The solar electrical scam

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 12:22 pm
A friend installed solar panels on his roof with the hope of never needing conventional electrical power anymore, as was advertised, but found to his dismay that he couldn't store DC power and use it at the same time, so he had to
go back to his old conventional electrical power source. His lawyer told him he had no case. The warrantee only covered parts and performance.

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:33 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Im not sure of your friends problem. I use and store all the time on my barn. I use all I want from the batteries which are charged by solar. I alwso have a DC/AC inverter . Most of what we use is DC however, (fans, lights, medicine fridge is gas. Only AC we need in the barn is for clippers)
????.

Going 100% Solar is a huge investmet. Do you work for the oil in andustry??
contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 02:01 pm
I doubt if this "friend" exists. We have solar panels on our roof and a grid tied inverter, and a meter that reads power in and power out, if we need more power than the inverter can supply, (which is quite rare) we buy power in and if it generates power we can't use, we sell it to the electricity company. It has been running for 18 months and it is giving me a much better return on investment than a mutual fund or similar.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 02:02 pm
@contrex,
where do you stand on Barney the dinosaur?
Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 02:08 pm
@Rockhead,
I'd be happy to stand on the corpse of Barney . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

where do you stand on Barney the dinosaur?

I'd be standing on that purple f*cks throat.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Im not sure of your friends problem. I use and store all the time on my barn. I use all I want from the batteries which are charged by solar. I alwso have a DC/AC inverter . Most of what we use is DC however, (fans, lights, medicine fridge is gas. Only AC we need in the barn is for clippers)
????.

Going 100% Solar is a huge investmet. Do you work for the oil in andustry??

Not the same. My friend only uses AC, which needs a a DC to AC inverter.
Rickoshay75

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 04:47 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I doubt if this "friend" exists. We have solar panels on our roof and a grid tied inverter, and a meter that reads power in and power out, if we need more power than the inverter can supply, (which is quite rare) we buy power in and if it generates power we can't use, we sell it to the electricity company. It has been running for 18 months and it is giving me a much better return on investment than a mutual fund or similar.

You doubt me, I doubt you. Where do we go from here?
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:36 pm
@Rickoshay75,
your "friend" either has no idea about the way the systems work or he's lying to you. Contrex is correct about PV (and hes in the UK).

Youre friend is given to fits of drama??
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 05:40 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
Not the same. My friend only uses AC, which needs a a DC to AC inverter.
its all the same. We too have an inverter but Ive chosen that my barn lighting is DC (24 v magna light system throughout) I leave the barn lights on all night and only draw from the AC side when I need to run clippers , milkers, or box fans.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Contrex is correct about PV (and hes in the UK).

I'm in Catalunya (Spain) actually
Rockhead

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:59 pm
@contrex,
what, you got kicked outta france again?
contrex

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 12:02 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what, you got kicked outta france again?

I moved about 15 miles across the border, from Languedoc-Rousillon to Catalunya.
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 05:10 am
@contrex,
cool. Kow any good Spanish jokes?

williams22

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 05:30 am
It would be great if AC works with Solar power ! Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 06:09 am
@williams22,
do you mean air conditioning or alternating current??
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 06:39 am
Catalunya is the Catalan version of what in English is usually referred to as Catalonia. Catalonia is the northeastern portion of what we now call Spain. In circa 800, Charlemagne claimed Catalonia, as well as a swathe of what would be the Franco-Spanish border region, as a buffer with the Muslim states of Andalusia. (When Roman authority collapsed in the Iberian penninsula, it was largely because of the invasion by Visigoths and Vandals, who set up several petty kingdoms. The invading Muslims named the region Andalusia, Al Andalus, because of the former Vandal overlords.)

The nobility of Catalonia had been nominated by the Holy Roman Emperor and the King of the Franks--but in 987 when Hugh Capet became the King of the Franks, the Count of Barcelona refused to acknowledge the authority of Capet, saying their loyalty had been to the Carolignian dynasty which was now defunct. Catalonia basically went its own way. Early in the 12th century, the Count of Barcelona married the Queen of Aragon, resulting in the county of Barcelona, as well as the rest of Catalonia, becoming feudatories of the Kingdom of Aragon.

