WHAT MADE YOU GRIMACE & GRIT YOUR TEETH TODAY?

Eva

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:08 pm
No improvement this morning, I'm afraid. Sad
The head-rolling shall continue.

eoe, tell me more about the Epson. I've always had HPs, but I'm thinking about buying a new color printer capable of 11x17s. Also, I need one that can run light card stock. (My HP doesn't have a straight paper path.) How's the Epson for text? The HPs have been wonderful on font reproduction.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm
The Epson is terrific.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:43 pm
TRYING to talk to an arrogant, impatient & possibly ignorant (?) representative of my ISP company. In another city, "out there", somewhere. Grrrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad I had to ring 4 times to solve a problem with connection & disconnection. NOT HAPPY!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Msolga, I had an ISP like that one before...I bet we're talking about the same company.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:54 pm
Our Boss is scheduled to return from holiday today. Oh joy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 08:55 pm
Laughing Could be, colorbook!
Sometimes I hate my computer! A source of much angst & wasted time! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:00 pm
I used to hate my computer a lot too...until I got a new ISP! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
Hey colorbook, that sounds like a good advertising jingle! Laughing Ever thought of doing this for a living? :wink:
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2004 09:06 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
Dammit, I'm not having a good day! First the computer frenzy this morning & now, just as I'm to begin a stint in a new job tomorrow, what happens?: A zit/lumpy thing appears on my top lip! Right in the middle. Shocked Just when I wanted to look my ravishing best! Actually, it's not huge, it just feels huge. But what brilliant timing! Dammit!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:46 am
msolga, I get those often. It's probably anxiety and/or stress. Leave the lumpy thing alone and it will probably (hopefully) go away on its' own.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:59 am
eoe

I hope you're right! Sad
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
Okay. This happened a few days ago but I'm still disturbed, to say the least.

As a graphic designer, I'm under contract with a pretty well-known national organization. Altho' the actual office staff is small, the board is large and they seem to have way too much control and sayso about many things, including daily office decisions of which they know nothing about.

Anyway, during a national board meeting, a discussion of the 2005 calendar, which is distributed to donors, came up and a board member, also on the board of a prestgious art school in NYC, had the bright idea of the calendar becoming a class project. When I heard about it, after the project was completed, the staff was already scrambling around, trying to figure out what to do next and we came up with the idea to feature the students' calendar within my design, and the staff and I selected the student design we liked best. It's a small piece, the months displayed on individual cards and packaged in a CD jewel case. Very beautiful, sophisticated, multi-layered, a gorgeous piece. Unfortunately, the donor base is, for the most part, a conservative bunch so it was up to me to showcase this students' very contemporary art in a more traditional calendar layout. We had a deadline of August 1 to get the final calendar to the printer. No problem.

About two weeks later, during a really big national meeting in D.C., the executive director shows the student design to the board and another member, who is associated with Virgin Records, had the big idea to actually produce the student's piece, in a CD case, and sell it in the record stores. He wanted 40,000 printed. Fantastic! Only problem is, the students' calendar could not go out as is, there were numerous changes and corrections necessary, and it certainly wasn't possible for me to make them without the original computer files. And I would not have done it anyway. I explained to the staff members that I work with that it would be highly unethical for me to tamper with another artists' work and they needed to get in contact with the student and have her make the changes and prepare the piece for actual printing.

It took them two weeks to find this kid but on Monday, they finally did and naturally, she is beside herself with excitement! She was told all of the particulars about her calendar being sold in the stores and, she's thrilled.

On Tuesday morning, during a meeting, it was decided that because of cost, and because Mr. Virgin Records isn't kicking in anything, they would just focus on producing the more traditional calendar now and put the students' cd calendar 'on hold', which says to me that it's not gonna happen. When I spoke to the student later, it was clear to me that she was not aware of this new developement and I said nothing about it. I then spoke with my staff person and asked her if she had told the kid what was happening and she said no but that she would tell her later that day. Well, I got an email from the student yesterday (Wed.) afternoon and it was clear that she still didn't know. I'm feeling ill about it now. They're hemming and hawing about telling her, probably fearful that she may pull her project altogether, so now we've got the illusion of an old bait and switch con game going on. It's stinks.

This kid is going to feel like she's been screwed and I want no parts of it and I'm pissed because this whole mess stems from the meddling of the board and an executive director who doesn't know how to control them. It got out of hand with the very first member wanting the students to design the calendar. Knowing how conservative the donor base is, that was a stupid idea from the getgo and someone should have had the balls to say so because the messiness of it only escalated. As a result, a young student straight out of school will more than likely end up hurt and disillusioned and this honorable organization will appear to be less than on the up-and-up.

Stupid.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
You should just tell her. Do the right thing.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
Oh, I've played this game before. It stinks. Tell the newbie artist what's going on, then distance yourself from the entire project as much as possible. It's a no-win.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:04 am
I can't distance myself. I'm under contract but independent. Not on staff. Is it on me to tell her, is it even my place to tell her, or should that come from someone on staff?

Hell, I can't tell her. It's in the contract that I can't divulge any company info blahblahblah. All I really CAN do is grit my teeth. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:54 am
In that case, don't be the bearer of bad news. Let someone else incur her wrath. In fact, INSIST that they tell the young artist immediately because they're not playing fair with her.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 03:56 pm
That's exactly what I did, Eva. My staff person said that she would contact her yesterday. But last nite, the student emailed me and it looks like we've run into yet another snag and this may not happen after all. It seems she doesn't have the original files and has to rebuild the calendar from scratch which may or may not take too long to make the deadline. Won't know until Monday. Hopefully.
Is this a mess or what?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 04:37 pm
A mess!

My sympathies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:24 pm
eoe

What an awful position to be in. My sympathy to you & also to the student.
I understand why this situation makes you feel sick. It stinks & no one is taking responsibility.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/21/2024 at 05:12:25