Essay rights

Wodie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:11 pm
Say I write an economic forecast and company descriptions for a quarterly report. I am no longer a member of that group so I do not want them using my writings in the report. Can I prevent them from using my work even if they cite me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,321 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
Did it get published?

Once it's "out there" you really can't retro-copyright it.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:59 pm
@Wodie,
It's probably going to make a lot of difference on your (former) terms of employment. My thinking is if you were paid to write it for their quarterly report, it likely belongs to them. Large companies and universities deal with this kind of thing at the time of hiring.
Wodie

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 04:29 pm
@roger,
No, it was a voluntary portfolio manager assignment with no contract for the university. The report is still in revising/final stage but not released.
rhansen

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 07:36 am
@Wodie,
An original document signed by the originator is a legal copy right, if you can prove it in a court of law. If you produce a document at your place of employment it all depends on what you signed when you were hired. Many companies make you sign a waver that says everything you create while employed on or off campus becomes the property of the employer. If you receive grants for school, beware of the agreements you sign. I had a client whose wife while working on her doctorate invented the LED. Because she signed and agreement with the company who granted her the funds she lost all rights. The best method is to exercise care about what you sign and register your work with the US Copy Right Office. However, this will not guarantee theft by unscrupulous individuals or court battles with large companies who use it to make a profit. Be smart and protect yourself.
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:35 am
did u sign any contract regarding this?
0 Replies