WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

dadpad

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 07:49 am
Pdog You said not for profit. Where does the money come from. Follow that trail. Cultivate the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:57 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

* And in between cordial, sunny greetings in the hallway, another essential professional behavior I apparently have been neglecting.

I used to work in a facility that had a whole large floor devoted to rheumatology. People might be sunny walking down a hallway, but more often, they were thinking about work matters, or, of course, something else in their lives. The hallways were long, so you had all this time to see someone coming and pass you. I've fond memories of one guy handling this by giving a simple 'one eyebrow raise' as he passed. At first I thought he was a bit of a snot. Later I got to appreciate his minimal but real social 'nods'..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 05:45 am
@dadpad,
The money comes from the people who installed and continue to support the Direktor. The cynic in me believes this is because she will do whatever they tell her to. There is no part of me that is not cynic. And I really don't mix well with moneyed folks.

("Money" is a really strange word. Very strange.)

Meeting with the Direktor (and mediation) on Friday. In the meantime, it's shaping up to be a 60 hour week, saddled with an extern scheduled by the other vet (away at conference) who nobody knew about. Yesterday was 11 1/2 hours, mostly on feet, with no break. Partly my fault for not being able to walk away with work undone, but I know that there's not going to be any time to make it up later.
dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:30 pm
@patiodog,
We'll be thinking of you.

Hope it goes really well.
patiodog

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 06:24 pm
@dlowan,
Thanks.

Really, at this point, there's no outcome without an upside. Either things get better and I stay, or I go am and rid of the whole mess.
littlek

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 03:03 pm
Seems a good place to plop this item: littlek booted offline after painter snip DSL wire. I'm hijacking a neighbor's un-secured wireless at the moment. Will be fixed Tuesday (hopefully).
dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:45 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Seems a good place to plop this item: littlek booted offline after painter snip DSL wire. I'm hijacking a neighbor's un-secured wireless at the moment. Will be fixed Tuesday (hopefully).

We'll miss you!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 09:45 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Thanks.

Really, at this point, there's no outcome without an upside. Either things get better and I stay, or I go am and rid of the whole mess.

Any news, Puppy?
patiodog

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 05:14 am
@dlowan,
Not really. Meeting with Direktor Friday cancelled. One of dogs who was subject of tirade which was subject of executive concern (was allowed by the Direktor, against advice of medical and behavior teams, to be adopted by an interloping volunteer who couldn't bear to see him put down, one of three such recent incidents) bit a physician on the ass while she was jogging, and said physician appears likely to file a lawsuit. (And no, it wasn't a pit bull, it was a coonhound.) Animal control is pissed.

Worked only nine hours on Saturday, and with Dr. V., who's fun. Wheeeeee!

OK back to sleep. Me likey my sleep.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 07:56 pm
@patiodog,
Hello, patiodog
I hadn't commented, but was following your posts on your work frustrations.
So how are things now?
Any signs of progress? (Hope so!)
patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:19 am
@msolga,
Hey, Ms Olga,
Had meeting, mediated by consultant. My inappropriateness addressed briefly, Direktor's decisions' effect on on morale in the workplace addressed in depth by consultant, my concerns about errant "policy" (really, lack of a firm guiding hand) put on table. Direktor has since seemed chastened and dispirited, and at last all-staff meeting started to take advice of consultant on keeping staff informed and apparently has been trying to take a firmer hand with volunteers and has been drafting policy on behaviorally or medically unadoptable dogs that I've wanted from the beginning.

Basically, if it's a boxing match I come away bloodied and she's received a standing eight count, I think.

I think the other doc has been told to get her **** together and actually do some work, but last week she managed to disappear for an afternoon and another nearly entire day on shaky pretenses, so maybe not. Or maybe she just can't hack it any more -- she's been doing it for a long time and energy reserves aren't what they used to be.

After getting a couple of large procedures out of the way the week before last, there's been a blip of manageable work load, which has been nice.

If the don't let me go, I'll stick it out through the beginning of my hiatus on Dec. 1, at which point I'll start interviewing for other jobs if the current gig seems like a dead end.
Izzie

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:47 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

After getting a couple of large procedures out of the way the week before last, there's been a blip of manageable work load, which has been nice.

Glad there has been a little bit of rest... mind you, dunno how you manage to keep going with the hours you do PDawg!

Quote:

Basically, if it's a boxing match I come away bloodied and she's received a standing eight count, I think.

yeah, well that still stinks... another pfffffffffffffffffffffffst to the bigwigs! grrrrrrrrrr

((PDawg))
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:26 am
@patiodog,
But it does sound like they took your concerns pretty seriously, yes? (Even though getting them addressed was pretty hideous process.)

Quote:
If the don't let me go, I'll stick it out through the beginning of my hiatus on Dec. 1, at which point I'll start interviewing for other jobs if the current gig seems like a dead end.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a dead end, patiodog.
It sounds like you'd be sorely missed by your co-workers & I keep thinking of the animals you care for, too ....
Any real chance of enough improvement for you to stay, do you think?
dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:39 am
@patiodog,
That sure doesn't sound all bad at all, Puppy!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:19 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Any real chance of enough improvement for you to stay, do you think?

I dunno, maybe. Widely held view among long-timers there is that nothing improves without a change in leadership. Of course, the way we're hemorrhaging money and as deeply in the red as we are, that might actually happen. Course, we might all get laid off, too.
spendius

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:24 pm
The Council re-cycling truck that comes to the house up the lane to empty the bottle bin once a month at 700 hours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:25 pm
@patiodog,
All good to read.

Oops, except re possible layoff..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:42 pm
Glad to hear there's been some progress, Pdawg. Perhaps your the necessary catalyst for change?

My grit and grimace: I just accepted a friend request from The Bastard.
patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:39 pm
@littlek,
Surely not THE bastard.

Probably the same bastard that's picking up Spendi's neighbours' bottles...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 04:57 am
@patiodog,
Quote:
...Widely held view among long-timers there is that nothing improves without a change in leadership. Of course, the way we're hemorrhaging money and as deeply in the red as we are, that might actually happen. Course, we might all get laid off, too.

Fingers crossed then for a change in leadership, patiodog.
Or, at the very least, a radical change in the current leadership's spending habits & priorities.
I really hope a whole bunch of you don't get laid off.
What would happen to the services you've been providing? I'm fretting a bit (unnecessarily I hope!) for the animals you care for.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:44:21