"She Closed The Book..." NPR's 3 minute fiction contest.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:23 am
@Roberta,
I think you make an important point. It should not be overlooked by anyone wanting to enter the contest. The man who wrote the sentence is not, I think, the only judge.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:24 am
@realjohnboy,
I like the first 'first' sentence.

I thought there was going to be some fine sci-fi writing coming our way through the door.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:54 am
http://www.npr.org/2012/03/10/148251671/three-minute-fiction-round-8-she-closed-the-book
Quote:
For Round 8, Urrea wants you to start your story with this sentence:

"She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door."

"The key being, of course, that 'finally,'" Urrea tells weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz. "There can be an infinity in what's going on with that 'finally.'"
For your story, you must use that full sentence exactly as it is. Those 17 words are included in the 600-word limit, too, but all the other words are up to you.

Now stop whining and start writing!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:32 am
@Roberta,
You well described what I was talking about when I said the commas were incorrect, implying one should either add one or delete one. <I like the series comma too.>

I think I'm not going to do this, but I've enjoyed the discussion and hope to read results, either here or at NPR.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 01:17 pm
I have made my beginning. I will retire from the thread, for now. Don't want to contaminate others' thoughts or to get theirs mixed with mine. Don't expect to read the finished product, as I am not optimistic about it.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Understood, Edgar.
The comma discussion was certainly amusing. Thanks, Roberta, for running that.
I have a story kind of thought out but I am having trouble with the woman and where her head is at. Working on that.
By the way, when you finish your story there is a way to have it printed here.
I nor anyone else on A2K will know from whence it came.
Details later.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:14 pm
@realjohnboy,
Good idea. The comments would be more objective.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 05:53 am
@realjohnboy,
... through the door.

She wondered briefly if anyone would recognise her from "before". She doubted it. Hell, she wouldn't have recognised herself.
She might have recognised the potential threat she posed, the tell-tale attire designed to disguise the payload, perhaps even the murderous intent willfully compressed into a vacant stare. She was trained to notice such things and to physically respond with explosive violence almost before the conscious thought had formed.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 09:25 am
I thought I would give this a bump since the final submission time is approaching.

Who has submitted?
If you haven't, why not?
realjohnboy

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 04:34 pm
@parados,
I wrote a story and submitted it. But I am not at all proud of it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 05:18 pm
Unless I have a sudden inspiration, mine is not getting finished. If I cannot be proud of a story I have made up my mind to sit on it. I recently eliminated one from my ebook projects.
0 Replies