Need help in understanding this quote!

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 03:46 am
I have to write a persuasive essay on the topic "Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television",which is a quote by rita mae.I'm having difficulty in understanding what this quote exactly means and how i should approach it.Can someone please breakdown for me real simple,some example might help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,953 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Fido

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 06:56 am
@Muqueet1,
I think it is untrue, so I will not trouble to translate it... But I will discuss it with you..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:04 am
@Muqueet1,
Try working backwards and compare the worst propoganda to a television sitcom. That may help you understand the difference between moral passion and entertainment.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
@Muqueet1,
Muqueet1 wrote:

I have to write a persuasive essay on the topic "Art is moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television",which is a quote by rita mae.I'm having difficulty in understanding what this quote exactly means and how i should approach it.Can someone please breakdown for me real simple,some example might help!
I would say art is subject... Yes; it is good if there is some passion because passion makes good entertainment... No one wants to know more about a life absorbed in ennuir... Those people who burn through their lives from moment to moment make decent art, at least decent subjects for art...

Art is a form, and all successful forms have honesty and truth in them... All forms are forms of relationship, and no relationship is successful without truth... Truth is essential to all forms of communication, and Art is one such form... Propaganda is not truth, and if it were truth it would be called truth... At its origin, propaganda was first produced for the propagation of the faith, meaning the Catholic Faith...Advertizing is a form of propaganda, but it is not truth, and without truth the object is to injure, and that object is common to all deliberate forms of mis-communication, so no matter how much craft is involved in the production of propaganda, it will never be art...

Think of it... Truth is essential in all of our lives... We cannot plan for the future, or take lessons from the past without knowledge, which is truth... When the truth is denied to the people, by their government, and by those who own the economy and the means of production, then what they are entitled to is denied to them, and they are hurt... Art can only hurt those who live by the denial of truth, and they are many who can only live by the damage they do, by what they steal quite legally, by the facts they deny to those whose lives depend upon them... Art should find such people out, expose them for the thieves and parasites they are, and show the consequences of allowing such people to live...
Muqueet1

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 12:47 pm
@Fido,
Thank you! Helped alot sir!
0 Replies