Women over 40 biggest online gamers

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:43 am
Study: Women over 40 biggest online gamers

Atlanta, Boston most game-happy cities, AOL says

Wednesday, February 11, 2004 Posted: 10:41 AM EST (1541 GMT)
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Think teenagers are spending all night long playing online games on the computer? Wrong -- it's their mothers burning the midnight oil.
AOL, a unit of CNN's parent company Time Warner Inc. , released a study showing that U.S. women over the age of 40 spend nearly 50 percent more time each week playing online games than men and are more likely to play online games daily than men or teens.
Of those women over 40 who had formed online friendships, AOL said, more than 20 percent converted those virtual connections into real-life relationships.
Fueling the arguments of those who say that gaming takes away from other activities, 44 percent of the women over 40 who responded to the survey, conducted by Digital Marketing Services, said they spend less time watching TV or movies, reading or being physically active because of their game play.
More than a quarter of those women, the survey found, play their favorite games between midnight and 5 a.m. Women in the poll tended to favor word and puzzle games.
About half of teens surveyed reported spending more time playing games than reading and more than a quarter doing more gaming than homework.
AOL also did research on gaming habits in major cities, finding that people who play games online in Los Angeles are far more likely (31 percent) to form off-line relationships than the national average (18 percent).
Atlanta and Boston were the most game-happy cities overall, at about 8 hours per capita per week, the survey said.
The survey was conducted online with 3,613 respondents between mid-December and mid-January, the company said.

No surprise one visit to atlantic city will confirm. The machines are being played in good part by the ladies. My wife and her friends visit, should I say make a deposit there on a monthly basis. They are like the postman neither,rain nor snow nor dark of night shall keep them from their appointed visit. I guess that is because it needs no skill or special knowledge. All it requires are coins and being able to push a button or pull a lever. And online you don't even need the coins.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 901 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 09:39 pm
Just a personal observation, I think overall the baby boom generation is more into gambling that Gen X and so on. My dad was a high roller in Vegas and my great uncle even bigger. Even played poker with celebrities like the Eagles.

I on the other hand have no interest in Poker. To me it's just a way to loose a lot of money really fast.

I think people of my generation and after were raised more on other kinds of games and gambling will start to decline as the baby boom generation dies off.

Just a personal observation. I have no facts to support what I've just said.

However to contradict everything I said, I do have a friend younger than I who is a compulsive gambler. She can't walk past a video poker machine without throwing away her money. I don't understand the compulsion.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:06 am
Yup, I love my yahoo games :-)
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2004 04:10 am
I don't understand the compulsion either roverroad. I don't gamble, (waste o' dough), and I don't play any online games...nor video games. Unless I can win, I get frustrated. And once I win, I get bored.

So I go against the grain I guess, being over 40 myself. Shocked Did I just say that? I mean, I'm 29 and holding! Very Happy
0 Replies