Question, place thread in forum

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:14 am
Forgive me, I remember one of you fine fellas having explained how it’s done. But suppose I have submitted a question or an OP for discussion then later decide it should be cited also in one of the forums. How do I go about achieving this

Thanks again guys for all your help and endless patience
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,898 • Replies: 46

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:15 am
@dalehileman,
All you have to do is tag it.

Underneath the title of your OP there are little green words, one is "tag this topic." Click on that and add your tags. Each tag will assign your topic to a forum. (For example if you tag it "philosophy," it will appear in the philosophy forum.)
dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:16 am
@sozobe,
Thank you Soz most kindly

I am really impressed by a?k. Over a period of nearly 2 decades in any Website in which I’ve participated response is never so quick nor often even forthcoming at all
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:22 am
@dalehileman,
I was gonna answer, but i already toll ya once't . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:23 am
@dalehileman,
yeah, that's us alright, whenever we come forth, we're quick.

Joe(why does that not sound right?)Nation
dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:31 am
@Joe Nation,
Yes Joe it’s positively incredible. Incidentally what’s wrong with “Joe”?
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:48 am
@dalehileman,
Just say 'Joe' ten times, and you will see for yourself.

Cute answer, by the way.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 08:56 am
@roger,
Quote:
Just say 'Joe' ten times, and you will see for yourself.
I tried it, but it didn’t seem especially difficult so you must elaorate
Quote:
Cute answer, by the way.
Thank you, I think
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:00 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
green words, one is "tag this topic." Click on that
Thanks Soz but all I get is an empty box. I had hoped instead to get a list of forums, then select one by clicking on it

Maybe I’m expecting too much but thanks again
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:05 am
@dalehileman,

you can add any tag you like...
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:16 am
@Region Philbis,
Yes thanks Reg I realize that but given the empty box now I have to remember the exact title of the forum in which I wish my thread to be cited. Therefore the box should also contain a list of the forums so that I’d only have to click on one or at worst copy-paste it

Just a suggestion, not a criticism, I do mean well, am only trying to be helpful, I’m not such a bad person after all as implied by the refusal to edit 10 min after submission
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:32 am
@dalehileman,

plus there is no time limit on adding (or revising) tags.
so you need not add them while composing your topic...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
yeah, that's us alright, whenever we come forth, we're quick.

Joe(why does that not sound right?)Nation

It sounds right to me...although that may be why my first wife divorced me.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
plus there is no time limit on adding (or revising) tags.
Thanks Reg, that’s a definite plus

However if you have any say in the matter you might consider my suggestion in post #805 above

PS: In most all other Website forums the posts in a single thread are numbered consecutively. Not an impugnment, just an observation, hopefully constructive, no malgnment intended, I really do mean well though readily admit excessive audacity
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
@dalehileman,
"Tags" is a word for the subject matter of a thread. It is an internet system that originated, I am guessing, so that people can find threads if they look a subject up on google.com. Thus, you could have tagged this thread of yours as "forum usage", or "how to use a2k". People have by now tagged it for you.

I might tag a cooking discussion thread of mine as "baking","bread", "yeast bread", "no knead bread". That way, someone looking in google for different kinds of baking threads, or for very specific kinds of bread baking threads, will find that a2k addresses those subjects.

The reason the box was blank was that you didn't add tags to the box when you clicked on the little green words "tag this topic". You can also tag your thread when you fill in the question or discussion form - first, the thread title, next, the thread's opening post, and, finally, the tags you'd like to add.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:21 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Thus, you could have tagged this thread of yours as "forum usage", or "how to use a2k". People have by now tagged it for you.
Thanks oss, I was unaware that someone else might but thanks to anyone who has done so

Quote:
I might tag a cooking discussion thread of mine as "baking","bread", "yeast bread", "no knead bread".
Thanks also for that revelation, I had presumed one must enter the exact name of an a?k forum

Quote:
The reason the box was blank was that you didn't add tags to the box when you clicked on the little green words "tag this topic".
Yes of course but sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. What I had hoped for, was a listing of all the forum titles either in the box itself or in the window containing it

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:24 am
@dalehileman,
That's not how it works, no.

You tag it as you'd like. If the forum already exists, your topic then goes into that forum. (For example, if you tag it with the word "philosophy," it goes in the Philosophy forum.)

If the forum does not yet exist, you'll create it with your tag. (For example, if you tag it with "More Questions Sorry," a "More Questions Sorry" forum will be created, which contains one topic -- this one.)

Someone did that with "Tell Me Once" on this topic, for example. Here's the "Tell Me Once" forum:

http://able2know.org/forum/tell_me_once/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:26 am
@dalehileman,
On the old a2k, before the tagging system started, we did have a dozen or maybe a few more forum titles. Now with the tags, we have hundreds.

If you are looking for, say, philosopy as a subject, just put that tag into the SEARCH TAGS box on the right of the New Posts page..
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:41 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
(For example, if you tag it with the word "philosophy," it goes in the Philosophy forum.)
Okay but if I type "Games” for instance will it be placed in “Video Games” forum, in other words, wouldn’t I have to know the exact title

Quote:
If the forum does not yet exist, you'll create it with your tag. (For example, if you tag it with "More Questions Sorry," a "More Questions Sorry" forum will be created, which contains one topic -- this one.)
Now I’m a bit confused. There are 48 forums presently in a?k but if a new one can created by anyone at ant time why aren’t there already thousands of them
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 11:43 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Now with the tags, we have hundreds.
I count only 48

Quote:
If you are looking for, say, philosopy as a subject, just put that tag into the SEARCH TAGS box on the right of the New Posts page..
Maybe it’s a semantic issue where I’m interested in placing a thread in a certain forum where you’re discussing the generation of tags