Need to Run a Nebook on Solar/Wind

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:39 pm
I am looking at living in an RV in the woods on the coast - lots of wind and some sun. The only real electrical need I would have is powering my netbook. I don't know much at all about solar. Is there a simple solar system (prefer 1 panel) that would power my netbook (panel hooked to 1 deep cycle battery) if I use it all day? I watch video and run various programs, listen to audio and read ebooks primarily. Will not be using internet while disconnected from the grid. I would prefer something very inexpensive (less than $300 for everything) and portable (meaning not necessarily mounted/installed into/onto the RV) and easy to operate. If possible, I would also like to hook up to the system a GudCraft Vertical Turbine to charge the battery at night, since there will be wind frequently. My location will be on the west coast, often rainy/cloudy in winter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,544 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:09 pm
@cmabc123,
Tractor Supply Company has a catalog with lots of solar charging dinguses. They sell em to farmers in the boonies who wish to keep their tractors oin sheds and as long as the battery is charged itll make it through cold weather. AMish use em to charge their power tools and fences.

Holiday Rambler makes a unit for the top of your RV and you can get several variable AMP ratings from 2 amps (tricklers) to 5 and 10 amp nits for continupous use of heater fans , tvs, and computers in RVs for people who "dry dock" a lot.

I dont see charging electricity as a big deal (Unless you insist living in the deep dark woods), bt I do see a problem with sewage disposal and water sources. (How long a time will you be living ot there?)
cmabc123

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 09:54 pm
@farmerman,
Hey Farmerman,

>>>I dont see charging electricity as a big deal (Unless you insist living in the >>>deep dark woods), bt I do see a problem with sewage disposal and water >>>sources. (How long a time will you be living ot there?)

I would be out in the "deep dark woods" for approximately 1 week at a time then would make a trip back into town (actually bouncing between several towns on an established 200 mile / month route) to dump the tanks, fill up with water, check mail, buy supplies and head back out. It is even possible (but not preferable) to stay the night in a campground (the area is tourist based) and use the electric to top off all batteries, equipment. But, if I had a dependable, cost effective system that could be used while in the woods, this would be ideal.

cmabc123
farmerman

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2012 10:15 pm
@cmabc123,
Then your best source is Campers World, they have many kinds of solar roof chargers for refreshing your appliances that operate on 24v.or 12 v.
0 Replies