My neighbor is on a fixed income

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 10:12 am
@MMarciano,
That's a perfect solution then. Can't wait to hear the outcome !
chai2

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 10:23 am
@CalamityJane,
I also love the idea that this is teaching the boy the importance of helping out a neighbor and friend.

If there's something you can do directly, why get some nameless bureaucracy involved?
Adam4Adam

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 12:07 pm
@MMarciano,
That's very kind of you Marco, love you boys!
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 04:46 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
If there's something you can do directly, why get some nameless bureaucracy involved?

Because both might be helpful to the neighbor. And the more sources of support, including social services support, he has available to him, the better.

The "nameless bureaucracy" is not all that impersonal--there are a great many services and benefits available to seniors that the neighbor might not even know about. Some are financial, but others address other needs or issues. That's the reason that social workers are connected to the senior centers--they help people find these services that might help to make their lives easier or better. Aging and living alone can be difficult, services for seniors offer various supports, both financial and social, that can be helpful for the neighbor both now and in the future.

I was struck by the fact that having the electricity turned off is a rather drastic, and really dangerous, unsafe situation for a 72 year old who lives alone. All sorts of things can happen in a dark house--falls, fires if candles are used for light, illness if food can't be properly refrigerated or refrigerated at all, cooking may be impossible, some types of phones may not work, etc.--beside the interminable boredom of just sitting in the dark without much you can do without electricity. And, should this happen again, in the heat of a Florida summer, so he'd be without air-conditioning, it could be life-threatening for an elderly person.

I think it was aidan who pointed out that electricity is the one bill, above all, that's got to be paid, and I agree with that. But this man couldn't/didn't do that, nor did he apparently reach out for help from some source so the electricity wouldn't be turned off. That tells me this man needs more than a helpful and supportive neighbor, he needs a social service safety net underneath him too--some social service that will prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. And he may also need some sort of assistance with other matters that jcboy knows nothing about.

No one should be embarrassed about being in financial difficulty, particularly in the current economic climate, and particularly a senior on a fixed income. It's not an embarrassing situation, it's a stressful one. And this man has to be able to ask for and get some help with whatever it is he needs--he can't go without electricity, or food, or medication, if he needs it. Addressing the situation more directly with him would seem rather vital, and, as aidan also pointed out, it's treating him with more respect. He might not know that assistance and benefits and discounts are available to seniors, or where to look for them, or how to go about getting them. Giving him odd jobs to do, so he can earn some money, is a great idea, but it might not fully address what this man needs. Maybe he needs a reverse mortgage, or a border living in the house to help him cover expenses (jcboy said he has a large house), maybe he needs a social worker to help him obtain benefits and services, and who can make sure that things like electricity aren't turned off, and that he has enough to eat, and that he has needed medications.

But someone has to talk with him somewhat directly to get some idea of his overall situation and what he does need, and this man may be perfectly willing to do that. Just because he's never mentioned such things when he's spoken to jcboy doesn't mean he wouldn't want to talk about them, particularly with someone who wants to help him. Maybe he doesn't like to complain or burden others with his problems, but he also might welcome the opportunity to do that if someone shows interest. Maybe he's just felt that others weren't interested in his difficulties and that they were solely his problem. We don't know what's doing with him.

So, I can think of good reasons to connect him, at least to a social worker at a senior citizens center or a community agency that assists the elderly, and to try to discuss his problems with him in a direct manner.

0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 06:42 pm
We spend the afternoon with Gilbert, had a nice lunch and talk. I expressed our concern as a friend and a neighbor, I was upfront and honest and let him know what we heard.

He has enough to live on with a small pension and his social security but when something unexpected comes along like a house or car repair he comes up short. He’s not looking for any handouts but when I explained we will have to pay 60.00 a week just to have the dog sitter come out once a day to check on them and make sure they always have water, he agreed to take care of them for us. He pretty much does it anyway, he’s always checking on them while we’re at work, I’d rather have him then the dog sitter.

We couldn’t get the power company to turn on his electricity until tomorrow, but he’s okay with that.

Morgan is a nut! He went out and bought a 100 foot extension cord at homedepot and plugged it into our garage so Gilbert could watch TV tonight but Gilbert didn't pay the cable bill either.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 07:49 pm
@MMarciano,
That works out perfect then - you did a good job, guys, I am proud of you!

