It's like ten thousand spoons...when all you need is a knife

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 10:31 am
My gym has an open aerobics room, you can just walk in and out of while classes are going on, so you can go do crunches, check out wome, er, I mean, get some water.

There's always a common theme to these aerobics classes, however. The instructor is always one of the top 5 fattest women in the class. Does this make sense? I know she's obviously in good cardiovascular shape, but I see this like me going to a 6'2, 145lb guy for lessons in gaining weight. Just doesn't "fit." Or going to the clergy for advice on how not to molest kids. 90% of the chicks in there are in better shape than the instructor.

I've been a member to a few other gyms, and while not all instuctors appear to be fitness models, this is the first gym where every single class has an overweight instructor.

What other funny ironies do you come across?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,602 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:37 am
I've always found the whole gym thing to be a bit ironic. Most of the people I know that go to them avoid doing any sort of physical work at any other time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:42 am
Yeah, that is kind of like ten thousand spoons, isn't it?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:00 pm
I find it funny you would belong to a gym.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:02 pm
I suppose that if the instructor doesn't look like a supermodel than other women won't be intimidated. They'll go to class without fear of facing something they'll never accomplish. You know that female mentality - always paranoid, but don't call us fat!

It's a little bit like putting the stupidest employees in management positions. It makes sure the rest of us don't feel dumb, and it keeps our aspirations low. So, when we say "Hey! I can do that job!", it really doesn't mean we're reaching for the stars - keeping upper management very happy. Okay - so it's Friday. I digress.....

Who knows? Women are nuts.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:35 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I find it funny you would belong to a gym.

Eh?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 12:42 pm
What about people who literally throw dumbells to the floor when they finish their set? Hey Hercules, relax.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:31 pm
I'll have to agree with Joe Nation on this one, Slappy. I just can't envision you as a member of a health club. It just seems out of character. You know how I envision you, Slappy? And please don't take this as an insult.

I've always pictured you as that car salesman in the movie True Lies. At least I think that was the name of the movie. The one with Arnold Schwarznegger, Tom Arnold, and Jamie Lee Curtis. A very stupid, over the top movie, but typical for Schwarznegger.

Anyways, remember the car salesman who was trying to seduce Jamie? He pretended he was a double agent and lived a life of danger, preying on her boredom, her need for adventure.

I swear to God, Slappy.... that was you wasn't it?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:43 pm
I heard a fella on a sit-com say: "I try to make it to the Gym at least 3 times a week... but I've missed the last 800 sessions or so"
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:44 pm
From grade school through high school, all of my gym teachers were fat. I could never figure out why they picked gymnastics as their vocation. They would always sit back on the bleachers and watch us kids exercise our butts off.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:52 pm
Hey, Bill. you look almost human with that wedge of cheese removed from your head.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
Ohmigod, that was a wedge of cheese...... I like to say I'm sorry for what I might have thought.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:04 pm
Thanks Gus... I've been taking "Human Adaptation Classes" and I'm glad to hear they're paying off.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
LOL Joe
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2004 03:32 pm
Gus, I look nothing like that. I have way more fake gold chains and watches than any stereotypical car salesman you see in the movies. They got nothin'.
0 Replies