Adding Memory

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:07 am
Monger- Actually, the truth of the matter was, when I changed memory in my old computer, I had my husband do it for me. He has played with electronics for his entire life, and wouldn't DREAM of spending money on a grounding strap. He showed me how to ground myself, if I ever had to do it.

Thankyouverymuch, I WILL buy a grounding strap, if that contingency ever comes to pass. I am a bit (?) of a klutz, and would probably end up having my hair stand on end if I ever played around with the innards of a computer! Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 05:10 am
OK then, just don't let any geeks catch you using it. Wink Laughing Jus' kidding
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:17 am
I bought, and used, a grounding strap. Glad I did because the card was harder to seat than I thought. I put the thing in and... after a week!... decided that I'd better check.

'Cuz I'm lazy, I unplugged the power supply, and nothing else. Which requires getting down on the ground and contorting around the desk. Sometimes we go to great lengths to be lazy. anyway, it's been a long cold winter, so there's static electricity to be had everywhere.

- - - - - - - - - -

And, if I were a turbo-nerd , I'd have a more interesting career than I do now.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:31 am
Not trying to beat any horses here; just seeing if I can encouage computer novices to not worry too much about messing around inside a computer...

Few computer parts are as delicate as many people think. I yank cords in & out & don't bother to handle expansion cards & RAM only along the edges. Touch the power supply every now & again & there's no need to worry about frying any innards.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:39 am
That site can't read my computer

I wanted to find out how much memory I have!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:46 am
Deb, that site Phoenix linked to can help you determine what type of RAM your motherboard uses, not how much you've got. To figur' that, right-click My Computer & click Properties...near the bottom of the window that comes up it'll say something like 392,696 KB RAM (that's how much I've got).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:48 am
496 Mbs.

is that good?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:49 am
I had memory added when it was in hospital - and it wasna showing up in the how much capacity I was using in defrag. Hadn't changed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:50 am
Hey! I think my available RAM is bigger than yours! heehee
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:55 am
dlowan wrote:
Hey! I think my available RAM is bigger than yours! heehee

It is. Wink And it's prolly faster RAM than mine is, too. Crying or Very sad

dlowan wrote:
I had memory added when it was in hospital - and it wasna showing up in the how much capacity I was using in defrag. Hadn't changed.

Thas' coz it doesn't defrag your RAM (memory), but your hard drive (storage), rather.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:02 am
Rams race?

How odd....
0 Replies