Donations flood in after Catholic Church cuts fund to homeless agency

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 09:01 am
Mar. 11, 2012
Donations flood in after Catholic Church cuts fund to homeless agency
Cynthia Hubert | McClatchy Newspapers

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The first of hundreds of online donations to Francis House came in early Thursday, just after midnight, as news broke that the Catholic Church was cutting off funding to the homeless services agency because of its new director's support of Planned Parenthood and gay marriage.

By Friday morning, people from Sacramento and across the country had contributed roughly $8,000 to the nonprofit group, and the checks and telephone calls continued throughout the day.

"We've been swamped," said Michael Miiller, a member of the agency's corporate advisory board. "The generosity has been incredible."

In addition to donations from $20 to $1,500, the group has received offers of volunteer help and pledges of support from ordinary people and power brokers, including state Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg and Sen. Roger Dickinson, both Democrats.

The cash and pledges will fill the gap created in January, when the Catholic Diocese of Sacramento decided to discontinue funding Francis House as part of its annual appeal, Miiller said.

The Sacramento Bee published a story on the development Thursday that quickly went viral on the Web, triggering a lively online discussion and telephone calls to Francis House and the Catholic diocese. The diocese heard from vocal supporters of its decision as well as those who opposed it, said spokesman Kevin Eckery.

"We've had calls on both sides," Eckery said. "And we certainly don't begrudge any additional money donated to Francis House. They do great work."

For 41 years, Francis House has helped Sacramento's poor with basic needs such as housing and transportation. It is one of the largest homeless services agencies in the region, with an annual budget of about $500,000. For at least two decades, it received annual donations from the diocese ranging from $7,500 to $10,000.

In January, in a hand-delivered letter to the agency's executive director, the Rev. Faith Whitmore, the diocese said her "strong public support of Planned Parenthood and same-sex marriage" clashed with teachings of the church. Therefore, it is "impossible for the diocese to continue funding Francis House" as part of its Annual Catholic Appeal.

Whitmore, formerly the senior pastor of St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Sacramento, took over leadership of Francis House in April after the sudden death of executive director Gregory Bunker.

She has been a vocal supporter of Planned Parenthood, which provides a range of women's health services, including cancer screenings, contraception and abortion. The Catholic Church espouses "natural family planning," and staunchly opposes abortion.

Planned Parenthood has long been a target of conservative groups over the abortion issue. Most recently, it found itself at odds with a longtime ally, the Susan G. Komen cancer foundation. Under pressure from anti-abortion activists, Komen cut funding to the agency for breast cancer screening but reversed its decision following a public outcry.

Whitmore said that, although she supports a woman's right to choose an abortion, she has conflicted feelings about the issue.

"I am not pro-abortion," she said. "But I do support Planned Parenthood because they do more to help women get needed health care than any organization in the country."

Whitmore also has been a strong advocate of same-sex marriage, which the church opposes. The church was a primary financial backer of California's Proposition 8, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman.

As news spread about the diocese's decision to stop funding Francis House, its website lit up with donations. Supporters began arriving at the C Street agency when it opened a few hours later, and phoned and streamed in throughout the day.

Some expressed their unhappiness with the diocese's decision, Miiller said. Others "just wanted to make sure that we were able to backfill the lost donations" from the church.

"We really don't want to engage in politics," Miiller said. "We just say, 'Thank you so much for helping us help the poor.' Our hope is that the support continues. The need is great."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 10:30 am
Was this Francis House solely funded by the Catholic Churches? I doubt it since the CEO is a Methodist.

Any agency that depends on one egg in the basket is foolish. They should have a broad-based donor support system in place in case something like this does happen. (and it always does)

It's also ridiculous to think that only Democrats will come to the rescue to donate to this agency or to Planned Parenthood.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 03:32 pm
The diocese of Sacramento has made a response obviously oblivious to their utter nonsense. Apparently their old pal Jesus' tale about feeding and clothing doesn't mean much to them if you plan on feeding or clothing a homosexual or a woman who had an abortion...or most likely if you consort with such individuals.

No. To the mucky muck Catholic leaders sitting on their goldplated furniture, running water from gold plated faucets, eating with gold utensils, the story their old pal Jesus told in Matthew 25 verses 35-46 means diddly squat to them. When they read from their gold leafed Bible, about Jesus telling the guys that they fed him when hungry, gave him water when thirsty, etc. they add the words: 'except of course for sinners of every ilk'. The Cardinals and Bishops of course decide who is the sinner.

Okay, now on to the Diocese of Sacramento. http://www.diocese-sacramento.org/

Quote:
Diocese's Director of Social Services issues statement clarifying decision to withdraw funding for Francis House in 2012 Annual Catholic Appeal

The following statement has been released today by Father Michael F. Kiernan, Director of Social Services for the Diocese of Sacramento:

As you’ve probably seen in press reports this week, the Diocese of Sacramento has decided not to include funding for Francis House, a local Sacramento charity, in the 2012 Annual Catholic Appeal.

I notified Francis House in a 45-minute, face-to-face meeting with their Executive Director last January. It was a respectful conversation, reflecting the productive partnership we have enjoyed with Francis House and the good work Francis House has done — and will continue to do — on behalf of homeless families in Sacramento.

The decision wasn’t made lightly.

Catholic teaching compels us to help people in need, not because they are poor or sick, but because our concern for the poor is inseparable from our regard for human life and the dignity of the human person. It’s what compels us to protect life from natural birth to natural death, oppose abortion and act on our core belief that marriage is between one man and one woman.

While we don’t expect or require organizations that receive our grants to promote Catholic teaching, we do expect, along with the parishioners who contribute to the Annual Catholic Appeal, that these organizations and their leaders not actively oppose our strongly held beliefs.

Please be assured that our commitment to helping those who are homeless is undiminished. The funding that would have gone to Francis House will be directed to other homeless programs.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Rick Maya, Executive Director of The Catholic Foundation, at (916) 733-0266 or myself at (916) 733-0254.

Sure that money will go to other homeless programs...until they realize that those programs too have connections and good relations with the GLBT community and those who support the right to choose.

So, the Sacramento diocese behavior doesn't exactly surprise me, just makes me dislike the RCA a bit more.

The RCA and the Sacramento diocese at this time should recall the words of their buddy Jesus,

Matthew 25:
Quote:
41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

Right about now Rick Maya and a few others are staring at an eternity of punishment.
0 Replies