WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:06 pm
Finding that every time I post something I personally find fascinating, it gets ignored, whereas every time I succumb to the temptation to post something antagonistic or even acerbic or other, it is sure to provoke heated discussion.

Thats a pattern thats definitely not helping in my recent efforts to wrest loose from the unpleasant threads and focus my attention elsewhere - at all. What is it with that? Does anyone else have that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:20 pm
Oh, definitely. It seems like it's often my most carefully thought out, cover-all-the-bases, lots of proof, diplomatic posts that are ignored -- I'm sure seems is operative, but it's happened for sure. When I've gotten feedback later though it's often been along the lines of, "I had nothing to add."

Goes back to why people post/ what they are looking for, too though -- honing debate skills, channeling frustrations, bonding with people on their "side", etc., etc. Pure learning is not at the top of the list for most politics* participants, I don't think. That it's higher on your list than most is to your credit.

*Taking a stab at where the unpleasant threads you're talking about are located, don't actually know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
Goes back to why people post/ what they are looking for, too though -- honing debate skills, channeling frustrations, bonding with people on their "side", etc., etc. Pure learning is not at the top of the list for most politics* participants, I don't think.

*Taking a stab at where the unpleasant threads you're talking about are located, don't actually know.

Yeah those be the ones. I really get the impression we're just gluttons for punishment sometimes - like people go out of their way to get annoyed and fly all into an indignant rage about it. I do recognize it - I find myself, tired or bored, clicking through the site - hmm, thoughtful thread about Sudan, skip - thread by Gunga about Demokkkrats, click - and even while I'm clicking I know I'll regret it and wonder whence the impulse. But I've been really trying to get away from the threads that both exasperate me and are really of no interest to me whatsoever, when you think about it (seriously - what do I really care about the church/state separation debate in the US, or about I dunno, gay marriage or the Democrats and blacks) - but its not working, cause at the same time I come here for interaction, of course, and all the interaction is in those inane US politics debates.

I guess thats it - I want to share, but also to interact - and if the stuff I'm really interested in attracts little feedback to and fro, I return to where I instinctively know the action is - even if I know the action to be wholly unproductive and really quite uninteresting. Like between a rock and a hard place (or perhaps, between the arid desert and the furious storm).

Its not actually so much the willingness to learn that I think would constitute the alternative - I dont much feel like actual learning, either, often enough - but more the gamely, "oh really? what an interesting story, but you know what I heard once, its also the strangest thing: etc" kind of conversation. Is also entertainment, after all. For each anecdote or tidbit to tell there must be a similar or related one to recount, no?

I dunno. Anyway. Had to vent. Wasnt anything in particular - just a couple of times in a row that I eagerly logged in to see what the follow-up to some stuff would be - and there was none - and since I had logged on already, I browsed through the other threads in "your posts" and just went, yuck ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:35 pm
One thing I have been doing in such cases, by the way, is see if I could find you back and click on your name to see what threads you were in, instead - I think thats how I ended up in the Parenting forum a coupla times lately! Razz
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 03:52 pm
:-)

Yeah, interaction is the name of the game for sure. I've enjoyed the parenting stuff, I think a lot of it has larger societal implications and is generally a little less contentious. (Generally! I'm sure as soon as I say that some brush fire will break out -- by far the most contentious board I've ever been on was a parenting board.)

Reminds me, wanted to start a thread about an article in the NYT re: the increase in overuse injuries for kids, how instead of just ya know playing they're Doing Sports, doing the same drills over and over and over or even just doing the same sport over and over and over instead of being more generalized. (No time right now, will do soon.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
Do you ever wake up feeling sad? I did, this morning. Felt miserable for no particular reason. Lousy dreams, I've always figured. But then I took a nap later this afternoon and now I feel fab.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 06:55 pm
I used to wake up feeling sad but now that I exercise daily and have stopped all pain meds I feel on top of the world. What makes me grit my teeth these days is the fact that my husband hates his job and feels that he has to stick it out at his current place of employment for another year...I say quit now while you are still alive coz that job is surely going to kill you!
He has lovingly taken care of me since March 2002 ( I sustained a back injury) and now that I am feeling better he has entered a super negative spiral and I can't stand seeing him go through this.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:23 am
I wake up feeling sad a lot. Don't want to get out of bed. Don't want the sun to shine in my room. There is always a time for burrowing. Burrowing is a good thing.
0 Replies

