WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 08:51 pm
Oh, MsO, I can't even imagine. I'm glad to hear there's clear guidance for the staff on how to handle this with the students. And guidance that is quickly established is even better. Was there some sort of protocol set in place before this happened?
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 08:54 pm
@littlek,
Not that I'm aware of, k.
And I understand the school is taking advice, in the current situation, from "professionals in the field".
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:36 pm
Msolga- I am so sorry you're experiencing such a tragedy. It's one thing when people kill themselves but to take the babies? It's a horrible time for everyone I'm sure.

My Godson. Still in college here. It's been SIX years and he's still not done with undergrad. I'm so fed up with him I can hardly stand him anymore and his mother, while I will always love her like a sister, has lost a lot of credibility with me as well. He's a selfish, irresponsible, spoiled brat because that's how she raised him.

Anyway, my aunt, his grandmother, who lives with his mother in another state and also very much responsible for creating this mess of a young man, calls me this afternoon, distraught. Poor "Bobby" has told her that he's starving and has no food in his apartment. He has no money. Can only afford gas to get to and from school. Cannot spare the gas to come here to my house. But at the same time, he tells her NOT to tell his mother and NOT to tell me. That makes a lot of sense, right?

My guess is, he's playing her. His grandmother. Telling her this crap and then forbidding her to tell anyone? He knows she will"that's the plan" but it's just so sneaky. And cruel. Her health is not that great and he knows how she'll worry. I had to grit my teeth to stop from asking her when did she become so gullible. She sure wasn't that weak when we were coming up. She'd nail our asses to the wall if she even thought we might be lying about something.
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 09:54 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
My guess is, he's playing her. His grandmother.

Well if he is, he sounds a thoroughly unpleasant, manipulative sort of individual, eoe.

My sister used to play the same sorts of games with my parents: I need money desperately or the very worst will happen! They caved in, every single time.

Folk like this can only play those sorts of games with easy targets. Those who they know care about them & will be sucked gain & again in by their stories. It's horrible to watch.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:02 pm
@eoe,
Humpf! Toss him a boat anchor and tell him to sink or swim.
eoe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 07:13 am
@roger,
Roger, I think that's exactly what's going on. His mother has finally pulled the plug and more than likely, they are brawling so, he's pulled his grandmother into the fray.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 12:08 pm
There was an appointment mixup yesterday with a hospital. They said they'd call me to straighten things out. I said that they should call me in the afternoons. I'm not available in the morning. Found a message on my machine left at 8:30 a.m. (Minor grimace.)

Had an appointment at another hospital today. I'm never late. Ever. I check in at the appointed time, and then I wait a minimum of an hour. Today I was late. Stuck in major NYC traffic. Checked in late. Waited an hour and was then told that the doctor had left. Round-trip cabfare for nothing. (Major grimace and serious teeth gritting.)

I head to one of the drugstores in my neighborhood where I get my prescriptions. I got three refills and two newies. No problem. No grimacing. No teeth gritting. Then I had to get my OTC allergy med. There's something in it that makes in necessary that it be held behind the counter and that I sign for it. Some kinda narcotic? Who the hell knows. I walk down the counter to get the med. A woman in front of me is just a little confused--and slow. She's arguing about a presciption they wouldn't fill. It expired three years ago! I'm usually semipatient about such matters, but not so much today.

It's my turn. I ask for the med. I must provide ID. I did. I'm informed that my nondriver's driver's license has expired. I said I know. They refused to give me the med. (Serious grimacing and teeth gritting; I think the feeling is building.)

True that I'm still a nondriver. But renewing this particular license has not been a high priority.

Schlep my sorry ass to another pharmacy. Give them my expired license. They don't care. Got the med.

Home at last. I'm not having a good week, aggravation-wise. Nothing terrible has happened. Just a series of grimacy and teeth-gritty events. I'm left snarling.

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 03:46 pm
@Roberta,
Got any teeth left, you provoked person you?

That's a WEEK!!
dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 03:54 pm
@dlowan,
As for me, gritting mine because I don't know if I am being flown off to the deep outback for a week again! Or not?

So...it's Thursday here now, I would be flying out around 7.00 am Monday (I think...who knows? I have no control over that.)

My boss, who presumably knows, has been terribly ill, and I haven't wanted to disturb her.

I will HAVE to, of course, today!

IF I am going, what do they want me to do? Some training, rumour tells me, to whom? What sort?

I had put my foot down re paying for cat boarding myself . It'll likely cost over 200$...depending on when I have to put her in, which depends on when the plane leaves....and when it returns, which I don't know. It's a lot because I have to get her vaccinated especially (she's an indoors cat, so she only gets those shots when I have to board her) and it has to be at a vet's, because no normal human can medicate her.

