Let's cook: dressings and marinades

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:33 am
@FOUND SOUL,
There is one that I make.

Scallops, large, dry pack, 5 per person
Large mass of brocolli raab a good fistful per person

Wilt the brocolli raab in a pot with some wasabi and balsamic vinegar (Cheap balsamic not the real dessert kind)

Saute the scallops in a dry sherry and butter mix and watch them carefully . Just let them brown (about 4 minutes at medium heat after butter and sherry begi to bubble but not burn)

Place the scallops on top of a bed of the brocolli raab and ouse with the pan sauce/

Its my favorite. I even dismiss the idea pf sticking some bacon on top cause the taste is so mild.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:33 am
@FOUND SOUL,
There is one that I make.

Scallops, large, dry pack, 5 per person
Large mass of brocolli raab a good fistful per person

Wilt the brocolli raab in a pot with some wasabi and balsamic vinegar (Cheap balsamic not the real dessert kind)

Saute the scallops in a dry sherry and butter mix and watch them carefully . Just let them brown (about 4 minutes at medium heat after butter and sherry begi to bubble but not burn)

Place the scallops on top of a bed of the brocolli raab and ouse with the pan sauce/

Its my favorite. I even dismiss the idea pf sticking some bacon on top cause the taste is so mild.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:38 am
@farmerman,
wasabi, do you use like mini portions? That would kill me.

Sorry as well what is raab? Smile
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 03:50 am
@FOUND SOUL,
wasabi can be metered out if someone doesnt like the heat but does like the flavor. You can adjust it to taste.

Raab is also called brocollini. Its a veggie that appears mostly as a spring green. Its got small brocolli like florets but much fewer and they are on long stems of like a mustardy green. They have that cole veggie tste and are good as a"bed of" ingredient.
The Italian old ladies make em in coca cola and then hit em with lotsa butter when they serve em. Its a sweet peppery taste with the butter .

In US we have whole regional traditions of serving green leafy "mustard family" veggies. In the south people cook stuff like collards, kale or mustard greens all day in a pot with a ham hock and onions and croder peas and then serve em up at night for supper as a tender green with this salty "pot likker" with the peas on the side. The sauce just sorta makes itself and is really good with stuff like pulled pork on a plate or fried catfish or even fried chicken.

SOuthern US food is probably the mostest unhealthiest stuff around but it is gooood. Gravvies, sauces, and marinades are all part of the dish (usually cept for fried chickens)
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:07 am
@farmerman,
Here wasabi is HOT HOT HOT how do you get rid of the heat?

Brocollini.. Ok, that 's all I eat I love it, as apposed to broccoli..

Have you ever tried zucchini dipped in egg yoke, flower and in the oven for 10 mins? You might like that too, it squirts water as you eat it, but has that roasted taste as well.

Sorry off topic sort off Smile

Our language is so different, but here we know all green veg is the best to eat, to loose weight. But, without butter Smile That's where Japanese comes into it, kind of gives you the bok choy thingy without the fat.

I saw in Wallmart all the fried chicken a person could eat Smile lols .
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:12 am
@FOUND SOUL,
thats why in an invasion of opur homeland, we would be like fat veal calves. Our nation is so fat that we have the Indonesian clothing makers change all our sizes of pants so guys feel that they are not gaining weight.

Fat and grease are a Southern food group here.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 04:16 am
@farmerman,
Honestly?

I was shocked first visit to America, only a couple of years ago.

The bacon for breakfast? Was really mostly rind and cooked in fat, not light oil.

Wallmart, I just stated.

And, all their meals were greased to the hilt.

I cooked Italian and Chinese, like stuffed capsicums, potatoes and tomatoes, fried rice without all the fat, pork in flower but little fat.. And they pulled a can of beans, which I have to admit they added butter and it tasted way good but ahhhhh.

Then takeaway.................................Sonics.
It was a mind setting thing for me......... I don't mind but no thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:06 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I have mirin in my cupboard, get it at my local not-particularly-adventurous grocery stores. Hmmm, wonder how regular sake would work in recipes. Thinking of those who use a good red wine in a beef daube or similar dishes.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:18 am
@farmerman,
Broccoli raab is also called rapini by some. Ah, just looked, per wiki -

Rapini (also known as Broccoli Rabe (or Raap or Raab), Broccoletti, Broccoli di Rape, Cime di Rapa, Rape, Rappi, Friarielli (in Naples) is a common vegetable in the cuisines of southern Italy (in particular Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily), Galicia (northwestern Spain), Portugal, the Netherlands[citation needed] and China. The plant is a member of the tribe Brassiceae of the Brassicaceae (mustard family). Rapini is classified scientifically as Brassica rapa subspecies rapa,[1] in the same subspecies as the turnip, but has also been treated as Brassica rapa ruvo, Brassica rapa rapifera, Brassica ruvo, and Brassica campestris ruvo.
Rapini has many spiked leaves that surround clusters of green buds that resemble small heads of broccoli. Small, edible yellow flowers may be blooming among the buds. The flavor of rapini has been described as nutty, bitter, and pungent. Rapini is a source of vitamins A, C, and K, as well as potassium, calcium, and iron.[2]
The cultivated vegetable probably descends from a wild herb related to the turnip that grew either in China or the Mediterranean region. Rapini is similar in shape to the Chinese Brassica oleracea cultivar called kai-lan. Rapini is now grown throughout the world. Rapini is available all year long, but its peak season in the Northern Hemisphere is fall to spring.
A common preparation involves sauteing rapini with garlic over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. In Umbria and other Central Italy regions, rapini sauteed with garlic, chili pepper and guanciale is a typical side dish for porchetta, grilled pork ribs and sausages and other pork dishes.
[edit]

I just saute it with olive oil and garlic and some chili flakes, wee salt. Or I did, don't see it in my local Albuquerque stores.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 07:38 am
I thought Marco made his own marinade. He uses a package of taco seasoning, finely chopped jalapeno and beef broth. Chopped up round steak marinated overnight. Browns the meat.

We usually have corn tortilla and he uses spray canola oil in a skillet to cook them.

You can put anything you like on them, cheese, diced tomatoes, avocado, whatever you like. His homemade salsa is the best though.

I posted the recipe for the salsa on here somewhere but I can’t find it now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2012 10:42 pm
@boomerang,
Not a marinade, boomerang ... more of a dipping sauce, or a dressing (sort of) ...

This one's my long-term, el quicko stand-by:

1 clove of garlic, smashed (not too violently Smile )
1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp grated fresh ginger

Put the lot in a small jar with a screw-top lid.
Shake vigorously.
Serve.

It keeps in the fridge for a week or so (with the lid screwed on the jar, of course) if you don't use the lot up.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 02:25 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have mirin in my cupboard, get it at my local not-particularly-adventurous grocery stores. Hmmm, wonder how regular sake would work in recipes. Thinking of those who use a
Quote:
good red wine
in a beef daube or similar dishes.
I drink that, well actually white Smile

I'll look for other recipes for mirin.. It's kind of sweet and vinegar tasting, not sure if it would go with beef, although with some soy and a bit of butter it definately would.. In-fact, if you melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add 1 tablespoon of both soy and mirin in a frypan on low, turn it off.. Then bake some cubed veggies ie) sweet potato, potato, yams and when roasted, poor that over and leave for say 15 minutes just checking every 5.. That's an awesome dish to have with steak.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2012 04:18 am
I think half of our fridge contains bottles of sauces and marinades. Maybe some day Ill mix em all together and see what comes out of it.
0 Replies