Albert Finney as Winnie?

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 11:34 am
Last night, on pay TV, I watched While England Slept/The Gathering storm. I had no idea Winston Churchill was played by Albert Finney until the credits at the end of the flick. I was enthralled with Finney's performance and truly enjoyed every moment of the movie.

Curious that Churchill was labeled as a "war monger". Although George W. Bush in no Winston Churchill, the situations were similar, but that fact did not deter my captivation with the entire film. One critic observed that in every scene, Churchill had a drink in his hand.

Anyone else see it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 10
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 12:10 pm
(ohfergawdsakes... Letty, you had me worried that the Mouse Empire was filming a live action Pooh!)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:36 pm
I swear Seal, you are soooooo funny. Winnie der pooh and Finney der deux.
There were a few details of which I was not aware. The death of Churchill's young protegee who died when Winston fell out of favor, was one of them. A slight suggestion that it may have been suicide.

Can you believe that fat man? He ate, smoked, drank and lived into his eighties. Snatched from England in the prime of life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:14 pm
I think the never having a glass away from hand is close to true, but of course I can't back that up. Hmm, a prop?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 09:13 am
Osso, I have always been fascinated with Churchill. When I taught Humanities, and did the War unit, he was a favorite of the kids. It seemed that many of them appreciated his sense of humor (after it was explained) and chose to give a presentation on his role in WWII.

If I remember properly, his mother had a less than sterling reputation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:30 am
Is deux god or two in French? If it's two, that reminds me that Finney was in Two for the Road, one of my favorite movies at the time.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
deux is two in French, Osso. I remember the first time that I heard the term "sacre bleu". It literally means, blue Jesus. and the term "bloody" has the same connotation. Hmmmm, trying to remember Two for the Road. The first movie that I saw with Albert Finney was Tom Jones. My Virginia friend went to see that movie with an Episcopal priest. She was horrified at all the broken taboos. I laughed at her discomfort because he was the one who took HER to the movie.

AMC is having a rerun of all the Oscar movies. Hope I can watch, but I doubt it.

I don't think that I've ever seen a movie about Winston before, but my kids did have a hamster named after him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:54 am
Two for the Road This was written - I think - by Fredric Raphael, one of my favorite screenwriters.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 11:59 am
OK, Osso, I'm gonna check it out.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:05 pm
Albert Finnie as WTP
Johnie Depp as Piglet
John Malcovic as Eeyore
Susan Sarandon as Kanga
Britny Spears as Roo
John Goodman as Owl
Jim Carey as Rabbit
Tom Hanks as Cristopher Robin.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2004 12:21 pm
Hey, seal. Talk about variations on a theme.

And Alexander Beedle--Paul McCartney

After seeing the review on Two for the Road:

Kanga- Audrey Hepburn.

Hmmmmm. Wonder who could play Winston on A2K. Gotta be a Brit. Let's see.................................................................... Razz
0 Replies