I follow the strip on Yahoo comics.
hingehead

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:31 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar you are so 21st Century!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:47 am
I don't follow every storyline in the strip, but when he gets on a good track, he is a must read.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 05:56 am
My paper is one of the ones that is not running it so I've been reading it online as well. I'd heard that all the strips had been leaked but my regular place to read it had the leak plugged so thanks for posting them all, edgar.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:06 am
The shaming wand.

Covered with a condom to remind you of what you should have used, on top of your pills.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 06:40 am
@hingehead,

half size... still a bit too wide...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17gbnyv0yzhevjpg/original.jpg
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:36 am
I abhor this kind of censorship, but this really belongs on the editorial page - not in the comics.

I vaguely remember another one of his strips being moved to our local paper's editorial page years ago.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 07:44 am
@PUNKEY,
Topical humor is not necessarily editorial comment.

Rush Limbaugh thinks what he does is both.

Joe(but it's not either)Nation
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:09 am
"I thee rape," though -- that's pretty strong stuff. I think I wouldn't mind my 11-year-old reading it, but she's been reading the comics when she get can her hands on them (we only get NYT daily delivery, no comics there) since she was six or so. I'm not sure I'd want to have that conversation with her at that age.

And there's a certain social compact that the comics (in a "family newspaper") are suitable for anyone who can read them. Double entendres are one thing, that's pretty blatant.

I salute Doonesbury for doing it anyway, but I think the removal is pretty predictable and even understandable. He's done this before to good effect -- probably gets a lot more views this way, but a different audience. So that works out fine.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:13 am
@hingehead,
Thank you Hingehead for dropping the link alongside with the strip images. Smile

If only these strips could actually convince anyone sitting in the middle of the road on the abortion issue as well as get those apathetic liberals to start kicking and screaming back to behind the political plate and start swinging at these horrid conservative pitches. (sorry for the horrible mixed analogies Confused )
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:14 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

My paper is one of the ones that is not running it so I've been reading it online as well. I'd heard that all the strips had been leaked but my regular place to read it had the leak plugged so thanks for posting them all, edgar.

Would you consider writing to your paper and complaining about their wrongheaded censorship Boomerang?
sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:21 am
@tsarstepan,
Who says there isn't lots of kicking and screaming going on?

There is around here.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 08:27 am
Doonesbury is the outstanding comic strip of my generation. I began reading it before it was syndicated in mainstream newspapers. Garry Trudeau started the strip when he was an undergraduate at Yale. My college newspaper and many other college newspapers carried all the early cartoons.

I buy book collections of the strip. The provide a chronicle of my generation.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 09:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

Would you consider writing to your paper and complaining about their wrongheaded censorship Boomerang?

They were very upfront about it, running an explanation of their decision on the front page and providing a link to where a person could read the strips. I was fine with that. In fact, I think it drew more attention to the comics than if they'd simply run them in their usual space.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 09:47 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
but I think the removal is pretty predictable and even understandable

Right wingers are doing this to women in a very very open manner using state power and therefore it should be freely and as openly discuss in or out of the comic pages.

This kind of war on women is going to affect your 11 years old in the near future so the main problem is hardly her reading about it.

If this is material fit for the state houses of this nation then it material fit for the comic section also.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Who says there isn't lots of kicking and screaming going on?

There is around here.

If you mean by kicking and screaming around a2k and other similar online forums, then how much of this kind of protest do you think really effects policymakers like the US Congress, those of the individual state legislatures, etc...? I'd say that no one in the right position will be effected by what's said here.

I'm hoping for kicking and screaming that comes in the forms of letter writing campaigns to their respective congress members and letters to the editor and such.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 10:28 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:

They were very upfront about it, running an explanation of their decision on the front page and providing a link to where a person could read the strips. I was fine with that. In fact, I think it drew more attention to the comics than if they'd simply run them in their usual space.

Good point. I can see the great benefit in that. Smile
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 11:47 am
There was an aricle in Monday's Guardian about this.

Quote:
The strip, published on Monday and scheduled to run all week, has been rejected by several papers, while others said they were switching it from the comic section to the editorial page.

In an email exchange with the Guardian, Trudeau expressed dismay over the papers' decision but was unrepentant, describing as "appalling" and "insane" Republican state moves on women's healthcare.

About 1,400 newspapers, including the Guardian, take the Doonesbury cartoon. The Guardian newspaper is running the cartoon as normal on Monday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/11/doonesbury-strip-texas-abortion-law?INTCMP=SRCH
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2012 12:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, "around here" was Columbus, Ohio.

I've participated in this and that, and it's been pretty effective thus far.
0 Replies