Obviously Revenues Were Threatened

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:59 am
@djjd62,
Then you support the right of consumers to tell the advertisers how they feel.

And you support the right of the advertisers to tell Rush how they feel.

Right?

So what, exactly, is your beef with this whole process?
FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 09:59 am
@djjd62,
Technically everyone has this right. I have the right to yell faggot in a gay bar. Equally, I have the right to endure the ass beating that follows. Rush is currently exercising his right to said metaphorical ass beating. All is well.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:05 am
@DrewDad,
yes, let the advertisers have the say, i agree

i just hate the politics of language, and in my opinion the outrage over his comment has more to do with who he is than what he said
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:09 am
@djjd62,
1984 is always relevant.

But Rush was trying to control the debate through his language, too. Turnabout is fair play.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:21 am
@DrewDad,
possibly

i just want to be able to hear everything someone has to say, let me decide if it's out of bounds, not some public decency panel, let the consumer decide, if i don't like it i turn it off, i don't support it, but if someone wants to listen to him and he can get financial support, let him say what he wants

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:24 am
It's patently obvious that everything in this world is about *******. Are you ******* the right people? Right position? ******* too much? Not ******* enough? ******* your hand? ******* to make too many babies? ******* for sport instead of making babies? ******* people against their will, or children, or animals because you're a pervert? ******* people out of their money, their benefits, their freedoms because you're a power hungry greedy bastard? ******* people out of their possessions by stealing them because you're a thief?

MAYBE WE NEED AN 11TH COMMANDMENT.... THOU SHALT NOT ****.

Of course then none of us would be here.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:33 am
@djjd62,
But the messages you hear on the radio are already filtered and targeted to the audience, so I don't really agree with your premise.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:34 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Er.... what?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:37 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i don't see a difference, if you put yourself in the public eye, expect some repercussion

again, it's more about rush than it is defending this girls honour, at least folks could be honest about that
How about the defense of a fellow citizen... To you it is nothing and it means nothing, but the title of citizen is an honorable one, and without hard and fast evidence to the contrary, it should be presumed that our fellow citizens are honorable and honest, as many, if not most, are...

It may say something about the demoralized state of society, -that people should so need love, or that before they bind themselves with all sorts of oaths that they should kind of get to know who they are pledging themselves to hang with, but there should be the decent presumption of all people that these youths bed on honorable terms, and with mutual respect and kindness, and out of the absolute need and expectation of something better out of life than the kindness of strangers.....

Do you think the cruelty and heartlessness of people like this jock visited upon the width and breadth of society does not have an effect???... Do you think our children cannot see us as we are, maimed and unable to love, and do you think they do not see the religious right for what they are: so many pews reserved for hypocrits???... To teach our children to survive in our society as it crumbles we must teach them to be heartless assholes, and they resist it at every turn and hope desparetely for love and kindness... Try to see life through the eyes of the child you once were, and see if this world so full of rushes does not offend you...
Fido

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:39 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
i don't see a difference, if you put yourself in the public eye, expect some repercussion

You may not. But many others do.

Do you deserve to be specifically attacked for voting? Or driving your car?
Mutural respect and civility are the making of society as much as mutual distrust and animosity are the unmaking of it...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:42 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

consider the source i say, how could anyone take him seriously
We should be able to take all people seriously, and count onthem telling the truth... The truth is essential in everyones life... We need to know what is in order to make essential calculations and choices in regard to the future, some of which are political... Those who rob from us the truth, or make the term meaningless for their own gain, or the gain of their class are enemies of the people and of democracy... Such people as rush should be taken seriously up a scaffold and hung... They are taking what we cannot possibly live without..
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:43 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i support the right to say whatever you want about anyone, anytime, even if it's an out and out lie, think how much better political ads would be

i know it's completely unrealistic, it's just how i feel

Then you feel like an idiot...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:44 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

1984 is always relevant.

But Rush was trying to control the debate through his language, too. Turnabout is fair play.

Wrong....those who try to control the debate trough language insinst that the rest of us conform to their word choices, for instince when Firefly insists that I say "sexual assault" rather than "confused consent". Rush does not do that.
Fido

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

possibly

i just want to be able to hear everything someone has to say, let me decide if it's out of bounds, not some public decency panel, let the consumer decide, if i don't like it i turn it off, i don't support it, but if someone wants to listen to him and he can get financial support, let him say what he wants

We all came out of civil society, and it was because everyone was held accountable for their words and action, and because people were very careful to guard their honor as their highest value... Cu'chelain would drop people in a heartbeat if he thought they had dis'd him...The idea that any of our fellow citizens should have to suffer such insults from the face of a paid distortionist is a count against all of us...We don't need a panel, but we all do need the protection and permission of law to waste such idiots as rush the moment they step beyond the pale.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:49 am
@djjd62,
Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly that you think is happening with him? The consumers, in this case the advertisers because you and I don't pay for radio programs unless they are on satellite radio, are doing exactly what you say. The government has not stepped in at all. What would you prefer to see happen?

I'm also curious if you heard any of the clips from his three days of ranting. The idea that this is all about word choice suggests that maybe you haven't.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:56 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

djjd62 wrote:

again, it's more about rush than it is defending this girls honour, at least folks could be honest about that
How about the defense of a fellow citizen... To you it is nothing and it means nothing, but the title of citizen is an honorable one, and without hard and fast evidence to the contrary, it should be presumed that our fellow citizens are honorable and honest, as many, if not most, are...

couldn't agree more (except for the part about it being nothing to me), but i don't think that's really the case here

i wouldn't have said what he said, but i defend his right to say it, at least in an idealogical sense, and yes he's feeling the consequence, which is neither here nor there with me, i'd prefer he was allowed to go on, what evil folks say is just as important as what decent folk say, perhaps more so
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:58 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
actually i'd go one step further, if abortion became mandatory worldwide, the world would be a paradise in a generation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 10:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Your insistence on your language is no less an attempt at control than anyone else's. You just don't seem to like it when other people push back.

Rush wants to call her names. That's definitely an attempt to control the debate through language.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 11:10 am
@FreeDuck,
i get it folks complained and advertisers are bailing, as is their right

i have heard a fair bit of audio from the shows over the last few days

i do listen to mostly satellite radio, and some terrestrial podcasts, i see big changes in the way terrestrial shows are able to conduct business over the years, and this incident and a few others lately (the whitney crack ho debacle) are just going to compound that
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2012 11:11 am
@DrewDad,
did he change your mind?

i'm guessing he strengthened your position, so i'd say you won, by him being a jerk
0 Replies