Watching a Movie from iTunes Beyond 24 Hours

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 08:36 pm
I have a pretty icky DSL connection. (That will hopefully change soon, but it's what we've got now.) It's OK for most purposes but it takes about five hours for a movie to download from iTunes, for example.

We are finally watching the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies (they're pretty good! who knew) and we're halfway through "World's End."

We started watching it at about 7 PM today.

I've Googled this up the wazoo (that sounds rather indecent) but can't figure out the following:

- Do we need to start watching it before 7 PM tomorrow? Or finish by then? I found a thing from 2008 that said we just need to start by 7, but it's from 2008 and I'm not sure if that's current. The Apple FAQs have the more ambiguous, "You have 30 days from the time of rental to watch your movie, and 24 hours (in the US) or 48 hours (elsewhere) after you've started viewing to finish it. Once the rental period expires, the movie will disappear from your iTunes library." That makes it sound like it will be gone at 7 PM tomorrow, whether we're in the middle of watching it or not.

- Is there any way to extend the rental period without re-downloading the whole thing? Just pay another $2.99 and start a new rental period? I couldn't find anything about this so I'm thinking "no," but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,094 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2012 11:17 pm
@sozobe,
Personally I wouldn't waste any time or money on iTunes AT ALL. Why download the whole bloody movie when streaming will do fine if not better.

Netflix and Amazon are both great and reliable streaming services. Just finished trying out a new service, Vudu, as I watched Take Shelter for a free trial. Love their user interface and the prices aren't too bad. Impressive selection.
mesquite

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:13 am
@tsarstepan,
If she has a connection so bad that it takes five hours to download then streaming is not going to work. Another advantage to downloading is that you can download to a portable device and take it with you to view where you do not have a connection such as a plane or vehicle.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 01:16 am
@mesquite,
Not really at all. They're two different beasts in their SEPARATE entirety. Streaming compresses the video where your not downloading gigabytes of an entire movie.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:50 pm
@mesquite,
That's correct -- the other, larger problem, though, is a lack of captioning. Almost all of the streaming services I've looked at are really, really lousy about captioning.

iTunes is much better but still spotty. Not everything is captioned, but this was.

We actually originally got the movie from the library (free), but it was so beat up that it was unwatchable. (About 10 of the first 22 minutes were "skipping over damaged area...", before we gave up.)

We ended up deciding not to risk it and watched the second half this morning. (Busy day today, we wouldn't have time to watch between about 10 AM and about 6:30 PM and after the library disc annoyance just didn't want to risk having the last half hour cut off, even though I think it's likely it would have been fine.)

E.G. says we should watch action movies in the morning more often, he found it energizing. Smile

On to the fourth movie... (we're both pretty surprised at how much we're enjoying it. Johnny Depp is a genius.)

I don't suppose anyone knows the answer to this question though in terms of future reference? We're pretty busy and especially with these long movies (this one was almost three hours!) we don't always have time to watch it all at once.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 02:58 pm
And they wonder why people use Bit Torrent.
dream

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:21 am
@contrex,
The iTunes rental movies was limited by Fairplay DRM protection, so to watch the movie beyond 24 hours, you have to remove the Fairplay DRM protection at first, some DRM removal software will be helpful, like TunesKit DRM Media Converter for Mac.
contrex

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:56 pm
@dream,
Spamming a thread that died 2 years ago.

0 Replies