Sun 2 Jan, 2005 09:02 am
I wasn't sure which thread to post this to, but wanted to share it.
An observer from another planet could conclude that we're quite mad!
Why don't they just attach care packages to the bombs?
What, get the good & evil stuff all over in one go?
...and this ... One of many letters to the AGE editor:
Doing what's right is better than just having faith
January 4, 2005
The tragic tsunami has encouraged most religious leaders to encourage their flock to maintain their faith. Yet the challenge for people of faith, of whichever religion, is not whether they believe, but what they choose to do as a result of that belief.
What do the people of faith choose to do about it when:
· Their religion preaches love, yet seems to allow or condone hate?
· Their religion preaches mercy, yet seems to allow or condone cruel intolerance of fellow humans?
· Their religion preaches goodness, yet seems to breed greed?
· Their religion preaches kindness, yet seems to breed insensitivity to the plight of billions?
· Their religion preaches tolerance, yet seems to breed intolerance?
· Their religion promises redemption, yet seems to deliver misery?
· Their religion preaches inclusiveness, yet seems to practise profound exclusion?
· Their religion preaches justice, yet seems to be unjust, what do the people of faith choose to do about it?
· Their religion preaches honesty, yet seems to be dishonest?
· Their religion preaches the sanctity of children, yet the representatives of some of those religions prey on young children?
· Their religion preaches the sanctity of life, yet some knowingly sit idly by while millions of people die under their noses?
· Their religion preaches morality, yet some hide the immoral practices of their representatives?
· Their religion preaches the honour of their representatives, yet their representatives sin by their own standards?
· Their religion preaches their role as servants of God, yet they defy their God's message in order to ensconce and protect their sinecure?
Having faith is admirable, even when that which you have faith in is indefensible: what you do through your faith, however, is more important than faith alone.
-Dr Jack Jacoby, Black Rock
Bookmarking.... good finds MsOlga!
Thanks, k. And Greetings to you!
Interesting thread msolga
I'll be back :wink:
OK, that's it from me for now, but feel free to post what-ever contributions from your neck of the woods.... Anything to help make sense of it all will be much appreciated! Couldn't get much worse, could it?
These 3 men have joined forces publicly to assist the victims of the disaster. A wee little sign of a bit of hope?
Yes, yes indeed. <sigh>