What will happen when the Human society becomes a Type I.

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 02:33 pm
Firstly-I'd like to start out with; this goes based upon the Kardashev Scale, and, as we all know, humans are currently a "type 0.7".
This is not to argue or debate Kardashev's Scale, so please do not. Anyway, I have three questions, and I'd like to see them answered with some scientific backing, if you will.

Now, for the questions.
If and when humans become a Type I (1) society, what will happen to the Earth. Newton's laws taught us that "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction", and a type I society, being able to control the weather, and harvest energy from it, would have complete control over what happens on the planet. (Theoretically). Now, from what I've known, mother nature doesn't like you messing with it-if you try to change things, it will reverse your changes, and come back three times worse.

So, for the question: If humans ever get to a Type I society, what will happen on Earth (saying that Earth is the planet we're controlling, not any others.), will mother nature strike back, destroying all the efforts of the humans, and throwing us back into the dark ages? Will we just be able to control the planet with no consequences (Which I find hard to believe.) I believe that this question is valid since we're -realatively- close too a type I society, saying that we're anywhere from a century, too two centuries away.

Now, my second question revolves around type II (2) societies. Type II Societies, requiring such large ammounts of electric power, that they need stars (Which provide 58,000,000(And more) megawatts of power.), (I don't understand the technology needed to harvest the power).

So, for a question that I don't -truly- expect answered. Firstly, would we be getting the power of the stars from what power is shot out? (IE, basically taking some of the heat away from the planets, and beaming it back as electrical power to us on Planet X. Or, would we getting the power of the star directly, and if we're getting it directly, are we shortening the stars life? And if we're shortening the stars life, will it still go through the Red Giant-White Dwarf phase?

Also, if anyone could explain to me how Type III (3) societies would work, or how you could get power from a supermassive black hole.

Any Knowledge you have on this subject is great, whether it be on type I, II, or III.

Please don't post needless spam here, as I'd like to have a fair and educated chat.

Thank you,
Bunnycorn.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,697 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:41 pm
@Bunnycorn,
What are your grounds for pre-supposing that humans will ever reach Type I?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:01 pm
@Bunnycorn,
Dyson Spheres have been theorized as mechanisms for collecting a star's output. Planets can be contained within the sphere so they would continue to receive their nominal proportion of energy.

But you need a LOT of mass to create a sphere that big. Large planets might have to be disassembled.

Bunnycorn

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:17 pm
@JPLosman0711,
The fact that we're at .72, and our knowledge is still growing, the way that we harness the energy and use the energy is also growing, also, our overall energy demand is also growing. Energy demand will eventually exceed what our power stations can provide, and, with our growing knowledge and technology, we are on the correct path.
0 Replies

Bunnycorn

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Hmm..that's facinating. So, we would have to take apart a planet like. Jupiter? Or Saturn? And use the parts?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 06:33 am
@Bunnycorn,
Dyson Spheres are very large. If you construct something with the mass of a planet (like a Dyson Sphere) then you need to get that mass from somewhere (a planet, or lots of smaller chunks of materials, like asteroids).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 08:02 am
I wouldn't think the gas giants would not be eligible choices for mining the necessary materials.
raprap

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 09:34 am
@Setanta,
A true post type one civilization would look at the gas giants as sources of CHON. They would then use their technology to make that CHON into any material with specific properties.

As for mining, no it wouldn't be mining gas giants per sey--I would consider it closer to drilling, or pumping. I envision skyhooks, that pumps fluids from the surface to orbit, where weightless chemical factories use the CHON as feedstock to manufacture designed materials.

BTW there are metals in the cores of gas giants, just like the small rock we live on--these too would be pumped to orbit and used for specialized feedstocks.

Rap
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I wouldn't think the gas giants would not be eligible choices for mining the necessary materials.

I was thinking in terms of pure mass, not composition of the mass itself. Obviously the gas giants would not be good sources for "rocky" materials Smile On the other hand, a true Type II civilization might be able to convert any raw material into any other element.

Interestingly, the original idea for Dyson Spheres did not involve actual solid spheres, but isolated energy gathering satellites arranged in a ring form or spherical form around a star. More recent usage of the idea (in science fiction) tends to focus on solid objects (spheres) rather than the more feasible yet less colorful idea of a "cloud" of satellites.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:46 am
@JPLosman0711,
Well, Type 1 humans obviously wouldn't include Texans.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
What will happen when the Human society becomes a Type I.

or

Type 0 Negative

http://thenamelessdead.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/black_no_1_-_type_o_negative.jpg?w=500
0 Replies