Vatican Reprimands a Group of U.S. Nuns

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:50 am
NY Times wrote:

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: April 18, 2012

The Vatican has appointed an American bishop to rein in the largest and most influential group of Catholic nuns in the United States, saying that an investigation found that the group had “serious doctrinal problems.”

The Vatican’s assessment, issued on Wednesday, said that members of the group, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious, had challenged church teaching on homosexuality and the male-only priesthood, and promoted “radical feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith.”

The sisters were also reprimanded for making public statements that “disagree with or challenge the bishops, who are the church’s authentic teachers of faith and morals.” During the debate over the health care overhaul in 2010, American bishops came out in opposition to the health plan, but dozens of sisters, many of whom belong to the Leadership Conference, signed a statement supporting it — support that provided crucial cover for the Obama administration in the battle over health care.

The conference is an umbrella organization of women’s religious communities, and claims 1,500 members who represent 80 percent of the Catholic sisters in the United States. It was formed in 1956 at the Vatican’s request, and answers to the Vatican, said Sister Annmarie Sanders, the group’s communications director.

MORE here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/us/vatican-reprimands-us-nuns-group.html?src=me&ref=general

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:29 am
There was an interesting interview with a woman said to be a spokesman for the group on the CBC yesterday. She said they were being castigated for not condemning homosexuality and same-sex marriage. She stated that such matters are not within the perview of the organization--that there are a lot of things they don't condemn because they are matters the organization is not concerned with. In response to the statement that bishops are "authentic teachers of faith and morals," she stated that they were taking Jesus as their teacher on faith and morals.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:34 am
@Setanta,
Good for them.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes, but the powers that be in the church are going to be down on them like a ton of bricks, because that will be seen as a direct challenge to hierarchical authority in the church. This should be interesting.
Miss L Toad

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
perview

Should that be that pay perview, old perview, or purview?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:45 am
Actually, i did think the spelling was wrong, and was going to go check it, but i was distracted by the old deceiver--life.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yes, but the powers that be in the church are going to be down on them like a ton of bricks, because that will be seen as a direct challenge to hierarchical authority in the church. This should be interesting.

I agree it should be interesting. As for the Vatican coming "down on them like a ton of bricks," as long as the controversy can be kept in the public eye is imo a good thing. Any dissension of any consequence in that monolithic organization headquartered in Rome can only lead to a further weakening of the stranglehold that the Bishop of Rome has on local religious organizations.
Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 03:18 am
@Lustig Andrei,
This Pope is a reactionary, too. I enjoy a good deal of glee whenever he is publicly challenged or embarrassed.
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 04:10 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
headquartered in Rome can only lead to a further weakening of the stranglehold that the Bishop of Rome has on local religious organizations

The American bishops as a group have large powers in the church as they had control of a large fraction of the total income going to Rome.

To bad the nuns do not share this power.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 04:33 am
@BillRM,
May we ive in interesting times. ERA for nuns, ike that will quiety happen.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:46 am
@Lustig Andrei,
It sounds like a Roger Corman film, "Nuns gone Bad, Dungeons of Reprimand". Smile

I hope I live to see the day when the Church finally collapses under the weight of its own malignancy. Unfortunately I suspect that humanity will not be rid of this cancer any time soon.

Any good that religion can claim is constantly undermined by the institutions that control it (and claim to represent it).
BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:37 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I hope I live to see the day when the Church finally collapses under the weight of its own malignancy

If it sad history of providing a welcoming home for pedophiles who then preyed on it members children did not do it nothing will.

Only in fact even trying to protected the members children after hundreds of millions of dollars civil judgments begin to be level again it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:57 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I hope I live to see the day when the Church finally collapses under the weight of its own malignancy. Unfortunately I suspect that humanity will not be rid of this cancer any time soon.

Do you wish the same for the Big Cancer, Ros?
Fido

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 09:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

There was an interesting interview with a woman said to be a spokesman for the group on the CBC yesterday. She said they were being castigated for not condemning homosexuality and same-sex marriage. She stated that such matters are not within the perview of the organization--that there are a lot of things they don't condemn because they are matters the organization is not concerned with. In response to the statement that bishops are "authentic teachers of faith and morals," she stated that they were taking Jesus as their teacher on faith and morals.
Going over the heads of the foreman to the boss's boss puts them outside of the church... Go too low and you are out... Go too high and you are out... One thing you can say about those folks is that they is jealous of their chain of command... What is the point of a hierarchy anyway???... Why bother with it if people are just going to do what they see fit anyway???
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 09:58 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

This Pope is a reactionary, too. I enjoy a good deal of glee whenever he is publicly challenged or embarrassed.
He is a Nazi...He is the Fascist head of a Feudal State... And His oath to Hitler is older than any oath to the church.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:20 pm
@JTT,
Just how interchangeable are the words "to" and "for," anyhow, JTT?
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:39 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well, that's just WRONG for any christian, isn't it?
JTT

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 02:51 pm
@InfraBlue,
Completely so in your example, Infra.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:33 pm
@dlowan,
Setanta wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Well, that's just WRONG for any christian, isn't it?

If someone says "yes" or "no" in response
to your question, how will u know whether he is answering
the first part of your sentence: "Well, that's just WRONG for any christian"
or
the 2nd part of it: "isn't it?"

David
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:35 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Careful, David. JTT will come after you.