Vatican Reprimands a Group of U.S. Nuns

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 12:40 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Yeah, after a couple of fairly enlightened pontiffs, Benedict's a throwback to an earlier, harsher era of the papcy. Are there any provisions for impeachment of a pope in the Vatican rule books?

What the hell have you been smoking? Please send me some. We have had a string of backwards Popes. The sex abuse cover-up goes back 30 years, and is directly related to bad leadership from the top the whole way.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 01:08 am
Just about all of the industrial nations (except Russia) are going to have politicians who will either cater to the religious peculiarities of their constituency or who will fear to offend the religious beliefs of their constituency. Not all politicians, and who knows, maybe religious sentiment will one day recover enough in Russia for it to matter there.

In the U.S., it is ironic that people were worried about John Kennedy being Catholic, but that it was the right-wingers who first made promises of catering to religious orthodoxy, appealing to the fundies. Even then, the fundies got very little return for their vote.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 04:22 am
@Setanta,
The clout of well organized quasi " reigious" political offerings post dated Kennedy for the most part. Stuff like "The Moral MAjority" came out of the closet as a resut of the early 70's support of Tricky Dicky , reported hate for MAdilyn Murray Ohare, and Roe v Wade, and IMHO, a thing that sent religion in politics to oxygen free levels was the ultra liberal views in birth control of the Good BAptist Jimmy Carter. His Baptist Conference was the first organization to turn on him because he didnt follow their suggested dictates .
Today, a candidate in national politics better have some religious pedigrees. They are gearing up in PA's Senate race and religion is being used already to sort outthe party selections (Our primaries are tomorrow)

I wonder whether a claim that Romney belongs to a "cult" will come out in the "Citizens United" radio and TV spots? Or that Obama is a card carrying Muslim?

Itll all come from the nutsy fringe.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 04:30 am
@farmerman,
I was talking about the entire "industrial" world, but yeah, the lunacy reaches breathtaking heights here. Other nations like to pretend that they are religion free, but i find that disingenuous. Much of the thrust of organized creationism came out of Australia in the 1980s. In Canada right now, in Alberta--usually considered the most conservative province--there is a new political party, the Wild Rose Political Alliance. They are challenging the Tories (conservatives) for control of the province. One of their people published (published, mind you) a statement to the effect that homosexuals will all burn in hell. The party leader, who would become Alberta's PM if her party won the most seats, not only has refused to condemn that joker, but has herself said that no one should be forced to marry same sex couples, or to prescribe birth control, if it violates their religious convictions. More fun to come!
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 04:36 am
@Setanta,
Ill bet the Christian yahoos feel fullfilled and somehow they sense that their worldviews are not being scoffed at . This emboldens some of these clowns even more.

It is entertaining, I agree.

I wonder whether the "Charismatic CAtholics " have garnered any kind of foothold among the clerics?
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:09 am
@farmerman,
By the by, were you aware that Mel Gibson's father emigrated to Australia to join a fundamentalist Catholic group? Apparently, it didn't work out as well as he had hoped.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:37 am
@Setanta,
A couple of political talking heads yesterday said they hoped that the Wild Rose Alliance would be elected as it would force Alberta electors to smarten up and cause a revitalization of the Conservative party. We'll see.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:41 am
@ehBeth,
I heard a commentator yesterday saying the Wild Rose will be defeated by urban voters disgusted by their religiously motivated agenda. I wondered at the time if that claim were not wishful thinking.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:47 am
@hawkeye10,
The old and perhaps by some rumors not so old method of getting rid of a Pope was poisoning.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 07:48 am
@Lustig Andrei,
The Catholic Church has, on occasion, had as many as three Popes at one time.

Joe(we could hope for that)Nation
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:24 am
@Setanta,
No I did not. I knew his father was a Charismatic Kook but I wasnt aware he was an emigree. From where did he emigrate? US?.

Mel is missing a few beads on his rosary so Im not surprised that its congenital
dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:25 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

The Catholic Church has, on occasion, had as many as three Popes at one time.

Joe(we could hope for that)Nation

Oooooh! The Trinity!
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 08:31 am
@dlowan,
NAh, they were just a pop(e) singing group.

"The Pontiffs Three"
They did mostly covers of Doowop
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:47 am
Yeah, the Gibsons were from the US, Mel's pretty much a right wing kook too, like father like son.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:49 am
dlowan: as in Brian Auger and the Trinity?

Then there's always Shane McGowan and the Popes, who had a much better beat and were far better rockers than Pope Benedict and the Curia, who've never been able to sell CDs worth a damn.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:02 am
@farmerman,
Upstate New York, i believe . . .
Foofie

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:28 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Just about all of the industrial nations (except Russia) are going to have politicians who will either cater to the religious peculiarities of their constituency or who will fear to offend the religious beliefs of their constituency. Not all politicians, and who knows, maybe religious sentiment will one day recover enough in Russia for it to matter there...

I thought that Russia has instituted some law that only three religions are given legitimacy in Russia, based on those religions having an historical presence in Russia; they are Eastern Orthodox Christianity, Islam, Judaism. It appears they will therefore only "cater" to those three faiths, all others are persona non grata?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:46 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I thought that Russia has instituted some law that only three religions are given legitimacy in Russia, based on those religions having an historical presence in Russia; they are Eastern Orthodox Christianity, Islam, Judaism. It appears they will therefore only "cater" to those three faiths, all others are persona non grata?
The "Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Associations" (1997) gives kind of three levels to churches and other religious groups:
• religious organizations: at the level of individual church congregations (here: Russian Orthodox Church, Islam and Buddhism)
• religious associations: whole denominations (here: [Roman] Catholics, Lutherans, Jews)
• religious groups: groups without legal status (such as a bible study group and "other sects") which have existed in Russia for at least 50 years.
English translation of "Russian Federation, Federal Law:'On Freedom of Conscience and on Religious Associations' "
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 10:59 am
As usual, Foofie has nothing relevant to add. My remarks had to do with the possibility of politicians catering to religious groups.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:00 am
@Setanta,
Probably from the Burned Over District, that area has been producing zealots of every stripe for 175 years.

Joe(something in the water/?/)Nation
0 Replies