need help with problem. related to magnetic fields

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 11:39 am
The object is a charged plate.When the charged plate is rotated , it creates an electromagnetic field , that hypothetically would allow it to levitate on earths magnetic field(if strong enough).

the object has a charge of X , and spins at X rpm inorder to lift one ton.

can u solve this problem for me?

how fast does it have to spin , and with what charge. Inorder to create a electromagnetic field , strong enough to levitate 1ton on earths magnetic field.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,156 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Fido

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 12:38 pm
@number1GOD ,
number1GOD wrote:

The object is a charged plate.When the charged plate is rotated , it creates an electromagnetic field , that hypothetically would allow it to levitate on earths magnetic field(if strong enough).

the object has a charge of X , and spins at X rpm inorder to lift one ton.

can u solve this problem for me?

how fast does it have to spin , and with what charge. Inorder to create a electromagnetic field , strong enough to levitate 1ton on earths magnetic field.
I think the whole premise is flawed... Look at a compass which has a magnetic field by virtue of the alignment of its atoms... All it does is orientate itself to the magnetic field of the earth... In the process of cooling, volcanic rock orietates its atoms to the magnetic field of the earth as well; but you should try to understand how impossibly weak the forces of physics grow at a distance... It takes a while for a moved needle on a compass to point north and south even in a virtually frictionless setting... Really good compasses can be pulled out of orientation by a passing truck... The earth is covered with magnetic anomilies (sp) and these are very visible on marine maps... Consider the brightness of a light... Up close it may be too bright to look at... A few feet distant and it may still be bright, and bright enought to read by... Double that amount and the force grows ever more dim, and a certain ratio until you can see the light only, and hardly recognize its reflection... This is true of the force of gravity, and I believe the strong and weak forces, and I expect it is more true obviously true in regard to electo magnetic forces... If you wanted to do something, then add or subtract an electron from it, and that would increase or decrease the attraction many fold... A certain quantity of electricity is always linked to one gramme- atom of univalent substance, namely F=96520 coulumbs... If either the earth or the moon carried this charge, even at the great distance apart, they would atract or repel each other with a force of several hundred kilograms
0 Replies