Facebook accessibility question

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 06:17 pm
I recently bought a new cell phone and I tried to sign into my Facebook account. Facebook being very tight in the security department balks at sign ins to accounts from new computers and phones until the user confirms that he is acccessing his own account on a new device.

My new cellular service is Virgin Mobile. To get verification that it is me trying to access my account on a new device, Facebook emails me andsays someone from _____________ is trying to access my account. Confirm or deny request....The problem is that the email states the person trying for access is in Maryland or another state (remember I live in NYC). What exactly is going on here?! I'm too paranoid to accept to verification while the email states the accessor is in another state albeit a possibly erroneous assessment. Is Facebook reading my phone's IP Address wrong? Or is Virgin Mobiles' IP Addresses based out of the south? Is there any other way I can verify my phone as me doing the account accessing? I don't believe Facebook can answer this as they'll probably tell me to ask virgin mobile that's if Facebook has tech support. And I think Virgin Mobile will punt the question back to Facebook,etc....

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
rosborne979
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 07:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's detecting your IP address from a block of IP addresses owned by your carrier and probably registered in Maryland (or wherever it happens to pull one).

There is a very high probability that verification is valid and you will be fine.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 May, 2012 08:40 pm
@rosborne979,
This time it said California but I. Confirmed it anyway.

Seems to work fine now on my phone. Thanks for the reassurance and help Rosborne. :-)
rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 04:04 am
@tsarstepan,
My pleasure.

Once you are logged into facebook directly, you can change your password at any time. And if you received a computer-generated password to start out, you should probably change it to something you select.
0 Replies