Politk und Kino.....

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:10 pm
Berlin Kinofest
Quote:
Protests at Berlin Film Festival
Festival president Dieter Kosslick was at the opening
Student protesters targeted the start of the Berlin Film Festival as several expected A-list stars failed to appear.

About 500 demonstrators angered by cuts in Berlin's education budget tried to force their way on to the red carpet in Marlene Dietrich Square.

Actors absent from the festival launch included Nicole Kidman, Jude Law and Renee Zellweger - stars of its opening film, US civil war drama Cold Mountain.

The 54th annual festival, featuring 400 films in all, runs until 15 February.

Among the world's most prestigious industry gatherings, it is the first major movie competition of 2004.

Fargo actress Frances McDormand is chairing the film jury

Fargo actress Frances McDormand, who is chairing the festival jury, said she saw no harm in the protests.

"I love that, that's fabulous. We are the people," she said as she arrived to the whistles and chants of the students.

But festival president Dieter Kosslick criticised protesters who he said had thrown unidentified items.

"That's stupid," he said. "The foreign guests won't understand what it is about, they will think we are rioters throwing things."

A screening of Cold Mountain had been expected to draw the stars, but crowds were left disappointed.

Kidman was in Australia for "personal reasons", while Zellweger and Law - both nominated for Oscars - could not get out of filming schedules.

Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton star in Something's Gotta Give
But Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein promised that Zellweger and Law would make an appearance later in the festival.

Cold Mountain director Anthony Minghella rejected criticism from some US commentators that a film about American history had been shot in Romania to save money.

He dismissed arguments that foreigners had tampered with US history or cheated Hollywood workers out of jobs with the big budget movie.

Big names expected at this year's festival include Jack Nicholson, Cate Blanchett, Juliette Binoche, Julie Delpy, Peter Fonda, Robin Williams, Woody Harrelson and Ethan Hawke.

Oscar-nominated actress Diane Keaton arrived to promote romantic comedy Something's Gotta Give which co-stars Nicholson.

So, was denkst du?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 832 • Replies: 11
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
I don't get it. Why were they protesting there for that reason?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
Because that's where the money is.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:36 pm
ah
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:39 pm
There was a famous bank robber in the 1950's (forget his name now), who when asked why he robbed banks, gave the reporter a bland "how stupid are you" look and slowly enunciated that statement, as though he were speaking to a not-so-bright child.

I see you took my point. For anyone reading here who does not, the protesters simply went to the place in Berlin where the most news cameras were to be found.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:40 pm
They might get "discovered?"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 08:44 pm
We used that sort of idea in the '60's and '70's. A friend of ours gave us the word that local television stations were going to do a piece on Fort Eustace, Virginia on Armed Forces day in 1972. So we hurried up, and placed ourselves on public property right in front of the main gate, with signs and chants. Worked like a charm. The local tv boys and girls took it and ran with it. "Local protesters give the Army a black eye on Armed Forces Day." It's an old, tried and true technique.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:28 am
And an effective one!

(I read the article kinda quickly--what did Madonna have to do with it? She's in the poll.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:43 am
Setanta wrote:
There was a famous bank robber in the 1950's (forget his name now), who when asked why he robbed banks, gave the reporter a bland "how stupid are you" look and slowly enunciated that statement, as though he were speaking to a not-so-bright child.

That would have been Willie Sutton. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:54 am
Thanks, Boss, i can't ever seem to remember his name . . . i believe that many years ago i saw the news reel in which the question was directed at him . . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 11:28 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
And an effective one!

(I read the article kinda quickly--what did Madonna have to do with it? She's in the poll.)

As an example of the silliness of protesting at the film fest.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2004 02:05 am
This reminds me - some age as setanta, you see :wink: - of 1968.

Our school secretary had won the only (West-)German gold medal for women at the Olympics in Mexico.
She got a (German) kind of confetti parade in my hometown. So we decided to "talk tacheles" with all the reporters and tv teams.

Was a great success ..... besides at home, in school, friends of our families, .... Laughing

The following years, in the navy and at university, I improved my "tactics", having learnt it that hard way :wink:
0 Replies