Murray Lender, Who Introduced Many Americans To Bagels, Has Died

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:00 am
Murray Lender, Who Introduced Many Americans To Bagels, Has Died
March 22, 2012
by Mark Memmott - NPR

From a Connecticut bakery to the nation.

If you were young in the 1960s or '70s and like many of us didn't live around New York City, the first bagel you ever saw and enjoyed was probably a Lender's.

So it's with a sense of sadness and nostalgia that we pass along this, from The Associated Press:

"Murray Lender, who helped turn his father's small Connecticut bakery into a national company that introduced bagels to many Americans for the first time, has died in Florida. He was 81. Lender's wife, Gillie Lender, tells The Associated Press that her husband died Wednesday at a hospital in Miami from complications from a fall he suffered 10 weeks ago. The couple lived in both Aventura, Fla., and Woodbridge, Conn."

According to the Lender's Bagels website, it was in 1955 when "six bagels were put into a plastic bag, and for the first time, packaged bagels were sold in supermarkets."

Last year, the company says, "more than 750 million bagels passed through our ovens." Lender's Bagels was sold to Kraft in 1984.

The New Haven Register reports that city Mayor John DeStefano Jr. "called Lender a 'philanthropist' and 'entrepreneur' who was a member of a family that was 'this area's immigrant story of success and helped shape little cities like New Haven. The Lender family gave America the bagel."

Related note, added at 11:40 a.m. ET: Another man who meant a lot to our breakfasts died this month. Samuel L. Glazer, who along with Vincent G. Marotta Sr. invented the Mr. Coffee machine, passed away on March 12. He was 89. There's a substantial obit from the The Plain Dealer.

Fido

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 11:44 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Where ever Lender is going, he won't have to aport a halo... They will know he was great by his fresh from the toaster baggle..
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 02:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
He created something and it familiarized people with the idea of a bagel; however, what he was peddling didn't ever strike me as a bagel. You'll have to forgive me for having had too many real bagels over the years. Maybe there is a change to them when they become mass marketed?

At any rate, sorry to hear that he has left us.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:01 pm
That struck me as so arbitrary, Sturgis.

Sort of like...
First person: "Sturgis, who regaled us over the years with his wordsmithing and wit, has died"
Second person: "Well, I've seen real wordsmithing and wit, and I don't know what that was that Sturgis offered here, but it wasn't that. In any case, sorry he's dead."

??WTF?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 07:32 pm
@snood,
Quote:
That struck me as so arbitrary, Sturgis.
Oh, okay.

Quote:
First person: "Sturgis, who regaled us over the years with his wordsmithing and wit, has died"

I'm dead? When did this happen? Oh must have been after that dinner which has left me feeling sickly.
Quote:
Second person: "Well, I've seen real wordsmithing and wit, and I don't know what that was that Sturgis offered here, but it wasn't that. In any case, sorry he's dead."
I'm touched that somebody is sorry I croaked, even if I was a talentless hack, worse even than Larry Block.
I'd say more; but, apparently I'm dead.
Quote:
??WTF?

I never said every post made would come across with the fullest level of clarity.

Here it is in a nutshell for you snood and perhaps others as well.

Murray Lender died, I am truly sorry he has died as there were those who were touched by him and his creation of the mass market bagel. While he was able to introduce millions to the idea of the bagel; I myself never have really considered what was being made by his company to actually be a bagel. Having had non-factory made bagels, perhaps I've been spoiled by the warmth and freshness of a bagel made in a store just moments before I arrived. The Lender bagel, while having an interesting taste and texture never fully satisfied me (and they are much smaller in size as well).

Rest peacefully Murray Lender, you made millions of people happy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 08:26 pm
My family referred to Lender's as "Protestant bagels". Oy! frozen yet.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:22 pm
there was a short amount of time when I thought that Lender's were pretty good. Then I walked into a bagel shop in Monterey Ca. It was a revelation.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 06:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, I think most Americans have no idea what a real boiled than baked bagel tastes like. Water quality also effects them. You can't make a good bagel with chlorinated water. The worst bagel I ever had was in Kentucky. Basically tasted like an undercooked Pillsbury dinner roll that someone drilled a big hole in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 07:21 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
A good bagel is a thing of wonder.

Mr. Lender was part of a generation that helped open American and Canadian minds to a greater variety of foods. I think of Lender's bagels as gateway bagels.

From Wonderbread to Lender's, then to a fresh boiled and baked bagel.

A journey worth taking.

Thanks Mr. Lender!
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:22 am
My favorite commercial for Lender's was Murray himself holding a bagel and a bowl.
"People are concerned" he intoned "about not getting enough fiber in their breakfast if they don't eat it out of a bowl."
Puts bagel in the bowl. Shows bowl to the camera.
"There."
Big smile.
"Enjoy."

Joe(perfect simple message)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 08:41 am
@ehBeth,
Nicely put.

I had lots of Lender's bagels in Minnesota in the 70's and 80's.

I'm not sure I've had a real proper bagel yet.

I think Lender's bagels are their own category, like "Chinese Food" (the American construct) or pizza.

They're based on something, but become their own thing.

Yummy toasted. (With butter or cream cheese or even lox.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 11:42 pm
I'm very sorry to hear that Mr. Lender has died. He did a mitzvah in introducing the world to the bagel concept. However, I gotta agree with Sturgis. What he sold were not bagels as I grew up knowing them.

May Mr. Lender rest in peace.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2012 04:31 pm
Rye toast, without seeds, makes a bagel look like a poor cousin, in my opinion.

0 Replies