The Fourth Stooge: Memories Of 'Uncle Shemp'

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 01:46 pm
The Fourth Stooge: Memories Of 'Uncle Shemp'
April 14, 2012
by Linda Holmes - NPR Weekend Edition Saturday

This weekend, the Farrelly Brothers' version of The Three Stooges arrives in theaters. You'll see plenty of Larry, Moe and Curly. But who won't you see? Shemp. Or, as NPR's Sue Goodwin calls him, "Uncle Shemp."

That's right. Uncle Shemp was married to Gertrude, the aunt of Sue's father, Bill Goodwin. Bill even lived with Aunt Gertrude and Uncle Shemp for a time and remembers his uncle as a man who never hesitated to help others during the hard times of the Depression. While Sue never met Shemp Howard herself, as she reports on Saturday's Weekend Edition, her father remembers that life wasn't always easy in slapstick.

"Well, I remember once he came home with a black eye," Bill Goodwin says, "and I asked him what had happened, and he told me that they accidentally — I forget which one, whether it was Moe or Larry that did it, but, uh, he accidentally got hit very hard when he was supposed to, you know, not get hit hard."

Eventually, Shemp left the group he'd formed with his brothers to go solo in Hollywood, and his brother Curly took over. Later, when Curly was unwell, Shemp returned until his death in 1955. Sue, who's the executive producer of Talk Of The Nation, says she was born to soon to know Uncle Shemp, but she's always known he was part of the family. "Just being related made me feel a little bit famous myself," she says.

PHOTO: Shemp Howard (at left) is seen in an undated studio handout photo with actor Emil Sitka (second from left) and the other two then-Stooges, Larry Fine and Moe Howard.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/04/14/150595589/the-fourth-stooge-memories-of-uncle-shemp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 01:48 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
More Stooges photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+the+four+stooges&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PtSJT5-FMu--2AXbhvyzCQ&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=800&bih=436
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:23 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yup, he's a bit of the forgotten stooge.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:27 pm
I have seen Shemp in some Stooges epics. I have also seen him in other kinds of films, such as westerns. He was as good as the rest of them.
Reyn

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2012 08:39 pm
Shemp left the troupe to become a successful character actor in Hollywood, appearing in such classics as The Bank Dick with W.C. Fields, Buck Privates with Abbott & Costello, and Hellzapoppin' with Oslen & Johnson. He gave that all up when he went back to the Stooges after his brother Curly suffered a career-ending stroke.

I can understand those who claim that Shemp is their favorite Stooge. Shemp was indeed a very funny guy, but Curly was a comic genius (although I have a sneaking admiration for Larry, the Zeppo of the Three Stooges).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 04:54 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
There was a fifth, sixth, and seventh stooge.
Joe Besser (called "JOE") was hired in the early 50's after Shemp left again. He had a contract clause that forbad him to be pummeled or otherwise hit . His humor was mostly wisecracking and, since it was not slapstick based , JOE was soon dumped in favor of
Joe Derita--(known as "CURLY JOE"). He continued on until the end (mostly as a tv act) and somewhere around the early 1970's , whenwhile filming "Kooks Tour"Larry Fine suffered a stroke and he , was replaced by Steve Ripka who had appeared as a foil in some of the very early stooges flicks. Rip[ka appeared as Larry's brother.

Stooges were on tv whn I was a small kid in the ate 50's and my mom would only alow me to watch them one day a week for fear that I was gonna learn their techniques and turn into this fiend who would poke peoples eyes out. ( everybody knew that thats what bee bee guns were for)

raprap

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 10:11 am
@farmerman,
Quote From 'Bart the Daredevil' Season 2

Quote:
Dr. Hibbert: This little boy broke his leg, trying to fly like Superman. This little boy's brother hit him in the head with a wrench, mimicing a recent TV wrestling match. I wont even subject you to the horrors of our three stooges ward.
Marge: Gee, I never realized TV was such a dangerous influence.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 04:58 pm
@raprap,
nyuck nyuck nyuck, Hey Moe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:25 pm
I may be a sap, but I want to see the new movie.
Reyn

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2012 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, I'm thinking about it, too.

Maybe...
0 Replies