Qanda

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
What made me gnash my teeth today... males who do not have basic toilet courtesy. It astound me how some people still fail to flush properly after using the toilet or lift up seats before using bowls to pee in. Mad
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:17 am
Every blue moon I wake up sad, like yesterday. This morning I'm fine, like most mornings. I think I simply dreamt about something yesterday that had me 'getting up on the wrong side of the bed", so to speak, but it's a rare occurence.
Just wanted to clarify that. Smile
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:23 pm
argh....working on a mac in a gates world!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
There were two instances of gritting the teeth today. I'd like to share them both.
My godson's 18 year old girlfriend called me this afternoon and had the unmitigated gall to ask if I could pick her up on campus at 7am Saturday morning and drive her to the airport. I was so outdone, at first I didn't know what to say but finally told her no, I couldn't do it. Not because I couldn't, not really, but because this little girl has got too much nerve to me and she needs to be taken down. This isn't the first time she's called here asking me to do things for her that, one, she ought to be willing and able to do for herself and two, simply asking too much from someone she barely knows. I figure, if I keep saying no, she'll get the picture sooner or later.
A few hours after that call, my 34 year old stepson calls. He's supposed to move into a new apartment on Saturday and as casual as you please, says that he's hoping that his income tax check comes in tomorrow because if it doesn't, he's going to have to borrow some money from us to move. Now, his father and I are leaving on vacation this coming Monday. We're not exactly rolling in dough and he's very much aware of this. Who has money to loan a grown-ass man who has obviously not been preparing financially for his move? Who apparently has been depending on something as uncertain as receiving his tax return in time? Again, it's not that we can't loan him money but HOW ABOUT GROWING UP AND LIVING LIKE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT? HOW ABOUT THAT???
grrr...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:05 pm
This incident didn't happen today, but a week ago, or so.

I was going about my meter reading route and had to open a high gate that I couldn't look over. I got one step inside and a rottweiler bit me on the right forearm. I was stunned by how quick it happened. No warning, barking, etc.

I started to walk backwards and the dog was slowly following me. Just then, a pitbull also made an appearance at the now open gate. I happened to trip and fall on my back at that point in time. I thought I was done for.

Fortunately, the "owner" came out and called in the dogs and put them in the house. The property is suspected as a "pot grow-op".

Anyways, my arm was bleeding a fair bit, but did not require stitches, as it was not a deep wound. Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:09 pm
ooohhh..... annoying, eoe!

I'm grimacing, but not gritting, today becasue of my damned teeth. I had three rounds of dental work (fillings) done a couple months ago. The woman who did the first 2 rounds was harsh and I think she may have messed up my teeth. But, how would I know for sure? Anyway, they are all still cold and hot sensitive and one is just starting to ache all the time now.

I dunno whether to go back to the same office and talk with the dentist who did round three (whom I liked ok) about it, or get my films and go elsewhere.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
That sounds horrible, littlek. You should go back and have new xrays done, especially on the tooth that's beginning to ache all the time. The other two, sensitive to cold and hot, well, that's kinda normal with fillings, isn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:17 pm
I dunno, is it? She said it would ease up. So, I should go back before the 6 month cleaning? I wonder what a new set of xrays would cost.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:26 pm
lilk, I would definitely get the achy tooth checked...as for hot/cold sensitive fillings, I reckon it eventually goes away. Sometimes old hot/cold sensitive fillings flare up for some unknown reason?

I am grimacing and gritting my teeth today coz all of a sudden I have an influx of unwelcome guests in my neat and tidy kitchen...ants!!
I have put up with cockroaches, spiders, snakes, fruitbats, oliphants, sweat and now ants to top it all off?? Please tell me it does not get any worse than this!!??
Really and truly missing my cold BC now!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
Have them shoot the tooth that's aching only.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:28 pm
Good grief, Ay. Why so much vermin in your kitchen?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:32 pm
Ay - where are you now?

eoe - yeah, I will.....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:16:43