Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:07 am
Doubtless it isn’t a new idea but I detect a phenom I call “automaticity” for want of a better term. It’s similar to determinism but not as absolute. The state of war is a typical example. As cave men the more aggressive and likely to ravage another community occupying perhaps more desirable cave also attracted the fem so as to propagate this quality so common in today’s leaders also

It’s a subconscious tendency wherein war is so well established as a medium of world relations that leaders feel vaguely uncomfortable in those brief periods of peace so capitulate to those feelings of unease by any excuse at all to start another conflict

It’s speculated the question why we haven’t yet heard from other worlds owes to the brief life of any civilization before it destroys itself in a nuclear war, curtailing any effort to attempt such communication. Indeed how many conventional wars have we experienced

Indeed we’ve flirted with such destruction in the arms race with Russia and even today such risk is abuilding with the Iran-Israel-U.S. affair. Thus it’s safe to predict another, bigger, conflict, this time using more impressive bombs

It’s automaticity

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,726 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:13 am
@dalehileman,
Maybe you should read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Same general idea, but the focus is on leadership and influence by inciting fear, rather than war.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 11:29 am
@roger,
Thank you Rog

Bt there seems to be a glitch of some sort: When I click on the link nothing happens

Edited to remark how dumb I am with incipient Alzheimer’s at 81, it’s not a link but just simply an underline. However a link to any pertinent review would be appreciated. Thanks much

Incidentally Rog it might not be a glitch at all but I note it’s often impossible to scroll in posting such as at this very moment. The up and down arrows work ok but scrolling is impossible

Someone has explained that for some obscure reason it’s done purposefully, that you have to type some 14 lines before scrolling is activated. Not at all a criticism but just a suggestion, perhaps it could be instituted instead after not 14 lines but just one

Again , I’m sure there’s a good reason I’m just too dense to realize and indeed 14 is best. I mean no harm, mine is just a suggestion, and my apologies to all those who my suggestions seem to irritate
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 12:22 pm
@dalehileman,
That was a good read. Enjoyable book from a good author.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Fear

http://www.amazon.com/State-Fear-Michael-Crichton/dp/0066214130
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 12:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, did you ever check your preference settings to ensure you've selected the choice that displays the entire post rather than the first few lines?

I've suggested that a few times but it sounds like you are still having that trouble.

Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Preferences" link there to make the change.

The line on the preferences page is the one that says:

Truncate Long Posts: You want to select NO.

If you select YES it will continue to truncate the posts.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 01:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Net thank you most kindly for those links
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 01:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Dale, did you ever check your preference settings
Probably not but if I did I have forgotten how in the meantime and apologize to one and all. But again, where’s the link

Quote:
Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "Preferences" link there to make the change.
Ah! there it is. Thanks once more most kindly

Edited to remark that alas, it’s already “No” but thanks for the heroic efforts on my behalf
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 02:37 pm
@dalehileman,
In order to be of any further help to you, I need you to do a more detailed description of what you mean by "it doesn't scroll."

Pretend I am blind and you have to describe in detail with words what you are seeing, how it is behaving and how you expected it to have behaved. Paint me a picture with words.

For instance, when you say the up and down arrows work but it doesn't scroll, are you referring to your computer's keyboard and mouse functions or something you are seeing on the A2K website?

Does this scrolling action happen correctly for you on other websites? If so, post a link to one that is an example of what you wish to see happen here?

If it is only on the A2K website, does it occur while you are reading existing posts in a thread, while you are newly composing in the text box that hasn't been posted yet, or while you are editing old text in a text box for a post that has already been posted to a thread?

When you say it doesn't scroll, are you saying there is no blue scroll bar for you to use or are you saying there is a scroll bar but it doesn't move?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 04:08 pm
@dalehileman,
I would use your term to suggest that the United States--more than any other armed country--goes to war almost AUTOMATICALLY. Look at our history since World War I and it is clear that we are a war machine, with our military industrial complex, a phrase coined by one of most famous generals. I feel a bit paranoid when I enunciate this "conspiracy theory", but it does seem that we are always looking for an excuse to blow up munitions so that we can make and sell more. Profits rather than aggression is the motivation. Even our soldiers have to be drafted or volunteer in leiu of employment.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
In order to be of any further help to you, I need you to do a more detailed description of what you mean by "it doesn't scroll."
Text cut off at bottom of box but unable to scroll in order to expose it
Quote:
Pretend I am blind and you have to describe in detail with words what you are seeing, how it is behaving and how you expected it to have behaved. Paint me a picture with words.
I click on “EDIT” in order to access a post. It appears in a box but the text at the bottom is cut off . Using mouse I place cursor in white area. Now I attempt to scroll in order to expose that text, again using mouse, but nothing happens
Quote:
For instance, when you say the up and down arrows work but it doesn't scroll, are you referring to your computer's keyboard and mouse functions or something you are seeing on the A2K website?
The former
Quote:
Does this scrolling action happen correctly for you on other websites?
Yes
Quote:
If so, post a link to one that is an example of what you wish to see happen here?
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=23994

