Night and saw several pithy expressions that might work for an uncommon variety of situations.

When his aunt uses her slightly odd question, Califlew could use almost any of this dialog. I hope Califlew returns.

Quote:

Twelfth Night, Act IV.
SCENE II. OLIVIA's house.

MALVOLIO

Fool, fool, fool, I say! (Only say this under your breath.)

Clown

Alas, sir, be patient. What say you sir? I am shent for speaking to you.

MALVOLIO

Good fool, help me to some light and some paper: I tell thee, I am as well in my wits as any man in Illyria. <Califlew may substitute California>

Clown

Well-a-day that you were, sir

MALVOLIO

By this hand, I am. Good fool, some ink, paper and light; and convey what I will set down to my lady: it shall advantage thee more than ever the bearing of letter did.

Clown

I will help you to't. But tell me true, are you not mad indeed? or do you but counterfeit?

MALVOLIO

Believe me, I am not; I tell thee true.

Clown

Nay, I'll ne'er believe a madman till I see his brains. I will fetch you light and paper and ink.

MALVOLIO

Fool, I'll requite it in the highest degree: I prithee, be gone.
0 Replies