Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:04 pm

Smoking TOBACCO cigarettes

(Anti-gun zealot*) liberal NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg has proposed
that smoking PROHIBITION be extended into people 's apartments in apartment houses.
IF government has jurisdiction to stop u from ingesting marijuana or heroin,
then it has the SAME jurisdiction to stop u from smoking,
from eating sweets, or from eating red meat.

His Honor is a deviant of the left (i.e., a liberal).
Accordingly, he takes no cognizance of Individualism and USURPATION of power is OK with him.
Of that: I disapprove, but I recognize
the effects of liberalism, collectivist-authoritarianism, when I see them.
To MY mind: thay r anathema.

David

* For those who ask:
"What the hell does smoking have to do with being anti-gun ?"
the answer is that in both cases, it is an unAmerican thought process.
Americanism = PERSONAL FREEDOM to poison yourself with smoke
or to read the NY Times,
or to be able to defend your life and property
from the violence of man or beast (as per the Bill of Rights).

David

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:12 pm

It seems to ME, that every person is fully within his rights
to engage in any form of self destructive conduct, including ending his Earthly life
at any time of his personal choice and government was never granted authority to interfere in that choice.

Smoking is such a choice.

David
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Nobody except the owner/management of an apartment complex has such jurisdiction, do they? I can see that a prohibition against smoking in one's apartment may be imposed as a condition of tenancy by the authority of the entity which owns and operates the building, but certainly not a governmental body. That, it seems to me, is a clear violation of the right to privacy guarantees in the US Constitution. Is Bloomberg actually that off-the-wall nuts?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Landlords of buildings with three or more units would have to inform prospective tenants and purchasers whether smoking was allowed in apartments and on balconies, as well as in common outdoor areas like rooftops, that's what he wants.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, that's quite a bit different from what David seems to be saying here, Walter. I can see that a landlord might claim a right to prohibit smoking in a building he owns on various grounds, such as fear of fire or increased fire insurance premius; potential health hazards to other (non-smoker) tenants etc. etc. But I fail to see how any municipal legislative or executive body would have the right to impose such restrictions. Come to think of it, I'm not sure the government has any right to dictate what a landlord must include in the terms of a lease or rental agreement beyond those items which serve to protect the rights of both signatory parties.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Nobody except the owner/management of an apartment complex has such jurisdiction, do they?
Yes, thay DON 'T,
but the problem is one of USURPATION, which has plenty of precedent in America.
From our knowledge of history and from our reading of the Constitution,
it is more than abundantly clear that government was never granted power
to interfere with ingestion of opium, either, but a liberal interpretation was applied,
to deviate from personal freedom from governmental intrusion.
The seductive temptation was: social welfare. It has prevailed until this minute.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
I can see that a prohibition against smoking in one's apartment may be imposed as a condition of tenancy
I have selected non-smokers to be my tenanats
and to be my employees as attorneys, or support staff.
I detest the stench of tobacco cigarettes; marijuana is not as bad as that.

When I took in my girlfriend, Maralyn (hopelessly addicted to tobacco),
I made her agree to do ALL of her smoking outside. She did.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
by the authority of the entity which owns and operates the building,
but certainly not a governmental body.
AGREED!

Lustig Andrei wrote:
That, it seems to me, is a clear violation of the right to privacy guarantees in the US Constitution.
Is Bloomberg actually that off-the-wall nuts?
I don't know.
I 'm sure that he is BRILLIANT. I don 't know if he is sane.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 10:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Well, that's quite a bit different from what David seems to be saying here, Walter.
If this is how it STARTs, then how does it end ??
My life is behind me, but what about future citizens ?
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If your smoke go out of your apartment and then come into my apartment then I and the society had an interest in stopping that behavior in your apartment.

The government control people right to play loud music in their apartment for the same reason the sound waves are going out of your apartment and interfering with the rights of others to have a safe and peaceful environment.

To sum up my freedoms not to have my health ruin in my apartment by your actions override your right to poison yourself in your apartment.

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:47 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Well, that's quite a bit different from what David seems to be saying here, Walter.

I think you'll find that this is often the case when David mounts his soap box to rant hysterically about "liberals." This is more about partisan polemic than it is about the actual terms of the proposal.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:07 am
@Setanta,
My posting of this thread was in response to an ABC TV newscast
that put it in a more general way; (probably to attract attention).

Something about the mayor doing something (unclear)
to outlaw smoking in people 's apartments.

I was less than "hysterical", as u alleged; cigarettes gross me out.
Of course: its always fun to rankle the liberals.
I know a lot of them that r tobacco addicts.

David
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
the lady mayoress, michelle bloomberg, has long been a bit of a busy body
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:13 am
@djjd62,
Well, liberals CAN be intrusive.

I remain moderate in my condemnations of His Honor,
in that I admire his pre-political accomplishments.
Few people have equalled his succe$$

David
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:14 am
@djjd62,
As I said most apartment walls are neither sound proof or gas proof so that why laws controlling behaviors in one apartment is not unreasonable in regard to sound or smoke.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 06:16 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
If your smoke go out of your apartment and then come into my apartment then I and the society had an interest in stopping that behavior in your apartment.

The government control people right to play loud music in their apartment for the same reason the sound waves are going out of your apartment and interfering with the rights of others to have a safe and peaceful environment.

To sum up my freedoms not to have my health ruin in my apartment by your actions override your right to poison yourself in your apartment.
U raise good points.

Added to that,
there is the issue of safety from fire.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 07:58 am
It's mostly about the stink.

Joe(Tobacco stinks)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Conservatives are pretty damned intrusive when they try to tell women what they can do with their own bodies or stick their collective nose in someone's bedroom to tell them who they can and cannot have sex with. Might just be a case of whose ox is being gored.
djjd62

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:11 am
@BillRM,
i agree, doesn't negate Ms. Bloomberg's busy body-ness
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I wonder if this is actually a fire safety measure?

While I think folks have the right to self-destructive behaviors, I don't think their self destruction should take down their neighbors.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:29 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Nobody except the owner/management of an apartment complex has such jurisdiction, do they? I can see that a prohibition against smoking in one's apartment may be imposed as a condition of tenancy by the authority of the entity which owns and operates the building, but certainly not a governmental body. That, it seems to me, is a clear violation of the right to privacy guarantees in the US Constitution. Is Bloomberg actually that off-the-wall nuts?

Oh, I absolutely do agree. Personally, I think that smoking is obnoxious, and would like the world to be smoke free. But it is not the job of the government to
create laws to prohibit smoking in private spaces.
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:44 am
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:
But it is not the job of the government to
create laws to prohibit smoking in private spaces.

It sure the hell is in the cases where that smoke leave one person private space and enter into someone else private space!!!!!!!!