Name for a theatre company - any suggestions?

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 06:41 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Crosscurrents?

Quote:
) rip: a stretch of turbulent water in a river or the sea caused by one current flowing into or across another current.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 07:23 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
In alphabetical order:

Adapter
Bridge
Coupling
Frequency Modulator
Gain
Notes
Resistor
Resonance

My personal favorite is Resistor. It alludes more to conflict than to confluence, but I like the double entendre. As a backup, Frequency Modulator captures the Opera part nicely.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2012 09:51 pm
@Thomas,
I like Frequency Modulator, or Frequency Mod, myself.

I agree with IzzythePush re not sounding too pretentious/esoteric, unless you want twenty seven people to show up at the plays, most of them family or friends and one guy off the street.

Who is in your hoped for audience?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 04:21 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
The Spaghetti Junction Theatre Company.
igm

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 06:46 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Rapport (contemporary opera/ experimental theatre company). Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:44 am
The Four-Penny Opera (taking inflation into account).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:50 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Who is in your hoped for audience?

great question.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 05:39 pm
Thank you everyone. I particularly like parergon, and also rapport.
Grandiose definitely isn't the intention, but we do have to be clever. Clever and emotionally resonant.

The sort of audience will be London/East London theatre middle class art wankers, as per.

The underground projects might be something like this:
http://carmen-elektra.com/

On a scheme currently that could land us here:
http://www.roh.org.uk/roh2/

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 07:07 pm
entanglement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

The idea that particles that interact, but become separated, share properties even though there is no physical connection, reverse the spin of an 'entangled' hadron on one side of the universe and its partner reverses its spin.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:09 pm
The simpler the better I'd think....who'll remember a long dragged out difficult name - something simply but eloquent.

Curio
The (your last name) Theater
Novus
Copera (contemporary opera)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:18 pm
@CalamityJane,
I love German pragmatism, would n´t suggest any better myself ! Wink
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:24 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Thanks Fil - as we say: it's tough being a German but somebody's got to do it! Laughing
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
...and you guys have being do it all lately...but I am afraid it wont be enough to keep the house together...lets hope Spain can hold on... Rolling Eyes
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2012 08:37 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Not when Juan Carlos is breaking his hip while hunting elephants Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:30 am
My English is not that bad, but honestly more than half of the words suggested as a name I can in no way connect with a theatre. I caqnnot conect them with anything at all.
Think about all the foreigners going to plays in London - they will not understand that it is a theatre you mean.
I would suggest a name which can easily be understood by most folks whatever native English speaking or foreigners.
You have plenty of foreigners working in showbusiness in London, they should be able to know they can look for a job at your place.
hingehead

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 06:54 am
@saab,
I respectfully disagree Saab.

In the arts the reputation makes the name. Pink Floyd is a stupid name if you have no concept of the artist it refers to.

PQs audience will either start out word of mouth, or by people who like that sort of thing scanning 'what's on' sections of their preferred media. The name will reflect the altitude of the brow it's aimed at. So if you're looking for something edgy you won't go to the Hackney Players' production of 'Pyjama Party'.

And most people go to a play and couldn't tell you who put it on. As for job seekers, well if they're looking for work by theatre company names they know it's going to be a long day - besides wouldn't they search for 'Theatre Companies' (again in their media of choice, Yellow Pages to Google) then see all the weird names.

A minor quibble I grant you.
saab

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 07:07 am
@hingehead,
I agree with you to a certain extent.
I guess you speak for the native English speaking people.
I speak for the tourists.
I have been to London several times to go to a play and I not only go because of a certain play, but the name of the theatre. If it is too complicated I would think it too much of a show off and too little of serious play.
Pink Floyd is in no way a stupid name - it is short and pink can be understood by almost any body.
I like the name as my convertable is one of the few with the name Pink Floyd at the side.
http://img.autos.cozot.de/pics/de/2011/09/24/Super-VW-GOLF-3-Cabrio-und-TV-NEU-Berlin-Wedding-20110924125211.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 08:09 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

The Spaghetti Junction Theatre Company.

I'd buy a yearly membership to that house of art. Razz

The Marinara level membership for me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 08:16 am
Clearly if one is to name a cultural institution then using a real word could truly limit one's branding potential. A slight variant or misspelling of a certain word could be trademarked and thusly the name would be thusly and permanently welded to that institution (for better or worse).

And also try and avoid those particular topical synergistic/empowerment words that make a lot of people roll their eyes because they really don't mean anything because they're basically and frustratingly vague and overused by anyone spouting out nonsense yet want to sound overly enlightened.

Try deep sea diving into very esoteric mythology for the name.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2012 09:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Good points, from my view.
0 Replies