Quote:
If it is only on the A2K website, does it occur while you are reading existing posts in a thread, while you are newly composing in the text box that hasn't been posted yet, or while you are editing old text in a text box for a post that has already been posted to a thread?
The third
Quote:
Quote:
When you say it doesn't scroll, are you saying there is no blue scroll bar for you to use or are you saying there is a scroll bar but it doesn't move?
Let me submit this post then edit, hang loose for a few minutes

There’s no scroll bar and I can’t use the mouse to scroll in order to expose text hidden at top and bottom, I am forced instead to use the up and down arrows. Magically and mysteriously however, after I typed that last sentence the scroll bar appeared. Some one of you had explained this to me, something about there has to be 14 lines before you can scroll or words somewhat to that effect. Perhaps when I typed that sentence we then had 14 lines, it’s confusing to the average clod (me)

But now everything else is going haywire. Your post to which I’m replying has disappeared entirely and so now I’m not sure whether I answered all your questions

If you don’t hear from me again til tomorrow morning it’s because the hour here is getting late but I promise to get back to you. But meantime, have I answered any at all to your satisfaction

Again thanks Fly for your interest
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2012 08:36 pm
@JLNobody,
JL you have reflected and condensed my own observation in a most excellent fashion

Fly you won’t find the thread to which I provided the link above very useful because of course you can’t edit my post. However when I went to edit it (At RealBeer you can edit indefinitely.), I could scroll it just fine
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 02:42 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the link. I am too tired to dig one up tonight, and would probably have forgotten tomorrow.

By the way, I found a new Crichton book completed after his death. It's called Micro. Haven't started it yet, but the (incomplete) introduction looks good.

PS to Dale: Micro is only underlined to show it is a book title. It isn't a link, so don't get discouraged when nothing happens.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 09:10 am
@roger,
Quote:
PS to Dale: Micro is only underlined to show it is a book title. It isn't a link, so don't get discouraged when nothing happens.
Yes, shortly after posting that comment I realized it wasn’t a link but when I attempted to edit the post accordingly I was advised that I am refused to do so because 10 min had elapsed and I am such a bad person

That 10 min feature needs to be addressed
Sturgis

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 12:51 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
That 10 min feature needs to be addressed

10 minutes is fine. The matter has been addressed...several times. Accept it. You get 10 minutes. Write your post. Preview your post and either accept it as is or edit or don't post at all and just go and click on any of the clickarshos on the top row. Lots of choices: Popular My Friends My Topics My Posts My Tags New Topics New Posts Unanswered

The current board form is different from what it was at one time and when it was changed it took a little time to adjust. Stick around and you may adjust...then again you might not.

If you make a post and the time for editing is gone, then, make another post with an updated version, be sure to indicate to the people here that the updated version is what you meant to have placed originally.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 01:51 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
10 minutes is fine. The matter has been addressed...several times. Accept it. You get 10 minutes.
Yes yes I know, don’t be angry

Quote:
The current board form is different from what it was at one time
I daresay

Quote:
and when it was changed it took a little time to adjust.
I’ll bet. Well I’m still trying

Quote:
Stick around and you may adjust...then again you might not.
Oh it will, perehaps in a few more weeks—or months

Quote:
If you make a post and the time for editing is gone, then, make another post with an updated version, be sure to indicate to the people here that the updated version is what you meant to have placed originally.
Of course I understand that. At another site before I persuaded them to extend their editing time from 15 min to 3 hrs, with each longer posting I’d be interrupted in the middle of a sentence or have an afterthought after submission that required an additional post as you suggest. Before they extended editing time I remember one thread where my “OP” consisted of 48 subsequent postings, a real mess

Please don’t feel obliged to reply and thank you one more for your patience and forbearance. I mean no harm. Only suggestions. Please don’t take me so seriously, I do mean well, I’m not a bad person once you get to know me
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 03:26 pm
@roger,
Sounds like a bacterial version of his nanoparticle book called "Prey."

I'll have to keep an eye out for the paperback version. I think it is the only book of his I have not yet read.
roger

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2012 03:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
It does sound like Prey, so far as the cover blurb reads. I get all my paperbacks at the second-hand book store, and don't have much to track down a particular title.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 03:38 pm
@roger,
Re
Quote:
Prey

http://able2know.org/topic/186104-1
0 Replies