What are the Pros and Cons of moving to Costa Rica?

Craven de Kere

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:38 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I insisted she tell me all about it over dinner tonight and she agreed. Is there anything special I should know about beautiful Brazilian women? :wink:

Brazilians tend to be butt people. They usually think American fascination with breasts is odd (and the ideal American breast is something they consider to be unrealistic and tasteless).

This is changing and Brazil is not the second country in the world in terms of breast implants (behind the US) but the largest implant they use is about the size of the smallest implant typically used in America.

Sir Mixalot's anthem ("I like big butts and I cannot lie.....") is appropriate for Brazil.

So with this in mind, I say with all the subtlety I can muster that you should remember that Brazilians are traditionally butt people.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 01:56 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
So with this in mind, I say with all the subtlety I can muster that you should remember that Brazilians are traditionally butt people.
Shocked Do you mean what I think you mean? Laughing
Unlike Sir-Mix-alot, I've always preferred thin to model thin women (I know, I'm part of the anorexia problem, sorry) and from what I remember; she fits the Bill. Without digressing into my inner pig... there is obvious attraction between us... so an honest answer to my question above may prove helpful. :wink:

I thank you for the support Soz! :wink:

(uh, oh... I'm getting Emoticon crazy again Laughing )
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:02 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Shocked Do you mean what I think you mean? Laughing

Yes.

Wait, last time I agreed to that without checking I ended up naked and.. nemind. I really think I mean what you think I mean.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:06 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

fbaezer

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 02:41 pm
Popular knowledge here says Americans are breast people because their mothers fed them with the bottle, so they miss breasts all their lives.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 06:19 pm
Damn it Jim... I'm a doctor not a magician! Shocked My date can not find a sitter for tonight Sad ... so we've rescheduled till tomorrow night. I suppose this means I have to bring one of those candy hearts or something. A first date on Valentine's Day? Rolling Eyes I wonder if any good can possibly come of that.

I apologize to the author for the soap opera morph.
Oh yeah, that's me. Apology accepted. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
All this California dumping, gee. My neighborhoods and my friends were all friendly, I insist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:32 pm
Yeah, but you were around Venice, right? Venice is a world unto itself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 09:47 pm
Yes, Venice. (Venice IS a world, encompassing everything from long time gang territory to multimillion dollar beach houses.) When my ex and I first lived there though, we bought our house in a redlined area, as in banks-don't-lend-too-dangerous-for-them. It was the first place I ever lived where I knew every family (etc.) on the block and further than the block.

I did live up in Brentwood for a few of my teen years, where we had bought a house and then could barely make payments and eat too since my dad was unemployed for long stretches - not that you should feel sorry for me, but that our financial situation plus the coldness of that particular neighborhood made it a long term visit to outer space.

I also have grown from a shy kid to someone who looks around and talks to virtually anybody who looks alert, so part of it may have to do with changes in me.

Pulling this conversation together, I am still friends with a Venice neighbor (he has visited me up here, 900 miles away to stop on by) who goes to Brazil at least once a year and his friends from there come up to Los Angeles to visit him. Some of them work for Varig. I am sort of in their email loop...

I've tried to get my neighbor friend to join a2k, as he writes wonderful summaries of his times in Brazil, but he has what is to me the world's - s l o w e s t - computer. I plan to keep trying.
0 Replies

Wy

Fri 13 Feb, 2004 11:54 pm
bookmarking...(hi!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 14 Feb, 2004 12:55 am
(hi!)
0 Replies

hamburger

Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:15 pm
one way of making a real good living in central-america (and some other places) seems to be to work as a teacher for an AMERICAN school. daughter of friends of ours (she would now be about 50 years of age) signed up as a teacher with a company that hires teachers under contract to teach in foreign countries some twenty years ago. she is being paid in u.s. dollars and even has some kind of a retirement plan. once a year she is entitled to a paid return flight to canada (or the equivalent payout). she has tought in colombia, peru and korea. she took a two year leave of absence, but now is planning to return to peru. i've spoken with her a number of times over the years and she told me, that she would find it difficult to return to canada and settle here again. she never gave up her canadian citizenship and seems to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds - living in a warm climate under relaxed conditions and good pay in u.s. dollars. she did admit, that it took her a couple of years to get used to the extreme poverty of the "ordinary" people in those countries.( she teaches in a private americaan school and is used to only the best). she said that she tries to help the "ordinary" people whenever she can to justify her own relative wealth. she also feels, that by bringing some western/modern/social ideas to her private school students, she helps bring new ideas to these students, which is probably true. hbg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Sun 15 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
That sounds wonderful HBG! I don't think I'm qualified to be a teacher in a country with such a high level of education to begin with. Craven's idea of tutoring folks may be more up my alley. In all likelihood, I'll be sticking with my proven talents and do neither. But it is a romantic thought.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Wed 18 Feb, 2004 10:38 am
As you all know; I'm going to Costa Rica again at the end of this month. I intend to file the necessary paper work to bring things in to sell. Right now; I'm looking for where I can buy the cheapest 100 Personal CD players I can find. In the future, if all goes well; I plan to ship containers full of various electronics, but I want to start new relationships out by giving away CD players. Does anyone know where I could get them CHEAP? Best I've found so far; is $12.88 each. Any and all help would be appreciated. (I've started a new thread for this topic Here, but I'll be monitoring both threads so it doesn't really matter where you answer). Thank you!
0 Replies

BradMorgan

Wed 24 Mar, 2004 12:42 pm
Just my 2 cents but have you thought of checking out Belize? Great place as long as you stay out of Belize City.
0 Replies

Clary

Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:55 am
I've read this with great interest as Costa Rica has always been on my list of 'must visits'. After my current Asian Odyssey, I'd love to visit - so let us know when and where, Occom! I think the benefits of low/no tax are applicable to most of us from the Western world! And I believe there are more species of bird in C R than in the whole of the rest of the Americas.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:57 am
Clary: Finishing up with my business here is taking longer than expected. I'm hoping to schedule my next trip 2 or 3 weeks from now. If all goes well, and I don't change my mind, I should be spending at least half my time there in a few months. If you are planning a vacation sooner; I can recommend a hotel, restaurants and activities. I couldn't recommend it more strongly!
0 Replies

Clary

Wed 31 Mar, 2004 05:15 am
Thanks Occom B, As you may know I'm currently in Phnom Penh in heat and dust and traffic fumes so Costa Rica's greenery appeals more than somewhat.

Is it all full of tax exiles, like the Cayman Islands? If so it's probably too smart and expensive for me!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:48 am
So far only 1% expatriates. No income tax.
Phnom Penh... Cambodia? Shocked Well I imagine it will be tough to find someplace cheaper to live than that! Laughing I'm seeing $1,600 per capita earnings for Cambodia... Costa Rica's latest report is $8,300 (using GDP per Capita). Wow... it never occurred to that that might be considered high to anyone (stupid American). I'm told Belize has much in common with Costa Rica, and it's definitely cheaper there...(still $4,900 earnings Confused ). Well, I hope saving the money isn't the biggest factor, or you're looking at a pretty short list. (I'm filthy rich in the Congo!).

Anyway, no, it's nothing like the Caymans. Prettier mind you, but costs perhaps 10 to 20 cents on the dollar to visit. 1/3 of the land is natural and protected. The natural beauty in so stunningly apparent as soon as you leave the city, that you kind of feel kinda guilty just for being there. All with the means should check it out. Of course, if that happened it would likely turn into an overpopulated Sh--hole like much of South Florida.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:12 am
O'Bill, you should check out Clary's current travel diary. Fascinating reading.
0 Replies