This. Explains. EVERYTHING.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 10:11 am
It's not merely optimism, but rather that a total lack of expertise that renders the ignorant unable to recognize their deficiencies.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/user-12957/incompetence_entry_0227.jpg

Quote:
A growing body of psychology research shows that incompetence deprives people of the ability to recognize their own incompetence. To put it bluntly, dumb people are too dumb to know it. Similarly, unfunny people don't have a good enough sense of humor to tell.

This disconnect may be responsible for many of society's problems.

With more than a decade's worth of research, David Dunning, a psychologist at Cornell University, has demonstrated that humans find it "intrinsically difficult to get a sense of what we don't know." Whether an individual lacks competence in logical reasoning, emotional intelligence, humor or even chess abilities, the person still tends to rate his or her skills in that area as being above average.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 930 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 11:04 am
@DrewDad,
Unless I missed it, the article did not explain why people over estimate their intelligence. I believe it often has to do with the fact that many people live in a culture/sub-culture that offers them popular notions/dogma/beliefs that allows the adherents to be deluded into thinking one's thinking is quite correct.

I think society benefits in that many people are content in their station in life, not thinking it could be an inferior station. Therefore, no rebellion.

An important point might be that the ignorant are very content in their ignorance. In fact, many wear it as a badge of honor, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 11:08 am
The Romans demonstrated long ago, and for two thousand years, that a well-organized society can not only immunize itself from incompetence, but even create systems which can exploit the paltry abilities of the incompetent. This is society's failure . . . we are letting down the bone ignorant and the bumbling stumble-bums among us.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:34 pm
@DrewDad,
Boyfriend arrested in deadly cannon explosion

Quote:
A 38-year-old woman was killed and her boyfriend was arrested Tuesday after authorities said the man ignited a homemade cannon that sent shrapnel into their Potrero trailer around midnight.

The boyfriend, identified as Richard Fox, 39, told investigators he had ignited the makeshift artillery outside the trailer and it went off.

Martinez said Fox had loaded the cannon with powder taken from fireworks.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 05:38 pm
@DrewDad,
sad...

and it exemplifies the inherent dangers of living with a darwin award winner.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 06:07 pm
@Rockhead,
Honorable mention, maybe, but theoretically he's still able to reproduce.
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:48 pm
@DrewDad,
This just validates everything I already know. ; )
0 Replies