Is There Anyone who STILL has an Interest in a Cruise Vacation??

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 10:19 pm
Quote:
SANDAKAN, Malaysia — Passengers of a fire-damaged luxury cruise ship lauded the captain and crew Monday for maintaining order and bringing them safely ashore in Malaysia after 24 hours adrift in Philippine waters.

The Azamara Quest was stranded off the southern Philippines with 1,000 people aboard after flames engulfed one of its engine rooms Friday, injuring five crew members. It restored propulsion the next night and reached the harbor of Sandakan city in Malaysia’s eastern state of Sabah on Borneo island late Sunday.

More than two hours after the ship docked, buses took passengers — many smiling despite looking tired — to hotels at around midnight. Malaysian police and consular officials from countries including the U.S., Britain and Canada were also present.

The fire, which was immediately extinguished, knocked out air conditioning on the ship. Passenger Diane Becker Krasnick of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, said conditions were very hot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/after-24-hours-adrift-stricken-cruise-ship-with-1000-aboard-to-dock-in-malaysia-on-sunday/2012/04/01/gIQAbbgWoS_story.html?hpid=z11

This I think is the second major fire of the last week (the other being off the Eastern shore of Africa where the worry was that Pirates would use the opportunity to take the ship) , we have Carnival routinely letting its captains go on joy rides to include one who likes to play chicken with islands but who sometimes loses, and we have the constant threat of mass microbe infection of the ships making the days onboard very unpleasant for most.

Who is ready to go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 10:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
28 February 2012

Stricken Costa cruise ship off Seychelles changes route

The Italian cruise ship left adrift with more than 1,000 people on board after a power failure now faces a longer journey before reaching land.

The Costa Allegra is being towed to the main island in the Seychelles, rather than a nearer island, and is not now due to arrive until Thursday.

A fire in the ship's generator room on Monday caused it to lose all power.

The ship is from the same fleet as the Costa Concordia, which capsized off the Italian coast in January, killing 32.

A statement from the ship's owners Costa Cruises said that after checking with maritime experts, it had decided that the planned disembarkation on the smaller-but-nearer Desroches Island could not go ahead.
The vessel has no air-conditioning or cooking facilities and an emergency generator powering the radio "could fail at any minute", the Italian coast guard says.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 10:34 pm
The only cruise I'd be interested in is along the shores of the Alaskan coastline.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 10:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

The only cruise I'd be interested in is along the shores of the Alaskan coastline.

Be careful, besides the problems I have already pointed out we also have multiple reports that cruse lines have shown zero interest in investigating or otherwise dealing with shipboard rapes while in international waters ..... and yes I am fully aware of how ironic it is that it is I who is pointing this out given the multi-year back and forth that I have had with Firefly on sexual relationship issues.....
0 Replies