Computer not reading the D drive.

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 02:38 am
I came across this problem twice in the last 2 years. Most recently was last week. I was told that the problem was caused because the D drive had not been used for a long time (about one year) and that "dust" builds up causing the malfunction. I was told "if you don't use it you lose it". This could all be just a coincidence, because when I ask other people about this problem they don't have the foggiest idea.
Bottom line... IF a D drive is not used for a long time, is it a fact or a myth that not using it could well cause this problem? The first case 2 years ago was fixed by sending the computer away for professional repairs... mainly because a 3 year extended warrenty at the time of purchase was available, so no more money was paid out for the repairs. In the 2nd case last week...NO extended warranty and the laptop was only 13 months old, so just out of it's warranty. I'm just wondering if this is a common problem or am I just unlucky. BTW.. they are not my computers. I am just trying to help out friends.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 980 • Replies: 1
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 2 May, 2012 03:32 am
@drillersmum,
Is the D drive supposed to be a hard drive or a CD/DVD drive? If the later, it is possible that the drive has gone back or that the drivers are not installed. If it used to work but doesn't now, it is probably not the drivers. If you are using Windows, go to the START menu, then CONTROL PANEL and then ADD HARDWARE and follow the wizard to troubleshoot problems.
0 Replies