Effect Amplification

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2004 06:25 pm
If a single event effects a group of people, is that effect amplified or reduced through time?

I'm asking more from a historical standpoint. Would you say that the original laws of Hammurabi changed the world and because of that, every decision we make will be effected by those laws in an ever-expanding web of cause and effect? Or would you say that those laws had a large impact initially and then the effects subsided after each consecutive year?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 7
No top replies

rufio

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 02:37 am
You can't really trace the effects of things past the direct causes. We've already established many times that the relationship of cause/effect itself is more or less socially contructed depending on the nature of the event, etc.... but even if you consider cause/effect as standing alone (which I would regardless), once you get past a few generations of effects, those effects are invariably affects of not only your particular cause, but also of many other causes - eventually, so many causes that even if you wanted to say that an event was partially caused by one other event, that part would be something close to 1/infinity. Assuming, of course, that one could distinguish "events" well enough to do the statistics, which is not possible.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 05:19 pm
You completely lost me...
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:07 pm
Well, it's like, say event A can be said to cause event B. But event C also played a part in causing event B. You would have to say that the effect of event A was neccessarily diluted in event B because event C was also a cause. And so forth, ad infinitum. Events that were caused by event B might only be ultimately caused in very small part by event A.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2004 11:53 pm
Yet A effects B, and B effects C (a different C) only because of A's influence. Then C effects D, E, and so on and so forth. So couldn't you say that the effects of A continually spread and grow as more and more events depend on the original A?

This is precisely why I am confused.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:42 am
But B doesn't affect anything else just because of A. It is also because of C (MY C). I would say that as more influences get involved, the original influence gets diluted.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 04:45 pm
Oh boy, stalemate...

I went through all of this in my head already and couldn't find a good answer.
0 Replies

Moogle

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2004 06:36 pm
Re: Effect Amplification
Individual wrote:
If a single event [a]ffects a group of people, is that [a]ffect[ion] amplified or reduced through time?

I will presume you to be contemplating the influence of an effect, over time, and answer that such influence can both increase or decrease; an effect could potentially be shown to be of considerable importance, and later on then shown to have waned to a state of inconsiderable importance, while the effect could also be described as chaotic, where then an initial condition of inconsiderable importance would later-on snowball into a condition of great importance. As with biological organisms, influences can be created, or brought to life, and eventually diminished to imperceptibility, or brought to death.

For example, from a historical standpoint, we can consider Albert Einstein's influence today, being popularly seen as a giantic pioneer in the field of physics, as fairly strong, and then compare that influence to his future influence, after his abuse of a clerical position to plagiarise unpublished works and then publish them in his own name becomes more common-knowledge, where the public slowly forgets him.

As an opposing example, consider fractal theory, where a change of a single point of a myriad, could change the entire myriad of points.
0 Replies