Hehehe, Morgan uses any excuse to run to home depot Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 08:02 pm
@MMarciano,
Terrific solution for all of you.

I hope I have neighbours like you in my future.
Eva

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2012 10:58 pm
@ehBeth,
In the future?! I wish they lived next door to me NOW*!

You guys are great!
<insert hopping up & down clapping emoticon here>

*And no, I don't need any help with my bills, but thank you.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:53 am
@MMarciano,
I'm glad the lunch with Gilbert went well, and that he'll be keeping an eye on the doggies for you. That is a good solution. And it's good that you were upfront with him about what you had heard.
Quote:
He has enough to live on with a small pension and his social security but when something unexpected comes along like a house or car repair he comes up short.

Those unexpected home/car repairs are the sorts of things seniors on fixed incomes often have problems with. That's why Gilbert should learn about some of the assistance programs available.

This program might have prevented his electricity from being turned off--and it might help him in the future, if he is income eligible.
http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/eheap.php
Quote:
Power bill aid for seniors

Senior citizens may be eligible for $600 to help pay power bills through the Emergency Energy Assistance Program.

To receive assistance, county residents who are age 60 or older must have a crisis with a delinquent notice from the utility company or a notice that power has been shut off. They may also qualify for a voucher for heaters and blankets. In hot weather, they may qualify to receive repairs to a cooling unit or a voucher for a fan.

Funded by the Area Agency on Aging of Pasco/Pinellas Inc., the program enables eligible seniors to receive help up to twice a year during each high-demand season. Pinellas County Health and Human Services staff members screen applicants to determine if they meet income limits: 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, a limit of $16,355 a year on a household of one. For two people, the income limit is $22,065. There is an addition of $5,730 for each additional household member.

Prospective clients can either stop by a Health and Human Services office or call for an appointment and information. Call Annie Shaw at (727) 464-8400 in Clearwater or Anne Eicher at (727) 582-7781 in St. Petersburg. Health and Human Services offices are located at 2189 Cleveland St., Suite 230, Clearwater, and at 647 First Ave. N., St. Petersburg.

This is a Web site with senior resources for your area in Florida
http://www.agingcarefl.org/
This is the state site.
http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/index.php

You and jcboy are great neighbors.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:46 am
You are wonderful neighbors and not only that very tactful and kind people.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:09 am
I feel much better today knowing they're going to be turning his power back on, and he's going to be taking care of the pups during the day is another load off my mine.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:23 pm
Sometimes we don’t know how are elderly neighbors are getting by and a lot of us might think they are getting by just fine, but we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors unless we make the effort to get involved.

There has been a lot of good advice posted here, I know I learned a lot and I thank you.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:44 pm
@MMarciano,
Hi, Marco. I'm in the trouble area myself, thus I know there are remedies - but the trouble is that people don't know how to, or don't want to, or are thwarted in trying to - understand.
Me, I had medicaid. I failed to fill out that I still needed it in time, and just by a day. Contacted the state at the end of that day, which gave me a number, and people from there sent me eleven letters that they would call me on June 1 at 8 a.m.

I was here, they didn't.

I've been depressed since.

Me, I know I need to get a grip.
Your neighbor - don't interfere, but pay attention.
chai2

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:29 pm
@ossobuco,
So after they didn't call you on 6/1, what did you do?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:31 pm
@chai2,
Nothing.

I'm a long time fighter, but that one killed me.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:43 pm
@ossobuco,
you need to talk to them again, and get a caseworker that you can talk to live and one on one.

it's a game with lots of stupid hoops, but it can be won.

you gotta get back on the horse and ride some more...

good luck
firefly

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, call your Congressperson's regional office, and explain what happened. Tell them you were supposed to get a phone call from Medicaid but it never came. Tell them how depressed you are about the situation, and ask if they can help you. They may be able to straighten it out for you, and that would be easier than trying to deal with Medicaid by yourself. That is the sort of thing a member of Congress can assist with. And they'll understand how important the medical coverage is for you.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 09:51 pm
@Rockhead,
Rocky, thank you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:03 pm
@firefly,
Firefly, I'm actually semi friends with a couple of ca congress people, though they don't know of my circumstances and I wouldn't push either of them to do stuff.

Well, this thread is apt to get me engaged.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:36 pm
@Rockhead,
You are right, I need to open those envelopes.

Avoidance is very strong.