Testing solar panel

chuck52

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:55 am
I wanted to test a newly aquired solar panel with a max output of about 18 volts. I put it in partial shade to get an output of 3 volts and connected it to an LED but it did not light up None of other small appliances and battery operated toys in the 3-9 volt would work. Any suggestions
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 969 • Replies: 2
No top replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:34 am
@chuck52,
Are you sure the voltage output varies with the solar panel? It could be set up so the voltage is constant and amperage varies.

Do you have a volt meter to test what kind of voltage you are actually getting?

If you have tested and know the output voltage varies and your voltage is in the 3 volt range then -

Are you sure you are attaching positive and negative connectors properly to the LED? An LED only works one direction. What is the voltage requirement on your LED? A 12v LED won't light with only 3 volts. Too much voltage on a 3v LED will burn it out.

What kind of amperage does your solar panel put out? If it doesn't supply enough amps it probably won't operate toys and appliances that require more.

chuck52

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:21 am
@parados,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have a volt meter and have confirmed the output 3 volt voltage. Also aware of the positive and negative legs of the of the 3V LED and tested it with two AA type ordinary batteries of 1.5 V Quite sure it would not have burnt out by reconnecting it to solar and battery cell.

I am not sure what ampere is being output by solar cell but am sure it ought to be sufficient to light up 3v LED.
0 Replies