Boss agreed it was fair work pays, but she and the business manager are both away, and there's nobody around to organise it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:02 pm
@dlowan,
May I add, if we go in the plane I am thinking of, it is a 5 hour trip...with no loo.

I can't DO 5 hours in the morning!!!!! I'd have to stop drinking at about 5.00 pm the night before...and even that would be dicey!!! Afternoons...fine.

So...what do I do? Buy an adult nappy??? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

It's the police aircraft, and so far they have stopped to do secret police business at other regional centres, giving passengers relief...but it's all moot.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:04 pm
@dlowan,
Get one of those astronaut nappies.

That's all very aggravating. Hope you get some answers but quick.

And Roberta, oy! What a mess. (I'm sure there is a Yiddish word to describe the mess perfectly but I can't bring it to mind...)
Roberta

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:23 pm
Deb, dollink, I hate when you don't know what you're supposed to know and the people who know don't or won't tell you until the last minute. Cringing at the thought of no bathroomial facilities. Poor you.

Soz, If there's a word for this, I don't know it. Or it's not coming to my mind either. All my silent comments to myself have been in English--old English.
dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:25 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Get one of those astronaut nappies.

Aren't they for the purposes of...um...er...sexual pursuit?
dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:26 pm
@Roberta,
SNAFU?

Situation Normal All Fucked Up?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:27 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
I'm not having a good week, aggravation-wise.

No, you're not, Roberta!

And it's only Thursday! (Well here, anyway)

Good luck for the rest of the week. You deserve a break!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:50 pm
@dlowan,
No, they're for purposes of peeing.

But that one chick wore them while pursuing the woman who was having sex with her (astronaut nappies chick's) beloved, so that might be what you were thinking of. Though astronaut nappies chick was pursuing sex-having chick for purposes of whacking her. Big death not little death.
dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:37 am
@sozobe,
So...I discover late Thursday that I AM going to have to spend next week in the deepest outback, and scurry around all day today (Friday) trying to prepare.

At 6.30 pm, I decide to go home.

Get three bags full of stuff for trip...check.

Handbag...check

Sunglasses...check..

Keys...keys.....keys? KEYS???!!!!

Now, in all seriousness, my office is nearly as bad as this:

http://www.popularwealth.com/funny-pictures/messy-office-01.jpg

So I take 30 minutes to search for keys (though, despite everything, I normally leave them in one place.)

By now it's 7.00 pm Friday AND I WANT TO GO HOME!!!

I KNOW I had my keys to get into my office. I think about the last few hours...I have been doing lots of printing. The printer is in the office next door. I was going backwards and forwards. I needed my keys to get into the office next door.

I check...it is now locked, as it should be (we all have a key for it)...my colleagues have gone home and left me stranded and have likely locked my keys into the office next door!

Thinking deeply.

Security likely have a master key!!! I call switch to put me through to security.

Now, my voice is calm, and I haven't used the alarm code...but nonetheless, a late call from my department to security could well mean imminent trouble. However, switch is preoccupied. Do, they ask, I have L's number? Sadly no, I reply. Oh, they say...what a pity! They explain to me at length that L had some flowers delivered but said flowers were in a fully enclosed cardboard box, and were mistaken by the mail room for an ordinary parcel, and delivered to parcels, which had done its only delivery for the day already and wasn't doing one again until Monday. By some process (smell?) unknown to me, somebody realised they were flowers, and have been trying to track down L. Very charming and kind...but they have already rung our on-call psycho-social person, and doctor, with no luck. (Which would have been assumed to be a call-out by those folks just after they got home) who could not help them. Now I have been on the phone to them for 15 minutes (after requesting security) and I STILL WANT TO GO HOME!!!

Happily, when I DO get through to security at 7.30 (they were adrift in the hospital, not sitting in their little office watching the monitors) they very kindly rescue me, and my keys are in the other office!!!!!

Yay!!!
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:17 pm
@dlowan,
The problem is not you at all, Deb.

Your office is way to small. And so are your keys!

Glad you finally got out of there in one bit! Smile

http://www.popularwealth.com/funny-pictures/messy-office-01.jpg
msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
@msolga,
(Your office is way too small, is what I meant to say ... What the heck is going on with my spelling & grammar? Down the gurgler? Confused )
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 07:12 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
The problem is not you at all, Deb.

Your office is way to small. And so are your keys!

Lol! How kind.

If only it were true. The only problem with my office is its occupant.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 01:49:37