A Polish guy, Chinese guy, and Priest walk into a bar...

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:05 am
On tv, and seeing/listening to comedy shows, or just racial jokes in general, which ethinic group do you feel is made fun of the most?

Who gets the short end of the stick? Asians? Polish? Irish? Black? Even the clergy?

I say it's a toss up between jokes about Asian people, and black stand up comedians making fun of themselves.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,320 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Equus

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:15 pm
I think it varies over time. Certainly Jews, Irish, and blondes* seem to have more than their fair share of jokes right now (are there any blonde Irish Jews?).

On the other hand, there are very few jokes I've ever heard about Macedonians or Eritreans.

*Okay, I know 'blondes' is not an ethnic group, but they don't, so don't make a big deal....
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:36 pm
So this Macadonian and an Eritrean walk into a bar...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:52 pm
don't forget rednecks. In America 60 years ago it might have been the Polish... Probably black people because there is a media frenzy with them. It is popular to be black these days. And as far as race goes, they make fun of themselves and other people, so I dunno. Someone should do statistics on these things.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:54 pm
Dunno. I watch enough Comedy Central that I pretty much see everybody abused on television. Couldn't tell you what goes on on "the major networks"...
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:45 pm
I used to see a lot of stuff against Mexicans, when I lived in AZ. Guess it really depends.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 05:51 pm
Depends on the region.

Asians get a lot of flak in most areas of the world because of their very different culture.

Americans are a butt of many jokes because of our visibility (e.g. Jokes about Clinton and blow jobs were not at all limited to America).

Each nation has a whipping boy, for example Brazilians make fun of Portuguese. I have no idea why America's traditional whipping biy is the Polish but we all know the dumb pollack jokes even if we don't know why they are told.

Self-depreciating black humor is big, stateside. Cris Rock is really big on this ("When I go to the ATM late at night I'm not looking over my shoulder for the 'MEDIA'....").

Personally I think it's Asians. The appearance and culture is such that many many regions around the world use them as the butt of jokes.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:51 pm
It has to be white people. They are at the end of revenge's ugly ass when it comes to racial jokes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:15 pm
Three pieces of string walk into a bar and sit down. The first one says to the bartender, "I'll have a beer please".
The bartender scowls and says in a loud voice, "We don't serve pieces of string here!" He picks him up and throws him into the street.

The bartender walk back behind the bar and the second piece of string says, "Whiskey please"
The bartender is really angry now and says, "Didn't you hear what I just said? I don't serve friggin' pieces of string in this bar!" He proceeds to pick up the second piece of string and toss him out.

The third piece of string has been watching the proceeding carefully and realized he must take action. He runs into the bathroom, loops himself a half dozen times, and tussles both ends of his body. He then casually walks to the bar and says, "Vodka Sour please"

The bartender looks at him quizzically and says in a menacing tone, "Say... aren't you a piece of string?"

"I'm a frayed knot." is the reply.

(that being said, I'll cast my vote for pieces of string as being the group that gets picked on the most)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:24 pm
These days, anybody who wears a turban...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:34 pm
I've never actually heard a joke about someone wearing a turban.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 10:04 am
If you're in the northeast region, you may hear a joke or two about the lovely ladies of Maine.

What's the first thing a 14 year old girl from Maine says when she's done having sex?
-Git off me pa, you're crushing my cigarettes.

What does a hockey goalie and a girl from Maine have in common?
-They both change their pads after three periods.

How can you tell a girl from Maine is on her period?
-She has only one sock on.

What's a girl from Maine the most proud of?
-Her tooth.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:41 pm
Everyone makes fun of old people! (and old people make fun of themselves.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:47 pm
Personally, I'm sick of hearing people make fun of the Manx.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 01:49 pm
Portal Star made an excellent observation.

Most comedy shows declare open season on old people because their demographics are usually weighted towards the young.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 11:08 am
Yes, but I don't think there's the same 'us against them' humor involved in old people jokes. Most young people can look ahead to becoming old people someday. But no WASPS can look ahead to becoming Chinese, Catholic, or black.
0 Replies