I Need Some Advice..

thack45

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:24 am
I've been thinking for several months now about going to school, even changed my job for a more consistent schedule. The time feels right and I feel the rut trying to sink in.

So I really don't know where to start with all this, I only know I'm looking at the software development field (computer science degree). I guess the bad part is I don't know what questions to even ask... Any advice? Suggestions? Motivation? Anything would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,240 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 08:58 am
@thack45,
What is your current level of education?
jo123

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 09:21 am
@ehBeth,
go and speak with an advisor who may be able to point you in the right direction
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 01:14 pm
@ehBeth,
H.S.

Embarrassed
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 01:22 pm
@thack45,
Nothing to Embarrassed about.

Just changes the resources available to you.

I'd suggest you begin by checking out the local private agencies or offices of government departments that offer free vocational assessment testing - they also often have staff that can help you determine if there are any scholarships or bursaries you can apply for.
thack45

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 03:14 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Nothing to Embarrassed about.

I squandered opportunities. But it's sweet of you to say.

As for the rest of your post, Thank you. I'll be checking in to it. I actually am awaiting a call back from someone at franklin university. I filled out a request for info from them online, but I'm concerned that franklin may be perceived as one of the dreaded "degree mills". We'll see...
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 03:18 pm
@thack45,
Ooh I just saw something about free courses being offered at a great university -- Sanford?

This is what I was thinking of:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/education/moocs-large-courses-open-to-all-topple-campus-walls.html

Quote:
The pitch for the online course sounds like a late-night television ad, or maybe a subway poster: “Learn programming in seven weeks starting Feb. 20. We’ll teach you enough about computer science that you can build a Web search engine like Google or Yahoo.”

But this course, Building a Search Engine, is taught by two prominent computer scientists, Sebastian Thrun, a Stanford research professor and Google fellow, and David Evans, a professor on leave from the University of Virginia.

The big names have been a big draw. Since Udacity, the for-profit startup running the course, opened registration on Jan. 23, more than 90,000 students have enrolled in the search-engine course and another taught by Mr. Thrun, who led the development of Google’s self-driving car.

Welcome to the brave new world of Massive Open Online Courses — known as MOOCs — a tool for democratizing higher education. While the vast potential of free online courses has excited theoretical interest for decades, in the past few months hundreds of thousands of motivated students around the world who lack access to elite universities have been embracing them as a path toward sophisticated skills and high-paying jobs, without paying tuition or collecting a college degree. And in what some see as a threat to traditional institutions, several of these courses now come with an informal credential (though that, in most cases, will not be free).
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 03:42 pm
@sozobe,
A friend of mine in the area (Columbus) was a delivery guy for a long time, went back to school to get his degree in computer science, completed the degree, and now is working in that field. I can't remember where he got the degree though -- I'm thinking Columbus State Community College or OSU.

I've emailed him to ask if he has any tips.
thack45

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 04:12 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you much sozObe Wink

This is all very exciting for me. Now I just need to keep the motivation up.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:27 pm
@thack45,
Thack, I see I didn't respond here. Well, I did in my mind. I'm all for your exploring more school. Go for what you like.
0 Replies

schecher9193

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 09:35 pm
@thack45,
Just do what is necessary.. Smile
0 Replies