connection and freezing problem - gets exception 05

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:20 am
I have a great deal of trouble getting online of late. I know my server is one of the true Mickey Mouse outfits in the business (but cheap) and sometimes they are at fault. But, after I go off line, frequently a red X covers the icon and they both freeze; ultimately I have to restart to get anything going. Last time I did the Ctrl Alt Delete thing and recieved this message:
exception 05 at 0028:c2920074 in VxD
0028:00042F08 in VxD

My brother told me a few weeks back to install a new driver off a disc (I don't know about such a disk).

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 02:53 pm
I have located some programs for repairing VXD errors, for a price. I am waiting for some knowledgeable advice before going ahead with one.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
Edgar, looks like no one has the answer so far. It might help if you list the kind of system you have.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:27 pm
My pc is still under warranty, but I am not convinced this is a time to contact them about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
Just a guess, but he may be refering to the installation software for the modem. Anyway, if you have it, it can't hurt to try.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:02 pm
I have a Compaq Presario 5080US.

Roger: I ran the system restore disc Friday evening and the problem persists.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:09 pm
I also have a Compaq Presario. Have you updated the drivers on your modem? What system are you running.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
Oh, by the way, I was suffering frequent disconnects (different problem, I know) and told Earthlink the problem would be corrected or I would go elsewhere. The sent me a collection of codes and clear instructions on how to use them. The first one worked.

Now, digging through the ISP's homepage for contact info can be a bear, but in this case, it paid off.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:41 pm
colorbook
I don't know how to update the drivers - ain't sure what that means. I am using Me.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 09:49 pm
I'll look them up for you.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 10:28 pm
There are no new updates for your modem since March of 2001. I have high speed and the Compaq web site is slower than a snails pace...can't even troubleshoot. As long as you are under warranty, you can call Compaq, they will troubleshoot with you. Be prepared though...last time I called them I was on hold for about 45 minutes before I actually talked to a real person. If you have AOL, it is possible your connection problem could be with them. When I had them as my provider, I always seemed to have connection problems of some sort, off and on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2004 11:17 pm
Edgar, Your problem is windows Me. I had that problem frequently when I had windows Me. After I upgraded to windows XP, that problem disappeared. Earthlink is one of the better ISP's out there, so I don't think it's Earthlink. Other ISP's like AOL were/are the worst for involuntary cut offs. I often wonder why people use AOL. Our son switched over to DSL, so we now have DSL. We have two computers on one dedicated telephone line, and I don't even log off any more. No problems. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 02:25 am
CI
I think I will upgrade and see what happens. I really appreciate those of you who have taken the time to help me out. I'm pretty dumb about my PC.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 10:04 pm
Well, I've been on Windows XP for about twenty five minutes now. Not bad, so far.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 10:15 pm
You've already upgraded? I also have XP, so much easier to use.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 10:16 pm
edgar, I've been on XP for quite awhile now, and I've had no involuntary cutoffs or freezes. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2004 10:21 pm
I've got my fingers and toes all crossed.
0 Replies