Will CPS take my kids?

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:03 pm
I have three children. I am divorce and my ex wife and I have share custody. My daughter is over and told me that when they are with their mom they are left home alone. Their ages are 5,7 and 9.. If I report this to CPS and this comes out true will CPS take my kids? What may happen to them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,933 • Replies: 8
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:32 pm
First discuss this with the mother. See if this is accurate.

If she needs to get a babysitter, then help her find one.

Work with her about this before you go to the authorities.
Alytx2010

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:41 pm
@PUNKEY,
Thank you for the reply.

The mother and I don't get along. I've tried working things out with her, I've told her many times that if she is busy I can always take care of the kids. But she doesn't let. And for me to find out that theyre left alone I'm not sure what to do.

I know that my daughter is telling the truth because she is always the one who gets yelled at by her mom for telling stuff that goes around at her moms place.

Also their mom threat them saying that if they tell me they will end up with CPS.

What may happen if CPS investigates and find out?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:49 pm
Someone needs to make the call to CPS and an investigation will be initiated.
Usually a worker will come to the home, do an interview and take a look at the living conditions of the children. Mother may be ordered to go to parenting classes. Possibly a warning.

For how long are the children being left alone?
Alytx2010

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:56 pm
@PUNKEY,
They're left at night for two to three hours.

My daughter says she cooks for herself and do things for herself. She burnt yourself once for cooking by herself. My son says sometimes they go to sleep being hungry.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 07:39 am
If you aren't going to talk to the mother about this, then petition the court for full custody. The "reason" for your petition will reveal what's allegedly going on in the home.

Next time the kids are "left alone" have your daughter call you so you can go over there and see this in person. You are going to need hard evidence.

Are there any relatives that can help out? Does the mother have relatives nearby that you can talk to?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 07:55 am
@Alytx2010,
Would you be able to take over full care and custody of the children?

In a number of jurisdictions, CPS would try to assess if the other parent could assume full custody. It's usually the preferred outcome.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 10:18 am
It definitely needs to be reported. CPS will go there with a police officer and investigate the situation. They may very well help your ex-wife with some social services. They don't want to remove the children unless they have to. It's very destructive to families to have them torn apart. However, they will if they think the children are neglected, abandoned, abused or in some other danger (such as your daughter burning herself while cooking).

Leaving them alone is negligence, but it's not criminal. They'll counsel her as to what is appropriate and inappropriate behaviour, provide her with some assistance, and monitor the situation carefully. If they find she doesn't improve her behaviour, then they'll take steps. Even if they do apprehend (remove) the children, she'll be allowed visiting rights (as will you).

My daughter is a CPS worker in Ontario and I consulted with her before writing this. They take reports of minor children very seriously, and will involve you if you ask them to.

Good luck.
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 01:57 am
the best thing to do is to talk
but since u said that u don't get along well,
then u can talk to a lawyer for an arrangement.
0 Replies