Many of the nobility of Roussillon and Languedoc became feudatoriess of the Kings of Aragon, too. The Capetians were too weak to assert their authority, and the Occitans felt a greater affinity for the Catalans than they did the Franks. (Languedoc means "the tongue, or the language of oc," oc being the Occitan word for yes--in Occitan, Lenga d'òc.) Occitan was closer to Catalan than it was to the language of the Franks, and was spoken over a very wide area, stretching from Spain north of the County of Barcelona to northern Italy.

In the 11th and 12th centuries, a religious movement started in Languedoc which is now called Catharism. It is unlikely that those people called themselves Cathars, though. They referred to themselves as Bons Hommes (good men), or good Christians, and those who reached the highest levels of enlightenment (by their standards) called themselves "Perfects." In French and Occitan, that would be Parfait (hmm, now where have i heard that recently?). One of their offenses was to deny the authority of the Pope, which was, of course unforgiveable. Languedoc (including a good deal of Occitan-speaking northern Itally) and Catalonia were then the most urbanized areas of western Europe, very wealthy, and heavily populated. The papacy could not afford to ignore the challenge.

The joker who became pope at the end of the 12th century (don't recall his name) wanted the Franks to extirpate the heresy, but he couldn't get any takers. About 1210, though, he got the French King on side (don't recall his name either--probably Louis something), and announced a crusade, with the King promising the barons they could seize the lands of the Cathar lords. Essentially, they were making war on Pedro II of Aragon, but he felt himself too weak to send an army into the region to defend his feudal lieges--in large measure because the Count of Toulouse crawled to the Pope (literally crawled), losing almost half of his lands, but keeping the rest and being absolved of being a heretic (which he probably never was).

The Franks assembled a large army called "The Host," (l'Ost in Occitan), and for once such an army was fairly well organized, under the brutally asserted authority of Simon de Montfort. They seized Montpellier and occupied it as a base, and began the slaughter of the heretics. The Office of the Holy Inquisition was established then, too, to deal with the heresy. Untold thousands were slaughtered and the rich countryside, towns and cities were plundered. Once Carcassone was taken, it was pretty much over for the so-called Cathars. Most of the barons began to drift away, having gotten land grants and all the plunder they could carry--Montfort's army began to shrink. When he threatened the Roussillon, Pedro did not ignore that threat to Catalonia, and he said were no Cathars in his kingdom. With the weakened state of Montfort's army, the Pope basically said "OK, if you say so," and the "crusaders" turned their attention to northern Italy, which had no powerful overlord like Pedro. The city of Foix in Languedoc held out against the crusaders, and perhaps a few hundred genuine "Cathars" survived there.

At the end of the 13th century, France and Aragon concluded a treaty ceding the Roussillon to France, which then reliquished all claims to Catalonia. Catalonia remained the wealthiest, most indutrialized region of Spain--the jewell in the crown of Aragon.

When Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile were married (1470?), Aragon was looked upon as the junior partner, which was true militarily at least. They were both teenagers, and they were on the move constantly to assure the loyalty of their vassals. The Count of Barcelona was looked upon with deep suspicion, largely because he tolerated Muslims and Jews in Catalonia. With the sucess of the reconquista in 1492, the Catholic Monarchs asked for a special office of the Inquisition for their kingdoms (it was not really "Spain" yet) to extirpate heresy, but mostly to drive the Jews and Muslims from Spain. Their hand fell heavily on Catalonia, considered a refuge for heretics. Thus began the long decline of Catalan influence in Spanish affairs, although it remained the richest, most industrialized region of Spain. The Falange of Franco were particularly brutal in Catalonia.

Catalan remains a living language. Although Occitan is being revived, it basically became a dead language in the centuries after the French take-over. I belive there are very small pockets of Occitan speakers in Catalonia.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:28 am
@Rickoshay75,
It sounds like his system didn't come with a Solar Inverter, which seems a bit odd, unless he bought a really cheap unit or something, or if he only bought the solar and the DC (Batteries) without buying an inverter...

See if this helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_inverter

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 09:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I belive there are very small pockets of Occitan speakers in Catalonia.

Around 5,000 speakers in the Val d'Aran, and pockets across France and Italy. Since 2006 it has been one of the official langugages of Catalunya.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 10:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
cool. Kow any good Spanish jokes?

Doctor, doctor, no puedo recordar nada.
Vaya, y desde cuando tiene usted este problema?
¿Qué problema?

Doctor, doctor, tengo tendencias suicidas, ¿qué hago?
Págueme ya mismo.

0 Replies