signign rights over

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:35 pm
Hi I am the father to a three year old. I am the custodial parent because my son got taking from his biological mother leaving him unattended at 4 months! I live in Texas and last week the biological mother said she wanted to sign her rights over and didnt want anything to do with my son since her tax return got intercepted bc she never paid child support! I do have a wife and she is wanting to adopt my son. How can I do this without costing me a fortune, and if I have my attorney go through with this is there anyway I can get it to where if she doesnt show up in court the wont charge me double. She told me she was not paying any fees and was not getting an attorney....need help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 08:41 pm
@shood212,
your attorney should be able to explain all the ins and outs for you.

good luck.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 12:21 pm
@shood212,
Google "uncontested step parent adoption" + the name of your state and you should get some good information about what is required.

It cost my niece about $2,500. She's in Texas.

Whatever it costs is worth it.

My brother's mother died in childbirth, when my dad married my mom she raised my brother as her own child but never formally adopted him. When my dad died the lack of having a formal adoption caused all kinds of weirdness. Even though all of us kids were adults and agreed on a certain course of action it was impossible to do because no adoption had happened. My dad's been dead for more than 10 years and it's still causing weirdness.

Do the adoption despite the costs. Have a will drawn up while you're at it.

Good luck to you and yours.
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 02:26 am
speaking with a lawyer will definitely help u.
0 Replies